Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Welding on a Roll Crusher

Sharky ยท 2017-09-17 23:56

A quick question for those who have welded on roll crushers. I have been welding on these rolls for about 6 years now, usually about once a year. I have tried various rod and the last time I did it, I was sold a McKay hard face rod, but I never did document the exact type. However, it worked really well. This time around I ordered some more and told my supplier (Rebuilding and hard facing out of Spokane) that I wanted the same as last time. I recieved a Stoody hard face rod. While it seems to weld ok, I am getting lots of cracks along the weld bead. Tried changing to cooler temp and doing shorter beads and helped but didn't stop the problem. I just don't want to permanently damage them. Any suggestions from those who have done them for years?

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2017-09-20 19:42

    It is common on a lot of chromium carbide hardfacing rod to get cross checking. It is actually good because it reliefs the stress from the application of the hard facing. http://www.thefabricator.com/article/cuttingweldprep/frequently-asked-questions-about-hardfacing http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...-to/pages/cracks-hardfacing-welds-detail.aspx

  2. #2Jonas3022017-09-20 20:05

    http://www.preusserwelding.com/links.html Shoot Marty an email he will know what you need

  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2017-09-20 23:17

    Doing it for 6 years I'm sure you're paying attention to the thickness of the stack of adjustment shims so you maintain proper roll shell thickness. Mike

  4. #4Esfoder2018-09-24 10:29

    I've felt with John a bunch over the years. That guy can find most anything. I have a roll crusher that his guys welded up many years ago and it did the same thing. I don't think it's a big deal so long as its not flaking off? We also build up at the rotor on our Eagle UM-25 about twice a year and we have to watch the temps and per-heat it or it does all kinds of crazy stuff.

  5. #5komatsukid2018-10-09 19:19

    242?