Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

welding up a gear tooth

Volvomad ยท 2020-06-22 18:17

If you were mad as me and wanted to weld up a gear tooth , a straight cut spur gear tooth ,what would you use ? The top half of the tooth is stripped off . A bearing collapsed causing the problem, not extreme load . I already put it in my solid fuel stove,got it glowing and turned the stove down and left it in over night to soften it up . It is easily accessable if it fails . I dont have alot of time to waste ,but sometimes its nice to do strange stuff . I was thinking a 7018 , a 29/9 or ER70S-6 in the mig

Replies6
  1. #1Theweldor2020-06-22 18:20

    I use 7018

  2. #2akpolaris2020-06-22 18:21

    Build it up with brass, brazing?

  3. #3mitch5042020-06-22 20:37

    7018 works

  4. #4Bls repair2020-06-22 21:32

    What is gear made of? Cast iron or steel?

  5. #5Delmer2020-06-22 22:59

    Yes if steel. SS or nickle to butter up the first layer if it's cast iron. brass or brazing if you don't have electricity.

  6. #6Volvomad2020-06-24 19:18

    Made of steel and running naked on a needle bearing so I would think it case hardened . It is pretty hard anyway