Does anybody know what the difference is between the Portasol and Pyropen butane soldering irons that Weller makes? Which normally last the longest? I want something that will solder wiring joints in up to 6mm cable. I don't need to do any small work on circuit boards or anything like that. I have a Weller Jumbo WSTA5 and it has been great, but it is bigger than I need for most jobs. I also have a small one made by Wurth, which is too small for most jobs.
My Weller Pyropen is probably 25 years old and will still solder today. The drawback as with any heat used outdoors is it suffers in any kind of wind and the tip is actually very small for large cables. (think heatsink) Have you tried some of the mini torches that produce a very pointed blue flame that with some practice can solder and shrink wrap just about anything?
Here is what i use and love it. the kit comes with all kinds of attachments for soldering and a hot knife. i think i paid around $70 for it off the cornwell truck. i msure you can find it cheaper online http://www.powerprobe.com/ppmt.php
I bought a Weller WSTA3 Pyropen. It solders 6mm auto cable okay, and is a good size to handle and use, not as bulky as the WSTA5 Jumbo that I already had. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't have a built in lighter (like the WSTA5 Jumbo does), and so you have to light it with matches. I still don't know the difference between Pyropen and Portasol.