Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Well Dugh

Impact ยท 2013-07-21 08:14

I can be a little slow at times. I've learned something new. Crane operators are aware of boom deflection. I've always tried my best to compensate for it when picking a load, especially at long radius. I'd get aggrevated when my riggers would place my boom tip directly over a load and not ever think of boom deflection. I'd try and guess how much to boom up or winch up to keep it centered. If I was flagging, I'd stand in a position to observe the boom deflection and direct the operator accordingly. I recently noticed the radius on the computer screen changes as the boom deflects. Dugh. If radius starts at 90' with no load, simply boom up or winch up to keep the radius 90'. Load comes straight up. Recently I set big hvac roof top units at 138' with the grove 165. It has a function that shows where you are with the rear being at 0 degrees. And the front at 180. The hvac guys were amazed I put the new units exactly where the old ones came off. They only had to radio me to winch up or down. I can't believe I've been operating this long and didn't know the operating system accounted for boom deflection. We have three squirt boom cranes and they all account for boom deflection. Do all modern cranes?

Replies19
  1. #1Tiny2013-07-21 09:37

    The Demags and Groves do according to what I have discussed with the operators .

  2. #2cecil892013-07-21 11:03

    Sorry, Stop using the computer. I had the best computer when I broke out. It was a angle indicator on the boom. You either say this Is what I want. an Be the man. Or be a lever puller.

  3. #3Tiny2013-07-21 11:49

    Cecil , If you read the post you would see that he had just discovered that feature . Which means he "Be a man " . It's just another tool to use , Why not make the day easier on yourself ?? Cranes used to be steam powered but I don't see anyone saying BE A MAN and and shovel more coal into the boiler . If you treat it as an extra tool and don't let it replace common horse sense I see nothing wrong there .

  4. #4Impact2013-07-21 11:50

    Cecil, sorry but I gotta call bs. Whenever I broke out I didn't even have a boom indicator. There was no such thing as an a2b switch. But I two blocked...more than once. I have NEVER two blocked with an operating a2b switch. I'll agree we shouldn't rely on computers 100%, it is just another tool. But if a tool helps in the operation, we should use it. In a lift last week I was picking a 6,500 pound roof top unit, in the blind, at a 138' radius. There was 5' boom deflection both vertically and horizontally. There is no way gut feel will be more accurate in gauging boom deflection than the computer. Myself, I'll be the man, and use the computer as an aide, as it was designed to be.

  5. #5td25c2013-07-21 13:34

    Thats a nice feature on the Grove 165 that it tells the degrees on the swing table and the radius of the hook Impact.I just have the boom angle indicator on the old TM250.I put a tape measure under it and it's pretty accurate for what it is.When I set A/C units in the blind I position the empty boom & hook over the framework on the building where the A/C unit will set to help me get a visual reference on the boom & swing table degree.Gives me something to sight on,say a window or some feature on the building thats rite below the boom.Sometimes I'l have the rigger lay a sweatshirt over the edge of the building to mark the boom position.It's an extra step in the job but gives me a little peace of mind while setting in the seat blind.As for the boom deflection when I am lifting an old unit off the building I generally snug up the mainline then just boom up abit to help compensate for the deflection.

  6. #6Impact2013-07-21 14:07

    I've done the same things td25, and it works! Those old cranes like you have are pretty forgiving. Just sold a '73 model 35 tonner. In some cases it would pick as well as an 01 60 ton we have. These new ones..they just break. Just look at the total machine weights..steel just ain't there. It's like a pickup I traded off. It had the fuel injected 350 gas engine.. (Liter??) the new truck had the 302 engine (liter??) and salesman says it's just as powerful..bull. It would shift back and forth in and out of overdrive, w/o pulling anything but itself. It would pull a trailer..in first or second gear. It was like a guy with a little thingy..it was ok around home, but it wasn't worth nothing out on the road

  7. #7Buckethead2013-07-21 21:15

    Agreed. As much as I mistrust computers and electronics, I would still trust a computer before I trust a rigger I haven't already worked with.

  8. #8td25c2013-07-21 21:16

    I figured you had used similar techniques when setting a load in the past Impact. I still carry a 100' tape measure & marking paint in the crane. I hop out and measure the radius of the pic then put some paint on the ground as to where to set the crane.Then look at the chart to see what it's good for.It's old school & slow but it works.I have been looking at some (Crane Smart ) products. I would like to at least have a load cell so I know for sure whats on the hook. http://cranesmart.com/english/products/load_indicator_system.html

  9. #9Tiny2013-07-21 23:11

    Td25c , That same system was on the boom truck I drove and several other pieces , Pretty much trouble free . The set up on the boom truck even had a anti two block warning .

  10. #10willie592013-07-21 23:50

    I can only add one comment to this thread Impact...who say's you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

  11. #11lantraxco2013-07-22 01:18

    Better rifles and scopes don't make better marksmen.... but they do make the best more able.

  12. #12Impact2013-07-22 05:12

    Td25c..you'd love the load cell. It's amazinghow fast a 5,000 pick turns into 7,500 whenever you have a loadcell

  13. #13Tiny2013-07-22 16:55

    Or some goof ball left a hand full of sheet metal screws in the duct work of a roof top hvac unit

  14. #14dbl6122013-07-22 18:24

    the cave men didn't find out about warm clothes and the ice age got them. don't be left out in the cold fighting technology. its going to win weather you like it or not.

  15. #15td25c2013-07-22 21:41

    I'l probably try the load cell first & see how that go's Impact. Yes Tiny I remember the peterbilt boom truck having the (Crane Smart ) system on the" things done at work thread". It was on the first page HeavyEquipmentForums Thanks for the advice guys.

  16. #16oldtanker2013-07-22 22:35

    Wanna bet? I was looking at current US Army gear and they issue a reflective sight with the M4 Carbine now. Marksmanship scores have indeed gone up at longer ranges. Rick

  17. #17Revxracer2013-07-24 18:20

    was in a new link belt not long ago.....has an angle sensor on the shipper as well as in the tip of the boom.....was pickin' pretty heavy, 2,000 left of capacity to spare......there was an 8-9 degree difference from the shipper to the horse head......if the boom was yellow it woulda looked like a banana.... dunno if ya know this already of not Impact but another cool lil trick with using the radius....when tipping anything away or towards you......say a 30ft steel column.....if the piece is parallel with you, you automatically know you have to boom 30ft towards you or away to be centered on the column come time to pick it off the ground so it wont go driftin' and swingin around on ya.....if its at an angle....just hover the hook (dry run the hook) at the bottom of the column, "remember that radius"......go hook'er to the top, as you line up, boom to the radius you just remembered and you'll keep the drifting to a minimum......AND if its heavy and gonna have a decent amount of deflection use the trick ya just learned the other day to keep that radius and you wont knock over the guy at the end of the column steadying it as it comes off the ground.........

  18. #18Impact2013-07-24 19:20

    Yes' thats a cool trick Revracer, until the grunts grab the hook and tug it towards them 12'. When I see them reaching for it, I like to winch up till it's just barely outta reach.

  19. #19Revxracer2013-07-24 19:39

    haha yep, guys tryin' to git centered and the idiots grab the riggin/hook n drag'er over.........then if ya keep it above their heads they git pissed........owell.....cant win.....haha