Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Well, I done did it…Amulet Hoeclamp on my NH 675E W/Extend-A-Hoe

Swetz · 2021-04-25 10:07

Well, after pondering a hydraulic thumb on my machine, and a grapple on the front bucket, I decided to put the Hoeclamp by Amulet on. I only saw one manufacturer that offered a hydraulic thumb for this machine with an extend-a-hoe, and didn't like the look or the price. I paid $3120 shipped to a UPS freight terminal which is close to my house. The pallet weighed over #400, and I do not have any equipment to unload at my NJ house. Besides the paperwork, it was a breeze to pick it up from UPS Freight. In fact, by the time the paperwork was done the pallet was in my truck for at least 10 minuets...LOL The price was certainly more than I wanted to spend, however, I really did not want a fixed thumb, and I would have had to engineer the attachment. Also, the hydraulic model was more once you purchased all the parts to make the hydraulics work. I purchased the unit from Equipment Land. I called and spoke with Jeff, and we texted each other several times. The hoeclamp is made specifically to each order, so I had to take measurements from my bucket to supply to them. As far as order time, I was quoted 10-12 days to shipping. I waited twice that long, and Jeff informed me that Amulet had increased the timeframes on all orders after mine was ordered...Given the demand for equipment today, I guess that is understandable. First impressions: The thing is big and heavy!! At 1 1/4" thick, one can understand how it amasses #400. Second first impressions, the instructions $uck!. I received a manual that states that you need to look at the additional material supplied. Basically, the manual was made to keep the corporate lawyers happy. Although there was a specific instruction sheet supplied, I felt if could be much better...basically I put it aside and started lining up the parts to make it work. Again, with the technology available to day, they could have done much better! Final impression. I took the tractor out to give it test, and was truly impressed at its ability and loved the fact that the hoeclamp moves towards the bucket during the grab. I tried it on little rocks, medium rocks, boulders, and even on some rocks that the backhoe couldn't pick up. I also moved some trees that were previously cut down, just to see how it worked. Keep in mind that this was just a ~45 minute test, because I had other projects to do in order to keep the wife happy . As shipped.

Replies34
  1. #1Swetz2021-04-25 10:11

    Photo of the unit installed.

  2. #2Swetz2021-04-25 10:17

    The install: I first tried to put the unit on by using a strap come a long...no go...I have no idea what I was thinking...LOL. I then got out my compact tractor and put one of the forks on and used chain. The come a long helped to lift the tip to balance the unit so I could line up the pin. The hardest one to line up, and it shocked me, was the last ear on the bucket cylinder. I hooked a chain to the tractor and pulled on it, and it lined right up...without this help, I would have never gotten it!

  3. #3Swetz2021-04-25 10:19

    The short test:

  4. #4Swetz2021-04-25 10:40

    The position that I have the unit set for is grabbing, the hoeclamp also has a digging position. In order to accomplish this a pin is moved to a second position. The hoeclamp also has a stored position, by which you remove the teardrops and bolt the hoeclamp to the boom via the mount that I have not yet welded on, but came with the unit (covered in the instructions in my first post). Forgot to mention that I had to notch the supports on the bucket (instructions did state that some models may need this done). You can see where I notched in the pic below. I may come back to this and reinforce the area and Dremel it out pretty, but do not have the stuff here currently. The bracket in the second pic is welded to the boom. The hole in the hoeclamp in the 3rd pic is where you put the bolt to bolt the hoe clamp back.

  5. #5Bootheal2021-04-25 18:26

    Man, I wish you guys would not post stuff like this. This looks like a must have addition and I’m already running short on funds for this year! This hoe keeps me constantly in the poor house. In your opinion, could it work with a quick attach bucket? man, I’m really impressed with your pictures. Thanks for sharing....I think.

  6. #6NH575E2021-04-25 18:31

    Pretty neat looking attachment. I bet that gives the hoe a whole different feel with 400 extra pounds of pendulum weight on the end. Have you tried it in the digging hole yet? I eventually left my fixed thumb in the 90* position and just learned to work around it while digging. I don't think I've pulled a pin on it in a couple of years.

  7. #7Swetz2021-04-25 20:16

    LOL Yes, see the attached document.

  8. #8Swetz2021-04-25 20:22

    No, I actually plan to move all the rocks and trees in the area where my shop will be , then move it to the digging position to check it out. I have a lot of clamp work for it now, and my time at my place is limited, so it will prolly be a while till I try it out. I actually feel no difference when digging. I have only driven it a short distance so I haven't noticed that as of yet. I am not sure how soon I will be welding the bracket on to the boom as I have lots of work for the hoeclamp for some time to come.

  9. #9tpitt2021-04-25 20:30

    I bought one several years ago for my JCB. Love it, but welded a hook above it so I could use a come-a-long to lift it when changing pin settings.

  10. #10Swetz2021-04-25 20:52

    Thanks for the tip tpitt!

  11. #11stinky642021-04-27 01:21

    I'm with Bootheal, Tinkerer's homemade thumb project has got me scrounging around for some good steel to try his design, but if I sell a kidney I could probably get me one of them contraptions...

  12. #12Tinkerer2021-04-27 08:44

    The Amulet design is ingenious. I couldn't afford one. I see they also make one that incorporates a hydraulic cylinder. I think my thumb project was very affordable. I spent about $650.00 / $700.00 for mine. I purchased the 1"steel plates on ebay. I should have made it as soon as I bought the machine 15 years ago. I used it yesterday to move some sidewalks. Stupid easy for picking them up.

  13. #13skyking12021-04-27 09:17

    I'm also not seeing an extra 400 pounds there, those two plates replaced the factory ones so that was a bit of a wash. My guess would be 250 net max. Nice addition, I must say.

  14. #14Swetz2021-04-27 09:52

    ....SHHHH, dont tell my wife!!! I couldn't afford it either....gonna be eating beanie weenies (hotdogs and beans) for the next 6 months...LOL The model with the hydraulic cylinder was even more, but did not fit my extend - hoe. One of the reasons I chose to do it this way is the fact that I do not live where my tractor is...so, I was able to spend a couple hours installing, then right to work. If I was to build it, I have a weekend to work on it, then back home, so it could take months, and I loose another summer of work. I agree in principal. I have only had my tractor about a year, but we, as humans, put off things that once we have them we ask ourselves, why did I wait for that...it is usually the $$$$ to be honest.

  15. #15Swetz2021-04-27 10:06

    That is true, but the replacement plates are much heavier as they are double for most of the length. To your point as well, the pins are longer, but replacing existing pins. It is definitely not an extra #400 on the boom...prolly closer to #250-300 actual additional weight

  16. #16skyking12021-04-27 10:11

    my guess was close

  17. #17Tinkerer2021-04-29 07:20

    The style of my thumb can definitionally be be used with a quick-attach bucket. If you look at my photos the base plate for it is above the dipper pin.

  18. #18fred rosenberg2021-04-29 08:31

    I put one on my CAT 436B about 10 years ago. I wish I hadn’t. It adds so much weight to the back of that machine (its already kinda got a high CG) that if there is any kinda grade, I gotta go up in reverse. The digging position of the pin setting is kind of a joke too, the clamp hits the ground pretty quick after the bucket digs in. For moving brush/debris, or stacking rock walls, it cant be beat. But for 300$, the Chinese weld on bracket/thumb off Ebay works damn near as good. (I put that on my JD 310D). Much easier to stow away, for a full, unhindered digging position. The Amulet thumb is best if you have an extenda-a-hoe, and stack rock walls. If you just need a thumb now and then, to grab rocks, trees/brush, dont waste your money, buy the Chinese folding thumb off Fleabay. My .02 cents

  19. #19Vetech632021-04-29 08:37

    Saw "Extend-a-ho"........Thread not what I hoped. I'll leave now

  20. #20Swetz2021-04-29 09:24

    Well, it didn't say share-a-hoe, so I don't know what you expected...LOL

  21. #21NH575E2021-04-29 10:33

    A thumb is useful for picking a stump out of a hole or moving things within the reach of the swing but for moving stuff any distance a grapple or bucket clamp is going to be the tool of choice. If you are going to try and carry anything with the hoe end and stabilizers retracted you better have a loader bucket FULL of ballast. That stow bracket is pretty crude looking.

  22. #22Swetz2021-04-29 10:40

    NH575E, My plan is to use the thumb to remove the stumps, cut trees, and rocks. No plan to drive around with things clamped in the thumb. I am sure I will get to the thumb stow bracket, but for now I have to much use for the thumb. Although the stow is only a weld-on bracket with a bolt, I feel it will do the trick when needed...Prolly wont know for some time tho. We still have water and mud, so my access is limited at this point, but I am hopeful that I can get to work full swing in the next month...no real rush now that the price of my shop is so high and I am going to have to wait for the prices to come back down.

  23. #23NH575E2021-04-29 16:15

    I bet you will learn to do everything with it in the functional position so the stow bracket won't be needed. My comments on the stow bracket were referring to the ragged looking cuts. Compared to the rest of the parts it just looks like a homemade afterthought.

  24. #24T-town2021-04-29 20:42

    Swetz, Sorry to hear your 'plot' is still muddy..... I've had no issues down my way with the wet stuff. Did decide to put off the house build till next year...... $50 for 1/2 inch OSB?????. What's the world coming to....! Till then I'll have more time to prep the "yard". Great job on the thumb install..... looks real handy for stone stacking/ picking.

  25. #25Swetz2021-04-30 08:25

    Thanks, T-town! Once it gets dry, I intend to do some grading and put in more swales, but I gotta get through this wet season first...had heavy rain on Wednesday night, and it rained most of the nite again last night...mud is not going away any time soon! I know what you mean on the sheathing...I needed a piece of 1/2" plywood for a shim. I went to home depot and it was $45....I was like, really...***. I watched a youtube video in which they told everyone not to build a pole barn this year. They explained the prices of lumber by saying that the lumber companies stopped cutting lumber because they expected the market to be dead because of then the opposite happened, the market for lumber went crazy. So, they went back to cutting but the market was and is still so hot that they have not caught up, hence the high prices. Sounds plausible to me, but doesn't help the fact that my tractor is left outside...LOL EDIT: Screen shot of the coming days :-(

  26. #26Swetz2021-04-30 08:33

    NH575E, Is this what you are talking about?

  27. #27NH575E2021-04-30 09:46

    You ought to see the AC compressor mount on my machine. It looks as bad as this and maybe worse. I would have replaced it but they wanted to make me a deal at $750 so I shimmed and worked with what it had.

  28. #28Swetz2021-04-30 13:39

    NH575E, The piece that you pointed out with the red arrow is actually ant same piece as my second from the left blue arrow. This piece is tack welded where you see it for shipping purposes only, and is to be removed and welded in place once the mount is lined up (on the right side) with the boom. The piece you are referring to is cut like that to match the angle on the inside of the bracket.

  29. #29Tinkerer2021-05-01 09:20

    Is the correct front counter weight on it ? If it is you could additional weight to it. The same amount as the thumb added to the back end. I have seen T/L/B's with heavy steel plates welded to the front end loader bucket to add stability to the machine.

  30. #30SL Construction2024-04-27 09:06

    Necro-post revival alert! I'm considering one of these for my LB75 and am wondering how the thing has worked for you over the last 3 years? I recently bought a portable sawmill and wonder how it will work on logs?

  31. #31Swetz2024-04-27 10:58

    2 words...Love it! I have used it to move 100s of trees. If the hoe will lift it, the thumb will grip it tight enough to move it where you want it. The only downside to it is if you want to do a bunch of digging (like trenching). It requires you to remove a couple bolts (pins) in order to stow it 100% out of the way. I leave mine where it is when I am using it to dig stumps. The only thing I would say is that I am not as hot on Equipment Land as I once was. I contacted them multiple times to get a quote on a geith coupler for my excavator, and both times, they did not follow up. I just went to a local dealer and bought the geith unit. I do still love the Amulet hoe clamp tho, and would buy iy again in a second!

  32. #32SL Construction2024-04-27 13:17

    Swetz, Thanks. It looks like this will work for me then. I sent an email to Amulet for a quote, so we'll see what happens. Thanks again!

  33. #33IceHole2024-04-27 15:41

    I bought 3/4" OSB for a floor last week, was $43 a sheet. Same but plywood was $20 a sheet more. Seemed like they used to do like 1" or 1 1/8" for flooring, but didn't have anything like that. Granted even 3/4" wasn't too fun getting up on the mezzanine.

  34. #34Bootheal2024-04-27 23:41

    SL Construction, could we see your installation if it gets that far? I’m still on the fence but drooling… I did a small project for a neighbor a month ago where I cut through a terrace with a 12” bucket as deep as I could get. First for me that narrow, that deep. The terrace was relatively close to grain bins where they were burying underground power for a new well. Needed it deep if in the future more bins were needed. Terrace would get moved and not bother the power feed. Not sure which parts of the Amulet would need to come off to do such a deep trench…if any. The bucket pins were all shiny by the end as they were scraping the trench wall all the time.