Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Went 9 rounds with a suction hose…

Plongson ยท 2016-12-13 09:27

I'm beaten and bruised but I finally won... (Note: I'm fanatical about oil leaks!) I had a slight drip under the 210LE making a mess and decided to address the issue. It was identified as a bad suction hose from the hydraulic reservoir to the main pump. It's a simple and (I thought) common item easily replaced, man, was I wrong! Just a 1.5" wire inserted suction hose. After driving all over town (CAT, Case, a local tractor guy...) I ended up at a big rig repair and FINALLY scored a 12" hose for $25.00 . PRICEY!! Got back and after 4 frigg'n hours I wrangled that SOB in. It was like wrestling with a dang boa constrictor! Worked from the bottom, pulled the floor...worked from the top. I'm sore on all my edges and corners from the battle. Next time I'll just try snugging the clamps...LOL

Replies10
  1. #1kshansen2016-12-13 12:09

    $25.00 for a foot of wire reinforced suction hose made to handle hot oil sounds like a bargain to me. Especially considering the damage that could be done if that old hose was letting pump suck air while running or fail altogether. Not to mention the fire hazard an oil leak can create! Actually could most likely use a hydraulic suction hose without the wire, especially something that small a diameter.

  2. #2Plongson2016-12-13 12:32

    You're probably right on the price, I'm just old school and some of the prices we all pay seem exorbitant. In any event...it's in, it does not leak and I got the championship belt for kicking that hose's ***. LOL

  3. #3kshansen2016-12-13 13:40

    Well just had to see what a foot of Cat hose part number 5P1291 would cost here in NY. That would cost $24.00 Now this is listed as "hydraulic return hose" but would most likely work just fine in your application. So the price you paid for a wire reinforced hose is right in line.

  4. #4Zed2016-12-15 22:16

    KSH that is spot on what the suggested consumer price is for that hose so at least you know also that the dealer is charging you right. Also firmly agree with your comment about sucking air. I come across so many people who don't understand the critical nature of a suction leak and potential (EXPENSIVE) consequenses of pump failure due to air ingress. I know a certain large mining company that failed 10 main pumps in a 3 month period directly because of a suction leak. Now that cost them a lot of money that could have been easily avoided!

  5. #5Grady2016-12-16 09:21

    Plongson, Anytime you can fix anything on your machine for $25.00 you should be celebrating. If you want to plan ahead, you could order a piece of 1 1/2" suction / return hose from discount hydraulic hose for about $7.00 per foot plus shipping. Still not going to save much. I had to change the return line on my Case 580C because the guy I got it from never cleaned out the sand that fell down in there from loading trucks with the sand / salt mixture they spread on the roads around here in the winter. It is a 36" +/- hard line connected with smaller pieces of flex hose. I don't remember the price of the flex hoses but the hard line was $180.00. I thought of replacing the whole thing with a single piece of flex hose but it didn't have the bend radius capability so I bit the bullet. Check out those heavy duty clamps. They were like $5.00 ea. but work great. I highly recommend them. compared to the regular factory clamps

  6. #6kshansen2016-12-16 10:44

    Looks like you might have lucked out and were able to salvage that pipe with the tee in it, bet that goes for more than $180!

  7. #7Plongson2016-12-16 18:14

    Although I thought $25.00 for 12" of hose was a bit high (I shouldn't be so sensitive...LOL), the REAL point of my thread was how incredibly tough it was to get that bugger installed. Any time you wrestle hose that has a low length to width ratio AND an offset in the mix, one can expect mild to moderate bodily injures...LOL Such a hose can be added to my list of things I seriously dislike (not in any particular order), my short list includes and is certainly not limited to... 1.) Hose (low L/W ratio) 2.) Springs (being manhandled) 3.) Shovels (long or short handled) 4.) Humid heat

  8. #8Grady2016-12-17 09:29

    It's hard to believe but they charge less than 20 bucks more for that funky "Tee" pipe but like Plongson noticed, those short pieces of stiff hose aren't any fun so I keep the other two steel return lines painted up with fluid film to try and postpone that job as long as possible. Case gets $28.00 for one of those short pieces of 1 1/4" at Coleman's. It says "sold per inch" but I doubt it is $112.00 for 4". I bought mine at the local parts store and they had those heavy duty hose clamps like I'd never seen before. You can tighten them up with a ratchet without them coming apart and that stiff hose needs a good clamping to keep it from seeping.

  9. #9kshansen2016-12-17 10:30

    Yes those are the go to hose clamps for most of the heavy equipment these days those old screw clamps like on the suction line at that pump are barely up to the job on a radiator hose! Worst clamps I ever came across were the ones on a Komatsu Loader they only had the threads on the band embossed into them not cut through. Less than a year later we changed everyone out for a heavier duty version of the one on that pump due to on going leaks. 20 years later they are still working fine!

  10. #10Grady2016-12-17 10:51

    Kshansen, All my equipment is from the last century so I don't see much of what's current. All those zeros on the price scare me. I usually double clamp in opposite directions when using the regular band clamps - if there's room - even on radiators, thermostat housings, fuel lines, etc.