Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

went cheap.

jmac ยท 2008-11-21 16:47

I wanted the backhoe but went with this for a third of the money. It will be my shop machine for loading salt in the winter and fork lift in the summer. New motor, well kept, don't have any idea what year it is. John Deere 401c. Has a PTO so maybe I could think of other things for it to do.

Replies6
  1. #1ncbschzzt2008-11-21 18:05

    send the s/n

  2. #2jmac2008-11-22 12:01

    As soon as I get it to the shop I will post SN, I was thinking about welding the bucket tabs to a skid steer quick attach ( the skid steer side) and the skid steer plate to the bucket. I would then use skid steer forks etc, make the machine alot more usefull. Any one do this, what do you think? The forks on the bucket looks like a bad idea, you can't see the cutting edge so how are you going to use it to pick up pallets.

  3. #3nedly052008-11-23 08:08

    Looks like a nice little rig jmac, get some weight on the back, and maybe a set of chains on her and you will be much happier (even in the yard) I bet you will find more uses for it than you imagined!!:thumbsup

  4. #4jmac2008-11-24 13:21

    Thanks nedly, I think your rite, having a PTO could be good and I found this on the web to make it work with my skid steer stuff The chains and weight are a good idea, I could use at the shop for snow if I don't want to plow. After I plow I always have snow that needs to moved around anyways. Do you have alot of snow at home, Syracuse got 8" last week we had about 3". Had to salt my lots so thats good. National Grid had an auction in Rome on sat and had about 30 2000' and 2001 backhoes all go for around $20,000, and alot of other stuff go pretty cheap. I think I will make next years auction for sure.

  5. #5briandavis2008-11-24 14:58

    A quick fix for weight, is a drum full of cement with attatchment rods. I have one for a ford 555 hoe that I use on slopes, i hook it to the bucket and swing it where needed. as far as the skidder attachment, I had one on a 580k. i'll try and find the pics and post them.

  6. #6nedly052008-11-24 17:35

    A dusting right now, but 5-9" tonight.