Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Western Star defrost

Tradesman · 2019-02-09 13:10

I have a 2019 western star 4700 sf on my Boom truck and the only thing that Irritates me about the truck is the defrost, it doesn’t have any vents at the side window ( like almost everything else I’ve ever had ) and to keep both the windshield and the side glass clean I need to keep changing from defrost to vent. It does a good job of both just not at the same time. Maybe I’m missing something, Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know it’s a first world problem but it’s an annoyance to constantly be flipping back and forth on an otherwise well appointed truck.

Replies14
  1. #1seville0092019-02-09 19:14

    Get a smsll 12 volt fan to keep the air moving better in the cab; should help.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2019-02-10 00:43

    Are the windows fogging up on the inside or ice building on the outside? Anytime there is a lot of moisture in the cab(normally me getting wet or tracking snow in) I have to run the heater uncomfortably warm to keep the windows from fogging.

  3. #3DMiller2019-02-10 09:12

    Try 379 Petes, NASTY and required a dash mount fan to keep the fog down!!

  4. #4Tradesman2019-02-10 09:28

    Looks like a fan is in my future. Thanks

  5. #5crane operator2019-02-10 13:33
  6. #6Tags2019-02-10 17:44

    Is the deal a free monkey with every fan or is it a free fan with every monkey??

  7. #7Tradesman2019-02-10 19:24

    I thought he was insinuating the operator looked like that, and didn’t have time to respond appropriately. That reply would take some serious thought, I like your angle better.

  8. #8crane operator2019-02-10 21:37
  9. #9Canadian_digger2019-02-12 20:48

    Does the truck have A/C. You can try and turn it on with the heat. It helps get rid or moisture. Some vehicles it turns on automatically when set to defrost.

  10. #10Stephen Lockhart2019-02-23 19:02

    Western Star changed the dash layout eliminating the 2" holes that shot air towards the windows. My 09 has the holes but the new dash I bought doesn't, fans are the answer.

  11. #11Tradesman2019-02-23 19:43

    I was in the truck before sun up this morning and the side window started frosting, I opened the passenger side window a crack and within a few minutes the glass all cleared. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it before I have opened the window in the crane and my backhoe for years to let the humidity out and clear the glass, I guess I’ve never needed to in the truck, because everything i’ve driven has had the small side glass vents. I think this qualifies as an aw haw! Moment.

  12. #12Hank R2019-02-23 20:05

    At least you did not go to Western Star for a $200.xx bill and be told leave a window down a hair.

  13. #13Truck Shop2019-02-23 21:47

    That same thing will keep the mirror clean when you are trying to shave

  14. #14seville0092019-02-25 16:48

    The only time cracking a window is a problem is when they’re frozen and don’t open.....