Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wet Demoliton

mitch504 ยท 2010-07-31 17:33

The job I'm doing right now is the demolition of a 78' shrimp boat in the water. In it's day this was a nice boat, but it was sold to a man who didn't believe in maintenance. He ran it for a few years and sold it to a man who didn't know what he was buying. When they tried to put it on the railway the blocks broke through the hull, it was so rotten. There were parts of the keel you could punch your hand into. I wish I had taken pictures a few months ago when I quoted this job so you could see how nice the cabin was before it was stripped, but you can get the idea from the paneling and etc.

Replies13
  1. #1mitch5042010-07-31 17:43

    Interior shots Pilot House Galley Galley fore cabin after cabin

  2. #2Tiny2010-07-31 18:20

    Looks like that could be a large pain in the neck to do.

  3. #3amunderdog2010-07-31 20:23

    Hurry and dispose of it before the EPA shows up.

  4. #4stumpjumper832010-07-31 20:59

    strip anything off that you can salvage. Get some plastic barrels attached somehow so she will kinda float. drag her out several miles and make an artifical reef / diving attraction out of her...

  5. #5stumpjumper832010-07-31 21:01

    tiny, you should change your signature to "professional grade stake hitman for hire"

  6. #6mitch5042010-08-01 01:56

    Another step Tiny, it hasn't been that bad, the worst day was the one I detailed in your thread, too dang hot, http:// the other part was having a mass excavator front on my Cat, with a 2' shorter stick. To reach the far gunwale I had to sit with 45% of my track length hanging out in space The biggest pain in the neck was the styrofoam which I will show later. Stumpjumper, it's already been stripped, it belongs to a company that strips vessels and then the state pays them to sink them. You can't sink a wooden boat legally because it breaks up and the debris floats. This is the same company that pays me to load and unload there barge with pipe. http://

  7. #7mitch5042010-08-01 03:06

    Aggravations You can see in these interior shots the blocks of styrofoam, (both beige and concrete look-a-like grey)that they used to insulate the ice hold and the shrimp bins. We took out over 75 cubic yards when it was packed tight in the trailer. That stuff is very hard to handle with a bucket and thumb, if you're gentle it floats out when you pick the bucket up, and if you're not gentle it shatters into a million pieces. It is unacceptable for anything to float out into the harbor. We rigged a floating hawser from the bow of the tug to the corner of the bulkhead to stop floaters. We ended up with 2 guys on a small boat inside the big boat straining the water with shrimp baskets to get the little pieces. Loading out 2 and a piece 35yd trailer loads took forever. There was also about ten yds of concrete in the floor in 2-4" slabs. This was very hard to get out without compromising the integrity of the hull. You can see in several of the exterior shots that I was sitting on crane mats. The main reason was because there is a 480-volt powerline about 4-6" deep in the ground behind the bulkhead. I was told it ran within 18" of the bulkhead all the way down so I thought it was safe under the front mat; but of course I pulled it up and broke it about 7' from the bulkhead.

  8. #8joispoi2010-08-01 06:26

    That's not your everyday job. I think some boat owners would just double the insurance policy, add extra life vests and a zodiac and then take it out in a storm.

  9. #9stumpjumper832010-08-01 07:57

    hey I've been asked to do some weird things, and I've done them... Whatever pays the bills. I was wondering how debris containment was going to go... I thought that you would have to have some type of floating silt sock or something. Too bad you couldn't sell it to the us navy for torpedo practice or something... pics would have been required if that happened.

  10. #10powerjoke2010-08-01 12:00

    great pics, what was the 480V power line for, was it in the ground or in the boat? We have demo'd about 150 a few years ago, one of the local boat mfg plants had a run of boats leave the factory that had a horrible flaw and was cheaper just to give the ppl a new boat.....I loaded ~2million$ worth of brand new 22' bass boats in roll-offs :crying: and didnt even get to keep one . but I wont post pics on your thread. keep up the good work and keep up on the pics Pj

  11. #11mitch5042010-08-01 12:36

    The powerline was buried about 4-6 inches deep in the ground. It is the shore power for the tugboat. I was told it ran within 18 inches of the edge but when I pulled it up it was under the edge of the second row of mats, about 7 feet from the edge. I have a bunch more pics to post. I would like to see yours, either here or on your own thread. I also have a neat video of us loading pipe on the barge that I have to figure out how to post.

  12. #12mitch5042010-08-01 12:46

    Around here if you go to a local contractor with a strange job they say; "Ooh, we don't do that! Call this guy, he'll do anything weird or excessively complicated or..."

  13. #13willie592010-08-01 13:06

    Probably the best way to do a video is set up a You Tube account then link the Tube vid here.