OK I just picked up my first skid steer, and after looking at parts, I see they sell a DRY battery and then a WET battery what is the difference in them as for how weather effects then, is one better than the other? in clod weather/hot weather does either one last longer or?? any info would be appreciated? sorry if this is a silly question, as I am thinking MAYBE There is more to it than just what there filled with talking performance here?
WHO sells a DRY battery? are you sure it's not just a lead acid battery that you have to supply the acid for?
here is the part numbers and there TWO different battery's Part# Product Name Description F775DSW WET BATTERY Battery, 12V, NH-NA F775DS DRY BATTERY Battery and a link that sells them http://www.messicks.com/part/f775ds/battery-dry and WET http://www.messicks.com/search?q=F775DSW
Seems like the dry cell would be more durable with a paste type electrolite rather than liquid. That being said I have had the same wet cell battery in my 1840 for probably 10 years without an issue. Also it's a used take out motorcraft battery with equivelant size and cca rating. I don't think there will be much difference if any in hot vs cold operation between the two either.
I didn;'t think there would be much difference, as price is the same? but wasn't sure if one maybe worked better in COLD below freezing temps than the other?? so figured I'd ask, as again new to these skid steers,
A dry cell uses a paste electrolyte, with only enough moisture to allow current to flow. Unlike a wet cell, a dry cell can operate in any orientation without spilling, as it contains no free liquid, making it suitable for portable equipment. I'm not sure if the freezing point of the paste is any different that the free liquid cells. How cold are we talking here?
can have wind chills down to about minus 40 here, but most lows are in the -5 range come winter! as this will be kept outside
If you are talking about gel batteries, I used to use optima's in my ASV-RC30. Usedta get like 5 years out of 'em. Then optima sold out, new ones are crap. There's a company called Pasco, here in MD, that sells a gell filled battery, have had one in for about a year, no probs, so far. Reason I use the gel batteries, is that this application is in such a crappy location, it takes a couple hours, to get the battery in, and I want the most return, for my labor investment...:duh:duh
I agree I used Optima's for many yrs way back till about 7-8 yrs ago, when the quality sank and the price didn't! I guess maybe I am over thinking things, as I have a lot of things that sit outside with basic battery's and work fine just again, figured I'd ask if one was a better option that the other? in case I am missing something!
The only difference in these two part numbers is that if you buy the dry battery, you get the liquid electrolyte in a bottle. The difference is, batteries start to deteriorate as soon as the first chemical reaction occurs, so if you buy a wet battery that's been sitting in a warehouse for a year, you get a year less life.