Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What are everyones thought on this concept

Reuben · 2008-07-19 16:43

Four tracks that would work just the same as the current machines work now but they would all adjust in height independently,to level or stabalize the machine. You could actually still maintain about the same current ground pressure as the current machines also. I think volvo had a concept drawing of something simlar. A few years ago. Just A thought I had......

Replies36
  1. #1BrianHay2008-07-19 17:29

    Kaiser builds a machine like that. I would love to try one out. http://www.kaiser.li/en/international/excavators/products/kaiser-s3/track/

  2. #2DR RPM2008-07-19 17:42

    I think less moving parts, the better. The real amount of time those features would be needed would be minimal, and when you do, just bring in a contractor like Brian and they can play on those crazy slopes.

  3. #3Deere96702008-07-19 18:04

    Anybody remember the old drotts, with the tilting turntable, so that the machine would level itself out? Similer idea, why dont they make them like that anymore?

  4. #4DirectTech2008-07-19 20:14

    This is volvo's conept

  5. #5hoeman6002008-07-19 20:32

    this was at con expo

  6. #6landrvrnut222008-07-19 22:39

    That thing is awesome, best of both worlds. When you buying one?

  7. #7BrianHay2008-07-19 23:03

    I think one of those is a few years down the road but maybe some day I will get one. I wonder what the price tag is on one of those. My guess would be in the neighborhood of a half mil.

  8. #8joispoi2008-07-20 05:11

    Biggest detractors that I see are that you have 2 more drive motors to rebuild and 2 more spring tensioners. If both sets of drive motors were kept to the inside, you could never dig over them.

  9. #9Bellboy2008-07-20 10:30

    It could work, don't see it in the near future though. Half a mil in my green backs is very good... can get a TLB for that much Didn't they say that they would do away with hydraulics on that machine?

  10. #10AtlasRob2008-07-20 15:26

    :lmao:lmao all you forgot was the :stirthepot opcorn

  11. #11adr022008-07-20 15:42

    LevelMax Any interest in this, comments? Things I would change would be to have single grouser pads, and a power clam rather than heel boom setup. One other thing is the top rollers should be replaced with sliders. On a side note, I prefer to keep the idlers on the uphill side most often, so when the track comes of the idler you can put it back on easily. When the idler is on the low side of the slope and that happens, you slide right out of the track real easy . Not to fun chucking the track down the hill to get to a flat spot to put it back on.

  12. #12John C.2008-07-20 17:00

    I like that some marketing hack thinks that is a new idea. Timbco, TimberKing and Timberjack have been building and using tilt house machines for many years, usually for feller bunchers. As far as using slides instead of top rollers, the industry has been mounting bottom rollers on the tops for years. The slides wear through in short order when shovel logging. We use two bar grousers for logging shovels. Those will usually go where you can't walk. The single bar pads are used on the feller bunchers and some processors. They will go almost anywhere the ground is solid but tear up the floor of the forest to a large extent. Some land owners around here will not allow them. adr02 is correct about keeping the sprockets down hill. Basically the recoil springs collapse some when the idlers are pointed down hill and put slack in the track. This slack can end up being enough that the track can jump the sprocket teeth and give you a ride.

  13. #13cps2008-07-20 18:06

    i have a customer who has a Hitachi ex220 with a tilting undercarrage, kind of like the volvo levelmax but i think it only tilts side to side un-like the volvo.

  14. #14adr022008-07-20 18:20

    I'm sure there is differences in terrain where you work, just like in B.C., many types of logging, and vastly different ground around the province. Around here anyways people have single grousers on standard excavators for site prep, chucking ect. And I've found I can't go as steep as the bunchers with doubles, and stick to the hill as confidently. The other reason is we have a ton of snow here in the winter. Double grousers I find ice up real easy and you have to pull yourself around on the slightest slope. I've hoe chucked yarder blocks with doubles in the winter, yes its doable, but a little to many close calls for my liking. Corks are good for winter, and do help in the summer though on both. As for why I like sliders, is so many guys around here start working the machine with the top rollers frozen, and quickly get flat spots(won't turn anymore). But, if doubles work for the jobs you get, all the better, I'm pretty sure singles wear the track chains faster, but not sure. Like I said, differences in terrain, my choices aren't applicable to work a block that is flat, or simply flatter, or even one where a wheeled skidder can go anywhere the buncher goes. edit: I would be interested to see a pic of the 220, if you got one, I like seeing machines modified in different ways like that. I also like seeing different guarding styles use in other countries, and how things are done there, or how the equipment is used in a way most wouldn't try here.

  15. #15Iron Horse2008-07-20 19:31

    What is the guy in the Volvo actually doing ? And did he start at the top and work down ? What is "chucking" ?

  16. #1672V2008-07-20 20:56

    On the subject of machines with four tracks as opposed to two, I tried without success to find a picture of an articulated, quad-tracked feller buncher Allied www.alliedsystems.com used to make (Allied ATH 28?). Maybe Big Iron or John C. know what I'm referring to. I've seen a few working, but doubt there's many left now. I've been told they were a nightmare to repair and keep running. Does anybody have a picture of one? I think "chucking" or "hoe-chucking" is Canadian for what we south of the 49th would call "shovel logging". Basically, that's just working the logs toward a road or landing by picking them up swinging them behind you in the direction you want them to go.

  17. #17joispoi2008-07-21 12:36

    :cool2

  18. #18joispoi2008-07-21 12:40

    Looks like a brochure photo. The machine was put there to look pretty. Iirc, Case had a tilting turntable on some of it´s older machines.

  19. #19JDOFMEMI2008-07-21 18:22

    Pipeliners in the Rockies have custom built hoes like this for many years. Only they are fixed at an angle, not adjustable like this. I remember seeing 235's converted like that in the early 80's. Here is a pic of a 330, though it is not so good, as I couldn't get a better view.

  20. #20hoeman6002008-07-21 18:53

    Levelmax sittin level in vegeas

  21. #21adr022008-07-21 22:54

    Looks like fun checking the oil on that 330, unless theres a pin/hinge to manually change tilt using the boom, I can't see in the picture. Never seen one like that though. Neat to see that Volvo in Las Vegas. Didn't think they had trees there (never been), or maybe it was there for an equipment show.

  22. #22JDOFMEMI2008-07-22 00:10

    No hinge on that 330 Cat. If you want it level, just park on a hill. Since they are only used on steeeeep jobs, that is not a problem

  23. #23Iron Horse2008-07-22 00:21

    It would be a PIG to transport !

  24. #24cps2008-07-22 13:56

    Hi adr02, i'l try to get a pic of the ex220 and post it, il also try to get a few guarded machines such as the forest harvesters that are used here in Ireland.

  25. #25hoeman6002008-07-31 18:32

    it was at the speedway douring con expo. volvo had a demo site their

  26. #26tryanythingonce2008-08-07 05:04

    Volvo LevelMax The Volvo LevelMax is one awesome machine. I am luck enough to have done some harvesting with one. Was extremely impressed. The automatic leveling is just awesome. I want one!! Looks like the official launch of the LevelMax is in Spetember at Helifax according to the Volvo site. If you ever get a chance to drive one of these I recommend you give it a go. You will want one to.:notworthy

  27. #27stock2008-10-27 03:44

    What we call chucking? We call it handballin' Stock

  28. #28special tool2008-10-27 19:15

    But with these you lose the sense of balance (DANGER) in the operator's brain that you are about to roll the undercarriage down the hill........right? Is this not asking for trouble???????????? Probably best left to operator's with 30++ years of experience, that's for sure!

  29. #29redlaker12008-10-27 20:19

    deere makes levelling bunchers, I wonder why they havent tried a levelling hoe to see if it would sell. I think it would, but then again I am not the one in the market for one, and there would be the added cost lots of companies are making the levelling bunchers, I think they would catch on in the excavator market if there were more available

  30. #30LowBoy2008-10-28 15:48

    Those levelers are awesome...My problem is, I'm just about 100% fearless of slopes, banks, etc. on a hoe, so I'd probably end up like special tool mentioned...standing on the headliner one day looking to get out.

  31. #31coopers2008-10-28 16:15

    I'm sure that would increase the cost of a new hoe by a crazy amount. They're already expensive and those are specialty hoes as it is...not sure most contractors/business owners would want to spend even more money on a hoe for that feature.

  32. #32hvy 1ton2009-01-10 23:23

    I think the only way that deere would be able to build a leveling excavator would be selling it as Road Builder with the leveling system out of a harvester. That wouldn't be bad thing anyway b/c if somebody needs the leveling they could use everything found in a forestry excavator. Severe-duty highwalker u/c, single grouser pads, forestry cab, and forestry guarding all seem like good ideas to have if the excavator is working in rough enough terrain to justify a leveling machine. Transport wouldn't be any more difficult than say a 350D, except for the transport height being 12'6" with the cab leaned back. So as long as the deck height is under 1'6" it's not overheight.

  33. #33oriden2009-01-12 12:42

    wow! has this idea failed? i havent seen any before

  34. #34Nick Abeyta2009-01-12 13:02

    Highway Equipment Highway Milling & Paving Equipment use independent tracks - Here's an Ingersoll-Rand MT2000 (Now Volvo) pavement milling machine to show the concept is not new and can be applied to other equipment if necessary. - Highway Milling machines are usually designed with 3 or 4 independent tracks.

  35. #35watglen2009-04-03 21:44

    That volvo concept unit is shown in video on the volvo site. As well as self leveling, the concept track system allows the unit to crab to some degree, and high speed road travel too. Also, the engine is mounted in the counterweight position, and slides in and out depending on counterweight requirements. Pretty cool ideas at least.

  36. #36stormdodger2009-04-30 00:33

    72v heres a pic of that allied ath 28 feller buncher.