Lets just say you had $20,000 towards a new, full set of "top of the line" tools (like any of us has $20K set aside for a set of tools, lol), what kind would you buy and why?? All of your feedback is appreciated.
One good Reason: http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html
Snap-on Just pick up a Snap-on wrench and you don't have to ask why.
Snap-on, if you only have say 10K i'm also a big fan of SK and PROTO.
Snap on tools are made to last. As long as there is a traveling dealer close by most of my tools I buy are snap on, I broke a ratchet Mr snap on shows up & 15 minutes later he had it rebuilt No charge. Some tools like open ended wrenches I buy Jet far cheaper & good Quality . I just bought Snap on's 1190 ft pounds half inch drive air ratchet good investment. Good Luck, Shane.
I buy Snap-On for most all my tools. Wrenches up to 1", no question Snap-On. Anything over 1" and you really don't need their precision for most jobs. However there are some other great wrenches such as Wright and even the Stanly long series. Snap-On pliers are great and they have one of the largest selections. But, where Snap-On is unmatched IMO is their screwdrivers and impact swivel sockets. There really IS a difference in Snap-On tools.
Last time inventoried the boxes there was about $25,000 worth of hand tools and only three items were SnapOn. I don't like the big money output for items I might use three times a year. I also don't like waiting for the tool man to show up and then give me crap about how I miss used "his" tools. Most of my stuff is Mac, Matco and Craftsman. I have some big Proto wrenches and a lot of specialty stuff from the Napa store. There is also plenty of SK stuff in there. If they are generic brands like Vise Grip I'll buy them at the cheapest place I can find. My philosophy is to buy the best that I can afford that will fill the need I have. I'm not going to pay $50 for a half inch ratchet that I can buy at Sears for $23. I can get the Craftsman rebuilt or replaced any day of the week. I can find a Sears store in about every town I go through.
Your boxes sound like mine, John C, a mix of a number of brands. Bar none...my favorite wrench is my set of S-K Superchrome, 7/16 to 1 1/4. I have had this set for years, use them practically every day. I have used a "cheater wrench" in the open end of one on many occasions, and have beat on the big ones with a hammer many many times to get a tough bolt loose. With all this abuse...I have yet to break or bend one. But I will offer this piece of advice to all: If you are going to purchase "angle wrenches", Snap On only! Only Snap On has a 60 degree offset on one end and a 30 degree offset on the other end. All other brands are 60 degree and 15 degree. A standard open end wrench is a 15 degree offset, so with all other brands of angle wrench, your really only getting a "half a wrench" because you already have a 15 degree wrench in your box! I have got hyd lines loose in really tight spots using a 15 deg wrench, then the 30 deg of the Snap On angle, then the 60 deg, then back to the 15 deg wrench.
It's funny growing up my father was a mechanic and never saw a snap on till I was an adult. Can say I never even seen or even heard of them till I was about 16, saw one of thier trucks. All the mechanics around had mac. Considered a hack with sears but yet just about all tool boxes had some.
Alot of the tools in my box say craftsman as well as the box, and they have been getting the job done for the past 10 years. That being said, craftsman isn't what it used to be. Price is up, quality is down, and gimicks abound. Here is my beef with snapon, while i cannot deny that they make a quality tool, is a standard flat head screwdriver worth what I can buy a whole set of screwdrivers from craftsman for? You know I've never broke a craftsman while using it for a screwdriver. I've broke them using them as a puinch, or chisel, or pry bar, but I should know better and sears gave me a new one. I think I've lost more than i've broke. And at snapon prices... I'd be broke.
Ingersoll Rand for air tools. OCR
I will only buy Wright tools. They are made right here in Akron Ohio. They sell everything from nut drivers to 3 1/2" drive impact sockets. They have a lifetime warranty, and always replace no questions asked. I have only broken one tool, a 1/2" drive 18" breaker bar, and I had a 6' piece of pipe on it. You pay for the quality, but they are worth it.
CatManDose,I have always had good luck with craftsman tools.If I were giving advice to a young mechanic on how to spend 20,000 dollars on tools ,I would check out www.craftsman.com .They have a great looking 1,468 piece tool set for 8,699.90 on page 7 under tool sets.Then I would spend the rest of the money on a good used 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a service bed on it to store the new tools in.That way you can work at the shop with the truck and when the phone rings you can also do in field service calls.Add a welder,torch,air comressor,crane to it later and you will be almost unstopable.Most of my repairs are done in the field.I learned early on that that I needed to be mobile with the tools as equipment dose not break down at the shop and many times it can be fixed quicker and easyer in the field.
In over 35 years of buying and using tools, I have a bit of each brand in the boxes, even some of the cheep China import stuff from Harbor freight (for the I only need this tool for one job tools) Most of it is Craftsman as it is easy to exchange for new if it breaks, some Proto, Snap On, Channel Lock, Vice Grip (invented by a blacksmith by the way) Souix, IR Rand, Rockwell and the like. Whatever is a reasonable price and works with a reasonable quality finds it's way into one of my boxes. I would hate to add up the $$ in those boxes!
Craftsman, you can get them at any local Sears or OSH:notworthy Snap-on, you got to wait for your salesman to come around, and then he don't want to warranty a tool:Banghead
Ditto. I don't know what it sells for now, but about 10 years ago their ratcheting screwdriver was like $40. For 1 screwdriver? Stupid. Yes Snap-on makes a good tool, and you pay for it. Mac Matco and Cornwell are as good but you don't pay for the name most of the time. Snap-on does make excelent pliers and specialty tools. I am a fan of Craftsman, Cornwell, SK, Grey, Wright, Cresent, Channel Lock, and AMERICAN MADE Vise-Grip. Vise-Grips are now made in China.
For the Down under crew: Is the "Mogy" brand of tools still around?. Years ago my mechanic brother buggered up his knees and needed 6 months off after the operations....which would have sent him broke..or close to it. I went to help out with the mobile service work and grabbed a Mogy socket set...bloody good tools to this day. Got them from the local toolman on the Gold Coast. From the same guy I got some "BlackHawk" ratchets which have been even better...haven't seen those tools around for years.
Hi Squizzy246B, Blackhawk was very popular in the U.S. and especially in my dad's tool boxes. I have never seen any Mogy tools. One time a ranch hand told my dad he had to quit and go back home, dad said ok I will get your pay. When the hand was ready to leave he told my dad he needed more money and wanted to sell his tools. He got them out of the trunk of his car, they were in a feed sack. Dad opened the sack and looked in and said ok and paid him. Several days later dad remembered the tools and dumped them on the shop floor and he had bought some of his own tools back. Dad laughed and said I guess thats better than losing them completely.
I have never heard of Mogy tools, Squizzy. We started out with Sidchrome, then Kingchrome, Bahco shifters, but these days we buy cheaper tools. A few years ago we bought a big set of Chinese, **/Metric combination (open one end, ring the other) spanners that go up to 30mm, from a bloke that comes around flogging off tools and they have been really good. We don't really need precision tools for working on crushers and with different people using them all the time, they tend to get left on machines and then get lost. The Chinese shifters do all that we want to do and once again, if they get lost, it doesn't break the bank. I had a look at Snap On once, but they were way over priced for what we do with them, but if I was a mechanic using them everyday, well that would be different. Mind you, out here I tend to think perhaps the the Snap On price could be rather over inflated by some of the franchisees driving around in their flash trucks. Rn'R.
I have a set of Snap-On Boltcutters I paid $300 for after busting up about three sets of chinese $100 ones ointhead But for spanners I reckon Repco or Kinchrome are pretty good value. I've had a repco R/O.E spanner set for about 15 years now and they are all good but for being a bit dinged up from being beaten about by hammers. I have a 20 year old 1/2" drive Sidchrome socket thats going Ok but I don't use it much anymore since the 3/8" drive mogy does at least half my work. The old man has a sidchrome socket set that is nearly as old as me...(so its like 21 ) and the box is all rusted out but they are bloody good sockets....what I call "Real Dinkum SidChrome".
Im still a bit pissed at Wright. They have one dealer about 60 miles away in a machin shop supply house. I bought a wright ratchet from them and the head stripped in the ratchet mech. They were gonna charge 5 dollars plus instalation and shipping. I think its in a pile i nthe shop some where. I was at the scrap yard last year and a man was there dumping out a few tin buckets of scrap from a shed. I found several iron wood busting wedges that were good quality, a 1/4 inch Wright breaker bar, and a few SK sockets. I have several Craftsman tools. I had a SNapon man dropping by work when we had a mechanic there, we were a 1/4 mile off the main road and we had tocall him and some times he had a different route. I bought a Blue Point 90 degree ratchet screw driver 25 bucks. It worked good but when the bits wore out I was informedthat they also costed another 25 bucks. I bought some others. The landfill I work at is near a an import store and surplus store. At times I ll buy a Taiwan tool or China made cheap I may have in a have to have instant otr on that needs a special bend in it. Years ago dad Carquest got some tools called Provalue that were Taiwan but had a lifetime warranty. They are good. I like Kobalt at Lowes but I only buy the US made stuff. My brother gave me a new Proto ratchet and breaker bar set one year for some work I did him. I love them. I have to have a Case to organize my toos in that way Ill know when one is missing and can find it right then. Heres my list. Craftsman, Snap on, Mac, Bahmco, Allen, Proto, Williams, Blackhawk, VG ,Crescent,Williams, Kobalt, Husky and a few more I cant remember. I also like Whitsworth, Provalue and some Ever craft. I have been buying some Snapon/williams tools from a machinist supply well below the cost of the snap on man. I also go to swapmeets yardsales and trade sales to. I bought a 5/15 to 3/4 Husky set of end wrenches last month for 10 bucks. I have an elderly neighbor that used to be in the ewuipment business and they have an old service truck loaded with tool of every size fromtiny to 3 inch williams wrenches and 4to 1 multipilers and such. Ive bought several from him but he wont sell anymore His son is crackhead i figure when the old man dies Ill be able to buy them for scrap.
What ever tool truck comes to you I like mac. If no tool truck. craftsman or Kobalt are the best bet.own side is they do not have speciality tools QUOTE=CatManDoes;171489]Lets just say you had $20,000 towards a new, full set of "top of the line" tools (like any of us has $20K set aside for a set of tools, lol), what kind would you buy and why?? All of your feedback is appreciated.[/QUOTE]
My logo says it all!
We have (had) a snap-on guy here .... but he's a real butt head... I have a little bit of every thing from the itc tools that where sold out of semis, mac , craftsman. Heck wally mart has the same warranty, but limited selection. The best place to buy tools ,Yard Sales... some people just don't know tools from toothpicks.. I pick up a 1/4 mac rachet for 4 bucks... they are about 30 -40 ..I think.. pawn shops used to be a good place, but they price their stuff new..
Snap-on are very nice but way over priced unless you but them on ebay, Caterpillar tools are made buy snap-on and are about 20-30 % less. Mac tools are a little cheaper then snap same quality. Grey tools great quality for the money. Being from Canada as well have very little experience from Matco tools but my uncle down in the states uses them and he swears by them, think there a little cheaper then Snap-on, just remember its not the tool that makes the mechanic its how the mechanic uses his tools that makes a good mechanic. Me personal I use a mix box of tools , Grey tool box with Snap-on, Signet, Grey, jet, Ingersoll Rand and little of the most used brand in Canada ,Crapy Tire. There wrenches are just as good as any ones ,and the guaranteed for life, no wait for a truck to show up at your yard once a meek just walk into the store and get a new one there old professional series stuff was made buy snap-on at a fraction of the cost you can still find in some stores, The new maximum line is not made from snap-on but is pretty good as well. But If you do have the cash for the ultimate set of Snap-on tools buy a full set at once ask the truck rep for a catalog you will see the box + tool sets in there at a package price the more you buy at once the cheaper it is . One last thing when dealing with snap-on call the local info number and try to get more then one reps info in your area , and try get the package price from more then one rep, tell them you can get it cheaper from a rep in a different area. They will drop there price, they make there living on a commission on what they sell and cash talks. Also look on ebay you can buy full set of lightly used snap-on equipment for a fraction of the cost. Hope this Helps
In the track shop all of our electric impact sockets are Snap on. We use 3/4" and 1" drive sockets from 9/16 to around 2". We only use Snap on because they come to the shop every week on time rain or shine and every week they warranty whatever we need with no questions asked. We usually have three to five sockets a week that they warranty. We have tried other brands of sockets and we have had the best luck with Snap on. My personal box is full of craftsman because my wife would kick me out of the house if I spent that much money on tools.
I have a complete Craftsman set, as a result of a theft years ago. They have been good. Also have some Husky, Proto, Grey, tools also, all are high quality. I have some 1"drive Westward sockets, good bang for the buck. I only go to Snap-on for a specialty tool. They are way to expensive. In Canada we have Mastercraft tools at Canadian Tire, no problem with them either. I've even got a set of Walmart wrenches, I forget the name they use. I don't think one could point to the best; every brand has something going for it, and most tool boxes turn out to be a blend of the best. Phil
I agree with U about Craftman i have some Snap-on and Mac but now a days when i need a new tool i go Craftmen its easy to get replacements and i don't have to hunt down the Snap-on guy :Banghead
For me it HAS to be Snap-On or Knipex for pliers, crimpers etc. Fluke for electronic tools such as IR thermometer, DMM, thermal imager etc CAT for mag base non-contact tacho and deutsch plug wedge removal tool (havn't seen anyone else make it, probably alot more just havn't looked)
I have alot of snap-on ect, but I also own a set of Kline wrenches. I see alot of there pliers and electrical stuff but I never saw another set of wrenches until about a year ago. I think they are as good as snapon and almost identical in the way they feel. Everyone that uses them really likes them. Another reason I buy snap on is I always check to see if the whole set is there before I put it back in the box. I never loose a quality tool. ( I have lots of misc craftsman sets) It makes me sick if i cant find that socket i dropped. I bought a set of Cornwell long handle wrenches and what a pile they were. Chrome flaked off the first week. They have plenty of nicks in the jaws from wrenching on them because they are soft metal I guess. My box is a MAC and no complaints there. Chris5500 was on track with those Knipex pliers, those are awesome. Just some quick thoughts.
Who other than Snap-On manufactures 3/8 drive impact (swivel or not) sockets that do not disintegrate from 425 ft. lbs. bolt breakaway torque (yes, from a 3/8 drive impact wrench)? No one?
None that I've tried. I can understand where some people feel they are overpriced. They are expensive, but with tools, you really do get what you pay for. I have literally rounded a bolt with a craftsman wrench and removed the bolt with a snap on wrench. I think craftsman makes great middle of the road tools, i have a lot of them, but if i really need something to happen the first time......snap on. I can understand how some people have bad experiences with the snap on dealers because they're all different. Mine is cool, he warrants everything and if i need something after hours i just go to his house.
The real question is Starrett, Mitutoyo or Etalon?
one brand i personally have had a good experience with is Proto which is an upper line of Stanley. they have a lot of good quality tools.
SK and Snap On tools is what I use for hand tools. IR for air tools.
I mostly have Craftsman tools. Though I am a big fan of Snap-On. Like Willie59 said, if its angled make sure its a Snap-On, in my honest opinion.
I've got to where I'll only buy snap on ratchets anymore, I've busted my knuckles too many times with cheaper ones. Some of the stuff crosses over, im pretty sure craftsman pro is sk and Stanley is owned by mac but lower quality. Alot of it has to do with your tool guy, when I was still wrenching the snap on guy was the best to deal with. I had his cell # and he would usually meet me somewhere to fix or replace something if I needed it and as a result I blew alot of $ on snap on stuff so I guess he knew what he was doing lol. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
i have a little bit of every thing best one is a 14" adjustible wrench from craftsman bought for my dad christmas 1967 still good as new tb
i've been wrenching as a "pro" at heavy eq dealerships for over 25 years, most of my working tools are off one of the tool trucks, as are most of my toolboxes, most of pullers & prybars are OTC air tools are a mix of IR, snap-on, bluepoint & CP at home i have a lot of overflow/extra truck branded tools, along with SK proto williams cm cm pro duralast husky stanley GP lisle HF air tools were all leftovers/spares from work electric stuff ranges from B&D dewalt hitachi ridgid CM kawasaki ryobi IMHO no one brand of tools is best for everything, or anyone. 3 mechanics can do the same job, 3 different ways, with 3 completely different tools. :drinkup
Snap On is the best, but your 20,000 won't go too far. I've been a Field Mechanic for over 35 yrs. Most of my hand tools are Snap On, OTC is the best for pullers and press equipment, Ingersoll Rand and Snap On for air tools, I do have some Mac. Snap On are slender, fit more awkward places and easy to keep clean and very tough. What you buy depends on a lot of factors, but in my opinion, I'd go with Snap On.
I started my time with a set of Stanley tools, they did the job quite well, still got al the 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 sockets, the ratchets and extensions/bars have all died, replaced them with snap-on as i was sick of sending them back for warrenty, I'm not a fan of snap-on spanners as they are abit sharp, running repco ones, screwdrivers are all snap-on old school hard handle ones, the soft grip ones are cr@p, prybars 3/4 gear and torquewrenches are all snap-on, sick of breaking other brands, used to run alot of mid-range tools but if it broke once i brought a snap-on one, i was field service for a long while, nothing worse thn being in the middle of no-where with a broken tool/s which could make the job easier/faster but at the same time you have to be prepared to cut/weld/make a tool to get the job done if you need to so dont buy things you can't bring yourself to take an oxy to if need be to get a result with a break down
We have to be operator/mechanic where I work and have never had time to check the name on the side. Just checked for what wrench, ratchet, size was needed for the job and got-r-done. I went to Harbor Freight to get some tools I didn't have, including a 1" impact. Spent $1,000, and rolled out with 3 shopping carts of tools. I use that 1" impact at work now and don't regret buying a thing. I will say this, I think Ingersoll rand makes great air tools. I'd take the other 19k and have one hell of a party and vacation!
3 pages and no mention of Armstrong or Wright...or Knipex
Stahlwille and beta. On stahlwille i have my pref because i was working with a set for 2 years without any problems. Question is that i was not fixing things i was testing them. They behaved nice from -20ºC to 140ºC and pressions from vacuum to 2 maybe 3 bars. Also no corrosion on salty enviroments. Best tools that i worked with and they was not even top line of them (stahlwille).When i was leaving them on my change of work they was like new. Beta, i'm more on repairing cars and machinery and they handle nice with low care. We have a screw driver wih 10 years from them that was transformed many times to adapt. No corrosion and the handle of beta on very nice condition after being used like even a hammer. KStools i have for my garage, very nice Quality/Price. Cheap and durable. Snapon i was using maybe 2 times, they seem nice tools but here they are not so popular. Set of stahlwille will last your life i assure that and if i will have money will be my chose.
Always bought Crap-on tools .. first it was from a dealer then off ebay .. NOW I buy Mastercraft from crappy tire that I use in the field or CAT tools from the dealer .. CAT tools are hit and miss because sometimes you dont get what's in the dealer book .. Snap-on spanners are thin compaired to some brands and some of there stuff is re-branded .. CAT tools are crap-on rebrands but do break under normal use ..
Snap On... I just wish I could afford more!
Plenty can argue with me on this, but tools don't make a mechanic, the person does, top brand name wrenches in the hand of an idiot won't fix anything, and cheap wrenches in the hand of an excellent mechanic can work miracles, now that said, some will last longer and have better warranties than others, I buy what I need to get the job done at a reasonable price. I use mostly craftsman, but some other brands thrown in as needed. I've had cheaper toolboxes over the years but am really happy with my swivel pro box I bought two years ago, no more headaches with drawer pulls, slides, or ball bearings to contend with, I also like my montezuma style box I built for my truck, along with my homemade drawers on my truck that use angel iron and plastic slides for my slide drawers that are heavy enough for a person stand in and not break them. As for anything else, I buy what I need as I need it, and as I can afford it. I don't get hung up on name brands at all, or just because most have them I need them kind of thinking. I have about every maker of tool there is, even if its only one wrench or speciality tool, it just depends on what I need at the time I need it and who has it on hand or can get it for me in the shortest time. If you've got 20k to put towards tools, I'd buy the basics, keep the rest of the 20k in your pocket till you need more and avoid going in debt to anyone for tools or a toolbox, but that again is just me.
The spanner??? I would think that the Workshop/Depot mechanic could justify a good standard tool chest and some nice hand tools inside it, I go to plenty of Workshops to undertake repairs ether outside the scope of the employed mechanics or as an aditional hand in a busy period to do a set job leaving their own staff to cope with their regular tasks, I often see the best of Snap on chests full of Snap on jewels sparkling in neat tidy rows ready to be selected, then cleaned off after use and placed back in the alocated position, when these mechanics see my shambles of a small Snap on (more like Snapped off) top box with things thrown in good enough to close the lid order, you can nearly see the mechanics being ill or near sick at the thought of delving into any area of my tool box, as the spanners are often covered in gunge or going rusty from jobs in the rain, the spanners I like to have are Snap on, Proto or Britool, I never use Snap on ratchets only in 3/4" and 1" size, as I feel they are heavy, cold to handle and old fashoned in there style with the on/of control in a poor location,plus I seem to break their innards in a few days, I use a composit style ratchet made of some sort of tough plastic?? with full lenght steel plates, I buy them 2 at a time and get great service from them, if you are doing Field/Site work it would be not advisable to spend great amounts on fancy tools, you need to only buy the best (Snap on) for the nuts and bolts you know are often pigs to set free. p.s the bigger the box, the better the Mechanic??? tctractors p.p.s. My Snap on dealer is absolutly first rate and is willing to put himself out to meet any needs I have, he leaves things in any workshops nearest to me to call and collect at required, he will also meet me at road points if needed, plus his knowledge on his product is top spot
I know that the tool doesn't make the mechanic but afetr 20+ years I have found that at least for me snap-on wrenches prevent alot of busted knuckles. I prefer to spend a little extra for some tools that I find work better. That being said, I have used craftsmen, blackhawk, wright, williams, proto, as well as the big 3.
buy once buy no more snapon all the way,dealing with heavy gear have the best in your hands i donot like bursted knuckles do you
I have a lot of brands , mostly snap on ive had 30 years, mac was good till bought by stanley, same with vice grip, total crap now. Channelock for lots of pliers, I pick up a lot of old rusty mac , snap on, wright and proto at yard sales for the toss in the trunk box, they seem to be the best. My grandfather gave me his old Monkey wards power Kraft toolset, strong as hell. My half brother stole them for dope money, shoulda drowned that little b*****d at birth I guess.
My truck is loaded with just about everything, Snap-On, MAC, Matco, SK, Craftsman, Chanelock, Vise Grip, etc........ If I need a tool I buy it, I have alot of Proto and Wright stuff from working in industrial plants. Basically anything USA made that is quality is up for living in my tool box.
I'm not a professional mechanic so I don't live by my tools but I have a set of Crescent tools that I'm pretty impressed with.
I was always a Snap On guy, their flank drive end wrenches are hands down absolutely the best open ends on the market. Also, you can use their chrome hand sockets on impact and they will live for quite a long time. I have a snap on roll away that my dad's uncle bought new in the 1940's and it still works great. But now, our current local Snap On dealer is an absolute useless cull, so for the last 5 years I've been buying stuff from Sears, Napa, Northern Tool, and ATD.I've had to have a friend take my broken stuff to Seattle for warranty. I really hope the Snap On guy reads this. For air tools, I prefer IR. The 2141 3/4 impact makes tons of power and light weight. They don't live very long, but are fairly inexpensive to repair.
I'll take Chicago Pneumatic over IR every time.IR's 1" drive impact is garbage.It only has one hammer.CP's one inch gun is as near bullet-proof as you'll find-double hammer, power to break your arm, and durable as a steel ball in a rubber room.And nobody has come close to matching CP's air-over-hydraulic porta power pumps.That's my informed opinion, from my personal experience.
I can't in good conscience bad mouth all of IR's products.Their half inch drive heavy duty impacts with the extended anvil were (still are?) some very fine units.Plenty of power and I never had any problems with them.Matter of fact, those were all I ever used on trucks with Dayton wheels.
I don't see where anyone has mentioned Armstrong brand tools. I have a few of them. They are real nice tools.The company has a long history of making tools in the USA.
Like many others I have made a living as a mechanic for a lot of years and I have never owned a snap on tool. I am sure they would be nice but they are not necessary to make a living. It can also depended on what type of work you do, if you work remote in the field in the rain and mud for long hours you will lose tools, leave em on machines, cut them up to get a job done etc etc. Much easier decision to cut a cheaper spanner in half! If I were buying new I would just go for a middle of the road tool. If its a size you use a lot and they are wearing out them look at better quality. Its all good to say buy the best (dearest) but its often just not cost effective or necessary. I read a few posts about breaking ratchets, usually caused by using them crack bolts, that is what breaker bars are for then use the ratchet to finish removing.
SK I have alot of sk product that duplicate all of my snap on stuff. the snap on stuff is hidden away so they do not go missing. The sk has never failed me yet, very siminlar in fit and finish. long profile and short profiles for avery possible loaction. about 1/3 the cost. sure snap on will replace what is broken but when I pay for three of them up front well you see I do not buy much from them any longer. Alot of the specialty tools are built by someone else anyways. I have snap ring pliers that are identical in gray or blue point or snap on. Air tools Gotta love the IR 2135qti max. Quiet as hell. Customers look at me taking there wheels off and wonder if the bolts are stripped as they just come off without much noise and no rattle. I have 4 of them now. they get used an awful lot. and not too well looked after they get only at least twice a year. One needs some repairs as the trigger leeks a little.
My box is just like willie's. I have a variety. Big socket sets, 3/4 and 1.0 inch drive are both Wright. Wrenches are pretty much all Wright too. Socket sets from 1/2 drive and down are all SK. CP for impact wrenches and other air tools. I have Craftsman which goes on the truck to job site. The good stuff above never leaves the shop. Anyone try and take it out the door and it is a KILLING OFFENSE!!!!!!!!! I have had a lot of my Wright stuff for years and years, same for a lot of the SK stuff. In my book Wright is the best value in tools for the price. I will put them against Snap On any day.
I have what most of you would consider to be junk...but they work and I've had most of them since the 70's. Some of them brands most of you have probably never heard of like Buffalo, Globemaster and TA Tools....I bought what I could afford to loose and I have lost plenty of them over the years...I have one ratchet that I have been trying to lose for years.....
this is best wrench in the market http://blogs.4wheeloffroad.com/6764...new-ratcheting-wrench-product-line/index.html
Craftsman-just for the ease of exchange and price S-K-if you have some money to spend new, I've picked up a lot at yard/estate sales, easy to warranty, hard to find the place to exchange MAC/Matco-expensive, have to find tool guy to exchange, sometimes it can be a pain to exchange Snap-on-expensive, some pieces have been hard to exchange, you need a set of ball bearings and a press/vise to split sockets and wrenches so the tool truck won't tell you it's worn out. Three times more expensive than craftsman. Since I have moved to the us I've found that unless you buy things/pay weekly, 80% of these guys don't want to go out of there way to service you. If you like more money in your pocket, good after sale service and to work with your tools I think Craftsman and SK are a couple of the best. Tom
For my money it's Klein and Craftsman although I'm not a Mechanic or Technician I do believe in quality tools and ease of exchange in the event of problems. In all my years I have only had to e.xchange one 3/8" ratchet.
I have almost all snap on tools in my service truck I really like the quality of the tools and my tool man will warrenty any thing I give him even if I use a screwdriver as a pry bar, but I know that is not the norm with most Snap on tool trucks. Does anyone here use Cornwell tools I dont know much about them since there isnt a dealer that is in my area. I was just wondering about the quality fit and finish on them. I saw them on the Gearz tv show.
The few cornwell tools I've picked up felt craftsman-ish. Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
I like Snap-on end wrenches and sockets. Cornwell angle wrenches because they are a little thinner. S-K ratchets because they have more teeth.
To me Cornwell quality is very good.
I had box of S K and Snapon issued to me . That's what we carried on the helicopter. Lord knows the Chinooks were wrench whores but good birds. At home it's a mix of SK , K tool , Craftsman and Snapon. And a few Ace here and there. The tool kit show with the Blackhawk was a nice kit but heavy ! :salute
I left out Cornwell, I have some and the look pretty well made. I have never warranted any, but I think I would have to call them to find a truck or ship them to the company. I have some K tool, are these good tools? I have them in my junk tool box. You know all the tools you come across that you keep just to modify or make into other tools. Tom
Sounds like most of you are talking about wrenches, sockets, etc. What about drills and taps? I know they are more machine shop type tools, but occasionally you need them in the garage or on site. I just picked these up today for $40. They seem to be good quality. These are the brands: Butterfield, Vermont, Greenfield, Bath, a few Threadwell, Regal, and Hanson. Seem like a good deal? Sizes range from #2 to 7/8"
Snap on has some rally good quality tools,also Williams and Cornwell make some really good stuff if you can find it I have a few Williams ratchets that have a great feel to them and have held up to plenty of abuse
A mix of cheap junk and SK, oh and some reed waterline stuff. Really like SK, and the local parts store sells/fixes it. Already rebuilt my 1/2 drive ratchet twice. It gets used a lot under water in sand and mud.
No one mentioned Milwaukee hands down the best cordless tools. I have four Milwaukee grinders, one is so old it is all steel its no fun to hold it over your head but boy does it throw sparks. Drills and saw zalls again the best.
I run a mix of all the big brands ( snap-on etc). But I keep a drawer full of cheaper stuff for those occasions when I need to heat and beat or cut something to make a tool. We have pretty good flea market right down the road that has a couple of vendors that specialize in tools. Have found some awesome bargains there.
I work on the smaller stuff and lots of electronics. I agree, the big brands make the best big tools (snap-on, matco, etc...) For me, I focus more on good meters like Fluke and Klein makes some really good stuff. For the smaller then 3/4 inch stuff, I have a big mix of everything from Craftsman, Husky, and yes, even a (cringe) Harbor Freight impact wrench. The Harbor Freight Impact wrench I use, maybe four times per year, so its really hard to convince myself to spend more then $100 on a tool I seldom use.
Name brand Tools don't make a mechanic and neither does a toolbox I don't buy junk I have a lot of snapon stuff but also a lot of craftsman stuff too........ I have never had to chase the craftsman man down while driving down the road to get a wrench replaced but with snapon it's hard to say lol. I have waited several months on parts for a ratchet or testlight or even a little cordless impact before all because of a pizz pour snapon rep. I also have some johndeere tools ( I was a Mechanic at the JD dealer at the age of 16) , thier professional line is made by Mac and then semi pro made by craftsman (the craftsman professional line ) I have a few sets of both including snapon, with 3 shops and a couple of service trucks my tools are always getting scattered around and I don't want to spend the money for S-O for all places. I have never ran into anything that I said "oh crap I forgot my S-O 9/16 and I can't get the job done with my craftsman I better go back to the shop) All that said, yes I prefer snapon but let's be honest...... Money is an object lol and I don't make my living with hand tools but I highly respect those that do :usa Look at it this way,....... If you load a truck once in a while a skid loader will serve purpose, but if your a rock quarry and load all day every day a expensive wheel loader is the tool of choice..... They both work and will get the job done but one will make you a little more money Pj
Craftsman professional is SK. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Proto,snap-on,craftsman,and all Milwaukee cordless and corded(grinders,portaband,etc)
My thoughts as well. I have some Snap On stuff and most of it I don't feel is any better than the dozens of other brands. The warranty is a hassle for sure! Back when I ran a tool room we spent around $50k-75k a year with Snap On and it was ALWAYS a fight to get things replaced. "Oh that was abused". "Oh that isn't warrantied against that". I'm talking about 10-20$ items for the most part too, screwdrivers, Allen bits, etc. It got to the point I had to have him sign a hand receipt because he would steal the tools... didn't have a replacement so would have to "order it" but needed the broken tool. Also their torque wrenches are horrible! All our stuff had to be calibrated (PMEL). Often brand new out of the box they were WAY off and couldn't even meet *-5% at all. On one order of 3/8" torque wrenches it took over a dozen to get 4 that met specs! I know there are die hard Snap On fans, but for the price, not worth it. The stuff I bought was 50-60% off cost (discount i had) and even still it was spendy.
I left the Auto repair business 5 years ago for a different career. All my tools are now at home in my own shop and I couldn't get a Snap On dealer to even call me back. I have this old Snap On roll around tool cart that was all worn out that I wanted new casters for. After emailing, filling out contact forms and hearing nothing, I finally called the phone number in Wisconsin thats listed on the Snap on web site. They sent me a repair kit that consisted of 4 new casters and all new bolts/nuts in the mail free of charge, they even coverd the postage. So if I have any other problems, ill go direct to the company. She told me they will warranty over the phone and mailout, just hold on to the old stuff in case they want it back. Not as easy as going to Sears, but If I already own it at least I can get it fixed.
I like most have a variety of tools from from snap on, craftsman, wright, proto, and many others. My favorites are from the 70's. A 12" adjustable wrench and a 12" adjustable spud wrench both from Diamond Tool in Duluth, long since gone the way of other U.S. manufacturers. The 12" spud opens to 1-1/4 inch which makes it real handy. Both are still tight geared after all these years. My 1976 set of S & K one half drive socket set is still complete and working hard. Been abusing them for 37 years. There one fault is that the side walls are to thick to fit some recessed bolts.
I tried that this summer for a pair of "duckbill" pliers. Only after I pushed the issue of not being able to get a dealer to warranty it did they do that. I was in touch with several dealers, even tried to meet up with them and it never worked out. Maybe just me but for the price their tools command getting service after the sale is tough!
With snap on the particular dealer really makes or breaks their quality. I have the usual mix of tool brands that comes from being A third generation mechanic! The only place I'm fussy about is corded power tools, then it's milwaukee or porter cable. I prefer Cornwell or weight wrenches, however I have plenty of snap on, craftsman etc. I did spend good money on a set of may
With snap on the particular dealer really makes or breaks their quality. I have the usual mix of tool brands that comes from being A third generation mechanic! The only place I'm fussy about is corded power tools, then it's milwaukee or porter cable. I prefer Cornwell or weight wrenches, however I have plenty of snap on, craftsman etc. I did spend good money on a set of may
what makes me sick is the pressure put on these younger guys starting out, tool truck rolls in yard and starts pushing boxes as big as skidsteers, year later only thing in box is every other brand tool and weekly payment receipts on tool box, tool ( drug ) dealer shows up six times a year in car to collect, but can't fix or replace ****. If i had a screw driver or wrench for every coffee mug, wall clock , beach towel or other junk they ad into the special that they removed a socket or wrench from, don't get me wrong i have plenty of there tools, but i buy less and less each year, tired of chasing that truck to get something fixed, thats if your lucky and they have it, or you four days till they visit, one week till the order goes out and then- you bought anouther brand in the mean time. Well blood pressures up now.
I have alot of most major brands and cant say much bad about any of them but the dealers are another story. Just like overworked said alot of young guys fall for the shiny truck tools. I have a set of impact sockets that a friend gave me they are not made in the usa and i would never belive that i would steal be useing them to day after 30 years.
I have a lot of different brands. I love my sk ratchet. It's only broke on me once and that's because the kid was using an eight foot pipe on a 3/8 ratchet. Understandable. I buy mostly napa because the local napa store is great. I can have them drop tools off every day and I've never even had them question a warranty. Stellar customer service. We buy a lot of oil, filters, parts, etc from them so I also get a really good discount on their tools. You couldn't convince me to take a big loan out on tools. Buy a decent wrench set. Good 1/2 and 3/8 ratchet and socket sets. you'll need some adjustable wrenches, pipe wrenches, vise grips, screwdrivers etc. Buy the rest as you need it. An older tech gave me that advice and told me that if I have to borrow something twice I need to buy my own. Been a good rule of thumb for me. I don't have a huge set of tools but learning to work with what you have is a valuable skill.
Best wrench for me? I've carried a little 4inch craftsman adjustable wrench in my pocket for 40+ year's. The chrome is all worn off but it has saved my butt more time's than I can recall. Over the years I can't imagine the step's that little bugger has saved me.
Yeah, can't stand to be without my Leatherman, makes me lopsided... therefore, I can't stand...never mind... Has the little mini-mag lite holster too, it really is a handy tool...:cool2 OCR...
Have a couple of generations accumulation. Barcalo, Billings Life Time, SK, Craftsman, Cornwall, Snap On (not impressed), Thorsen, Blackhawk, a box full of etc., and yes, Harbor Freight and other imported budget items. My favorite is the old SK Rotohead 3/8 ratchet that my dad bought in about 1973. Brilliant design. Okay, maybe not brilliant but danged nice.
The best tools are the one that help you get the job done .No mater what the brand .I have every tool name under the sun .All have have gave great sevice in the shop or on the road in service truck .Twenty two years repairing car,trucks and heavy equipment .
My uncle that helped get me interested in mechanics carried a 3/8=7/16 1/2=9/16 and small channel lock pliers. Back then you could fix alot of stuff with those tools alone.