As if anybody here didn't already know this, here's an example of what happens when you don't use the grease gun. JLG 80HX boom lift, steering pivot pin, pin siezed in brass bushing in the axle housing that it's supposed to pivot in. Instead, it rips out the pin retainer bolts underneath and causes pivot action to happen in the motor housing, where it's not supposed to pivot. Tried a little bit of heating with rosebud, unh unh, that pin is stuck! Now I ain't about to spend a half a day and empty the tanks of my gas axe trying to fight that pin out, nope, I'm going to cut the pin in half. Get out the Jancy Slugger drill. Annular cutter bits are so sweet to work with. These things chew through steel like it's wood, and leave a true/clean hole. Chewing through that pin like it ain't nothin'
First hole down Move to opposite side, second hole done Move to center grease hole, change to 9/16" slugger bit, finish it off, pin sliced in half
This allowed the pin to collapse and I could knock it out with a ball peen hammer. Whole process less than 30 minutes Hmmm, a little wear where it was pivoting in the motor housing hole Hole in motor housing ain't much better Well, got some machine work to do...all from not using a grease gun.
let me guess, a rental of the sunbelt persuasion?
LoL...no how in the world did ya guess that! :falldownlaugh
can't get that terrible green color un etched from my brain, and need I say more about a rental unit?
Rule #1 - Never, EVER purchase rental fleet liquidation iron.
Generally, yes. This one I checked out. It was re-man'ed by JLG in '04. Overall machine in very good condition. Critical components like boom and slew ring are tight, motor is very good, got like 1,400 hrs on it. This was the worst problem I found on the machine. Other than this, just minor little things. Besides, in this economy...I need something to do anyway!
Ah a perfect job for a thermal lance. Just bore a hole strait down through the middle.
Impressive.It is nice to have the right tools to work with.I learned something today,I never saw a bit like that.Thanks,Ron G
lol what did we just say about rental equipment in the bobcat thread....I haven't seen that happen yet....thank god. Nice job getting it out!!
Hey Dualie, I'd like to try one of those things, don't know much about them. I've had to deal with a number of stuck pins through the years. How deep can they punch a hole? How would they react to the grease in the grease hole in the center of the pin?
I see you added a few more pics, Atco..nice job!:drinkup This thread is becomming very informative.
Howdy Ron :drinkup Yeah, those bits are cool tools. The annular cutter bit is a steel eating beast. I use the Jancy drill with their "Slugger" bits. These things are incredibly sharp, don't need any kind of pilot hole regardless of size, and drill holes as clean and true as you can get aside from an end mill. They are expensive, though. But if you take care of them, keep coolant/lube on them during use, they give excellent and long service. And, I have a local machinest that has the equipment to sharpen them when they get dull.
Thats the worst thing you found on that machine? It must be new to S*nb*lt, they have the in the rental world. It really me when they bought Nations Rent. We dont call them for nothing.
LBTCon, just a warning since you are new. You might get a talking to from one of the mods about your sunbelt comment, this forum is very even and strict with their rules about bashing a company or brand.
ATCO nice work with you annular cutter we use ours often, we even have a smaller set that you can use in a regular drill it has a spring loaded centering bit that will cut thru 1/4" like butter. At least you didn't have to break out the thermal lance and burn it out.
No, really guys, don't be so surprized. This one is a decent machine. Yes, I have seen plenty of "junk" from all rental fleets, including Sunbelt, as well as from contractors fleets; stupid, careless, could care less operators are not limited to nor specific to any one organiztion. I am a JLG certified tech and I have checked out this rig, it's in good condition, for real! Anyway, I didn't intend this to be about the green paint, it just happens to be that (poor thing), I posted this to help brother mechanics with just another technique to perform the tasks that we do everyday and I'm interested in learning other's techniques as well.
Atcoequip that is some good work. It is neat to learn the little tricks to fixing stuff. It seams that your shop works on about everything. What type of dealer are they?
We're an independent used equipment dealer and repair shop. It wouldn't be prudent for me to expound beyond that limited description as I hold high respect to the forums advertising policy. I'm not here to sell, just to help my brothers with grease under the fingernails, and learn a little something myself from others.
:drinkupAtco my hats of to you! That was one nice, tidy and professional Job! I have used those drills for other unusual jobs, but would'nt have thought of it for that!
them dang ole grease worms........
My dad taught me that trick years ago. I have done it with just stuck bolts you are worried about breaking off. Drill on the center with a bit, and relieve some of the tension, and they will back right out. One of the handiest items in the shop is a full set of left hand drill bits. When you strip the had of a screw or bolt, you can drill it with a small bit, and then step up to a larger bit. It will bite, and back the screw or bolt out.
Well brother, that was the whole point of this thread, not the Green Paint. (dang...even the "grin smiley" is green...lol) I think I can say for certain that all of us wrench benders have a trick to perform some kind of task that we frequently encounter. I will always attempt to share some little trick I've learned and hope others will teach me something along the way as well. :drinkup
Well, I finally got back to the repairs the other day. I had my machinest repair that egg shaped hole in the motor housing by placing the housing in his end mill, boring the hole oversize, then make a steel bushing with his lathe to fit into oversize hole. Bevel edges, place steel bushing in hole, and TIG weld it in place. Then mill the outer surface where the brass bearing plate goes. Ole' boy did some nice work. inner side showing weld of steel bushing outer side where brass bearing plate resides
Now, one of my favorite tools. Time to install new steering pivot bushings. Perfect job for the Enerpac hollow ram cylinder. A piece of 1 1/4" threaded rod, a few bearing cones for pressing tools, and press the bushings in place. set up and ready to press pressing in bushing pressed home
All finished up and ready to go. Almost forgot, that long bolt is for the steering cylinder. The bolt had come loose and the back and forth action wallered the threads in the hole somthing fierce. Machinest did the same trick as with pin pivot hole. Bored the hole out with his mill. Made a steel bushing with 1" coarse threads, set bushing in hole and welded it in. I'm pretty happy with his work.
Thermal lance doesn't care what you put in front of it. It will even cut granite and concrete. The grease will probably help get the pin out because the heat from the lance will soften and melt the grease and keep you from veering off coarse. Its probably the most violent and nasty tool known to man for removing metal but its a damn handy piece of kit and defiantly has its place. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHK4-XVT1c http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4r7OKkXmU
Beautiful work ATCOEQUIP, nice shop too... wish I had one. OCR
Wow that is pretty crazy! And I thought a gouger was a fire flinger.
Be careful what you wish for, I might retire and move to Montana and bug you to build a shop with an overhead crane.
If your thinking of getting one your going to want to invest in a suit from these guys. http://www.torchwear.com/products_ProtectiveWear.asp Its a pretty awesome tool.
Damn it man... get a move on. Good machine shop just down the road too... about 6 miles. Owned by ranchers/farmers... the even have a gear hob. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_hobs OCR...
That's cool! I've been in 26 of the States, but haven't been to Big Sky Country. First, though, I have to take some beer to North Carolina and eat Red Bank's steaks. Then I must make a trip to Long Island and lounge at Speedpup's Bed & Breakfast. Then...Montana is calling.
greaseworms......... that machine work looks sweet.............nice going....:usa
Very, very nice work ATCO, keep it up!
WOW, my hat is off to you. Great thread, great pics.
What happens when you don't grease? and wish you'd chosen different words in post. I have a tendency to dwell on certain things. And I'm sure that doesn't make me unique in any way, to other members on HEF, or for that matter, people in general. Some times a person will dwell on something that was said to them, which at the time, didn't seem significant, and probably even wasn't. Then they start thinking about it and become angry or resentful, or it could be the opposite, they become happy or pleased. Sometimes, it's something they said, start dwelling, and become sorry, or perhaps a little embarrassed or ashamed... the message might not have conveyed exactly what was intended, or sound right, due to simply how it was worded. After all of that, I'll get to the point. Even though that was actually intended as an invitation, and, it's used around here as such... I don't like the way it looks, or "sounds" when I read it. ATCOEQUIP, my friend, I think I could have used a better choich of words... OCR
I post these type of threads to show owners of machines different ways to perform repairs. I'm kinda hoping that other wrenches will post threads showing "how to" repairs, I'm always interested in learning new ways of doing things.
Relax, bro, I didn't take it the wrong way. Actually took it with a smile. And yes...I wish I could get a move on, just ain't in a position to do it at the moment. But I refuse to let go of my dreams.
Actually I was referring more to the "Damn it man" part, but I'm relaxed now.... Whew... We're done here!... OCR...
Relax, I knew that's what you were referring to. I just took it as an adamant invitation, one I desire to accept.