Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What are these remaining parts and functions of the HTC 8670?

Cartoondude135 ยท 2026-06-28 00:23

While re-examining the pics I had in my library and the new auction pics I collected, I realized I'm missing some other critical parts and their purposes: This hatch just behind the crane's cab; what's inside this compartment? Then this side compartment on the front right side. Now, I can confirm, that stainless steel compartment on the left side near the middle of the truck crane is indeed a storage box for small items and maybe one sling leg as I have a refernce image of it right from Machinery Trader. And unusually, a flip swich on the outside just above the front left headlight. - Why would I need that there? What is it used for?

Replies8
  1. #1crane operator2026-06-28 13:21

    first picture is access door to the hydraulic oil cooler and fan area. Second picture is just a storage compartment, not all 8670's have that. The air tanks are usually under there, limiting the size of the box. The switch by the headlight is for the front outrigger jack. Three position switch, EXTEND- OFF- RETRACT

  2. #2Welder Dave2026-06-28 20:08

    A simple switch like that for the outriggger seems out of place for a large crane.

  3. #3Cartoondude1352026-07-03 03:51

    *clenching his teeth tightly* Please tell me this is it! (the hatch just behind the crane cab) I just snatched it off of Iron Planet's auction tonight! https://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/it...um=referral&utm_campaign=syndication&src=mktg

  4. #4crane operator2026-07-03 06:27

    Yep, The hyd. motor and compressor is the A/C, next to the cab, down low. The fuel tank is for a upper heater. The closest thing to the camera is the top of the hyd. oil cooler, which is like a radiator, and will have a fan on it. The grey box mounted on the back of the cab, is the junction box for the LMI system.

  5. #5Cartoondude1352026-07-03 06:32

    Beautiful! All I need now is that storage box on the front right side! It's ok when someone feeds me words as intel, but it feels even better when something is complete like a jigsaw puzzle with all the pieces present in place on the finished picture.

  6. #6crane operator2026-07-03 06:47

    I don't want to throw your computer modeling all off or anything, but I feel I should add that all these pictures you have, are of a older 8670. The new ones are built slightly different. And designated as 8675 New ones have round bottom booms, instead of the older square boss boom. No boxes on the passenger side of the upper, and the drivers side of the upper is just a panel, and open. The counterweights are build different all flat slabs, and the winches are different also. The new ones look like this. The pictures you have are from a late 90's early 2000's crane.

  7. #7Cartoondude1352026-07-03 09:39

    It's ok. I have almost all the pics of the 8670. Thx again, though! I'm only after the HTC 8670 and the 120|HT. Sry.

  8. #8Cartoondude1352026-08-22 16:12

    After what felt like decades of chasing ghosts, YABBA DABBA DOO!!!!! The case is officially closed for HTC-8670!