Does anyone know what brand of final drive the Kubota KX040-5 uses?? I finally got rid of the Bobcat excavator drama and have purchased the Kubota KX040-5 2026 model. I am trying to learn as much as possible before I take delivery next week. Any thoughts??? Any advice??? I need all the help I can get Kind Regards, Joe
Not sure, curious though. I do know it is very easy to change oil. Make sure and keep up on this! The small machines only hold a very small amount of oil.....I used Cat TO-30.... On our first 100h (I did at 50 hours) change out I was surprised at the amount of very fine glitter. I believe it was considered normal break in material. This was not seen in subsequent change outs. Our machine was walked in and out of several mining properties, in the first couple of years I put at least 60km of straight walking on the machine. I change the oil often! Our 210 has had at least 80km of straight walking over the years, I also use the Cat TO-30 in it. The key is to change oil often. I like to rinse/rotate tracks with diesel to flush then add the new oil. Personally I rarely use high speed travel on any of our machines; even if a 10km or more walk. Just requires a lot of patience.
The planetary drive will be a Japanese brand, Nabtesco,Hy-Drive or 1 other that I can't remember. Parts probably available as a lot of outfits specialise in repairing them. Lots of parts in them are proprietary.
With the small quantity of oil in the finals the best advice is to change the oil every time the engine oil is changed, whatever the manual might recommend. Cheap insurance.
Thanks I agree that really makes sense!
As for maintenance, they are pushing the intervals longer and longer, which I think the EPA has more to do with than the manufacturers. All my new equipment gets a 50 or 100hr initial engine oil/filter change as well as final drives. I also cut the mfg recommended intervals in half for subsequent oil changes. 200-250hr for engine and change finial drives at the same time. 500hrs is way too long IMO, which is what they are now recommending.
I think you are right.... Also what about these 'thin' oils. Perhaps I am wrong but I just keep using 15w40 in everything.
My newer Kubota stuff all came with 10w30 engine oil, as long as they don't burn any I'll keep running it, most everything else I run 15w40. Those are the only two diesel oils I keep in stock. Kubota lists 15w40 as being an ok alternative for temps down to 14*F.