First let me say this is a awesome site. did not know it was around until i found it looking for info on my 941. well i am getting ready to change the transmission oil and was wondering what brand and type of oil to use? I will be getting the oil from ether Napa or O,rielys auto parts store. I have a account there. sorry if my frist post is a dumb one. I have put a lot of money into the old girl and have a lot more to go.lol Thanks Mopar65
oh sorry the s/n is 8OH2365
welcome mopar65. I can't answer your question but I am sure there is someone on here that can. There is a world of information on this site, I mean literally from all over the world.when I first found this, I spent hours reading the threads.there is one from " boone "that is a complete story in itself. I am the owner of a jd 450,which has become a big yellow money sponge. but it sure has been fun. I am not too far from you, good old bourbon mo. good luck with your machine
This is whats recommended for your trans in SAE 30. http://parts.cat.com/parts/machine-fluids/oils/transmission-and-drive-train-oil/cat-tdto Here are the refills for a 80H.
hey thanks for the info. Yes you are right about the money sponge. I all ways though race cars were a lot of money, that is until i started working on this cat.lo I about have it 1/2 restored . the next big thing is ether put new tracks on it or have new pins/ bushing put in mine and put new pas on it when i have the money.
thanks for the info and chart. so the trans takes 30 weight and not 10?? glad i asked becasue i was going to try and find 10W for it. I think napa has some 303 brand universal hydraulic/ transmission oil that i was thinking about getting. but was not sure. thanks bobby
It's temp related.
so does this chart mean i can put 30W engine oil in the transmission and final drives? Thanks Bobby
One of the nice things about older Cat equipment was that there were no special lubrication requirements. In normal temperature ranges all engines, finals, and transmissions used 30W, hydraulics used 10W.
thanks for the info guys. well hope i did not hurt anything in the final drives becasue the guy i got the loader off of said he was useing 80/90 in them. and they have been that way in over a year. also i have been runing 15/40 oil in the engine. here is a pic of my loader if it works. thanks Bobby
We also use 15w40 in engines, 50w or 30w in finals. Not all SAE30 will work in a transmission because of the different additive packages. BTW, the wrong oil is better than no oil.
hi lee thanks for the info. The only S/N i can find on my loader is 80H2365. I will have to see if the parts store can get the cat oil. but the oil that Napa had that i looked at said it was approved for cat. but i do not remember what all cat products it was approved for. Hey i like your avatar. my dad was in the air cav during the Vietnam war. he was a door gunner on a Huey helicopter.
If its comparable to cats TDTO then it should be good to go. Looks like napa has it. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=VAR325_0006505635
Lee thanks for finding that for me. holly crap that stuff is a lot of money. well thats not what i looked at because the stuff i was looking at was only $42 dollars for 5 gallons. i will have to look at it again now that i know to look for the TDTO rating. thanks Bobby
You need TDTO/TO-4 oil for power train service, well in Cat machines anyway. As lee says it has additives in it designed to work with transmissions, etc. Back in the day your 941 was built it would have been a TO-2 specification oil, these days it's a TO-4. Price-wise for the oil, check your local Cat dealer, you may be surprised. There have been quite a few instances on here recently of members asking about 80W/90 or 85W/140 oils in final drives. Cat doesn't recommend it because there is evidence (and it's been around for years) that the EP additives in the gear oils take out the silicone-based rubber rings in the final drive Duo-Cone seals. They can be pretty expensive to replace.
Hey there, Like Nige says the cat dealer is not as much as you thing on price and you can sleep well at night knowing that you have the right oil. sam
hey thanks for all the great help guys. The bad thing for me is the cat dealer is over 70 miles from me. but that would not stop me from getting the oil from them. I will have to make some calls tomorrow during lunch. also was talking to a friend at work to day and was telling him about my question on here. Well i for got but the us army puts 15w40 engine oil in everything on the D7G dozers we have here. I work for the us govermnet. Now i am not saying i will be doing that, But was wanting your thoughts on that? Thanks bobby
As others have mentioned, the TDTO specs can require particular additives to transmission oil that engine oil does not have. The viscosity would be acceptable for everything (except hydraulics in cold weather), but the additives would not be present. Having said that, it does make sense for the government (especially the military) to standardize oil whenever possible. I would still suggest that you follow the charts provided earlier in this forum.
I would assume that either the US Army either has logistical issues in having multiple types of oil available at every location, or more likely they are working to a lowest common denominator regarding the people they have working in vehicle maintenance and are scared of someone putting the wrong oil in a compartment. In a word - don't ......... Mopar - don't get hung up on that you have to use Cat oil. I wasn't aware that the nearest dealer store was 70 miles away from you when I made the suggestion. And quite frankly I wouldn't recommend Cat oil just because it says Cat on the drum, just that more often than not it is a quality oil that is very competitively priced.