Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Bucket Configuration Is This Called?

michael Griffith · 2021-06-01 21:03

I just bought a 2006 Terex HR16, (please don't knock it, it does mostly what I want) With that said it has a 24" bucket which it will fill up with dirt nicely. It seems a little too big for every task. I have found a 12" bucket on FB and know how to weld and use cutting torches. Of course the bucket I found does not have the same ears as mine. Mine appears to be a semi quick coupler, not the hydraulic real quick attach. It has the two open ended ears and a single 1" 1/2 pin. I know Terex parts are not so plentiful. If I search quick attach excavator ears all I get in return is Kubota. I hate to spend a couple hundred bucks on a set only to learn they don't work. I have attached pictures of what I have. Is it something Terex specific, or with other weld on ears work? Second question; mine looks a lot like a New Holland EC series. Does anyone know what parts will interchange with a Terex HR16? I am sure I will eventually be buying parts and this information will be great. Thank you

Replies16
  1. #1uffex2021-06-02 13:11

    Good day michael Attached may help.The pin dimension was posted by another guy. The device is a pin grabber many makes in the market place. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2michael Griffith2021-06-04 21:19

    Thank you for the reply, but that does not work for my issue. It has a pin that you hook a rod into and turn. This makes the pin on the bucket go outward. It will only turn a 1/4 turn and the pins spread maybe a 1/4 inch. I have tried pulling them, beating with a hammer, turning it further and curling the bucket in, out, up, or down and nothing. Odd machine to say for sure. No information anywhere I look.

  3. #3skyking12021-06-05 00:16

    Can you take a picture of that detail?

  4. #4michael Griffith2021-06-05 11:24

    Absolutely, here it is. Notice in the pictures I have turned the center pin a 1/4 turn and it spread the bucket pins about a 1/4 inch. That is as far as it will turn. Believe me I have bent several items trying to make it turn further. I have clamped on the end of the pins with vise grips and pulled like crazy and nothing. I have tapped, beat and banged all over this and nothing will move. It seems like some sort of a pin lock that turns and frees them, but it will only turn a 1/4 round. Odd contraption. I have seen several wedge lock, quick couplers, but this one is new to me.

  5. #5skyking12021-06-05 11:44

    They retract to remove bucket. turning the other way does it get retracted past flush at all?

  6. #6skyking12021-06-05 11:55

    https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-attachment/for-sale/28859019/terex

  7. #7michael Griffith2021-06-05 16:48

    I have tried turning it the other way and thought that would work, but it will not turn. I may try again later today and let you know. I appreciate all your advice. I can tell you once I get it figured out I will make a video and post it to YT so no one else has to fight it as hard as I have. It may be that it is just jammed up with grit? I have soaked it with penetrating oil and greased it good. Hopefully eventually I will get it to release.

  8. #8Aarons812021-06-05 17:08

    Have you hit all the grease points with a grease gun. Looks a little dry, you might be missing a grease zerk on the other side.. Have you tried turning the post while tapping on the pins?

  9. #9Aarons812021-06-05 17:09

    Kinda reminds me of the boom safety lock outs on my New Holland skid steer.

  10. #10skyking12021-06-05 19:19

    make sure you have it curled to just the right angle where it is just hanging on the big pin. When it is right, you can grab the bucket by the tooth and rock it, so the play goes either way on the little pin.

  11. #11michael Griffith2021-06-12 15:55

    You guys are great! It just took a lot of turning, tapping and getting it just right to free it up. I assume the previous owner never took it off before. It had grit and grime from several years of being seized up. Thank you all for the help.

  12. #12Redneck2812021-06-19 12:14

    I have the same Machine and also had the same problem, when I turn the bar I tap on the top of the center pin where the bar goes in and it works perfect then. Not sure if it’s just luck or if that’s how it was designed. Also does anyone know where to find this style bucket?

  13. #13TC352021-11-25 13:33

    Hi Michael I too just purchased a 2003 HR16. The Terex bucket is propietory to TEREX\Schaeff. It is a German machine. Still widely used in Europe. That's why you can find parts readily in Europe. However, I think I may be able to help others find parts here in the states. Below is the parts manual. I know it says TC35 but it is the exact same machine as the HR16 and the parts manual also shares dimenions of many parts. http://manuals.gogenielift.com/Parts And Service Manuals/data/Parts/Terex Construction/IO/CCE-TC35.pdf The quick change that you mention has two detent ball and spring combination that mount from the side of the frame. There you will see a recessed allen head aka hex bolt. One on each side. Remove both sides and pull out the spring and detent ball. What happens is the pin you turn only move less than a 1/4 turn. With out the detent spring and ball in place the pin will move freely but will not spin completely. (Ref parts #12-19) THe best thing to do now is to remove the 40mm spacer on the one side of the quick attach (Ref#6,7). It is held in by a large circlip. Remove the clip and you be able to pull everything out. But first remove the circlip holding the rotating pin mechanism (Ref#16 &19). If you are fortunate enough to have it. Mine was lost and the previous owner welded a washer to hold it in. Once the two clips are removed first pull the pin out the top then remove the large 40mm pins (ref #15). Note they only go in one way. You may need to tap them through from the one side because of old grease holding them in. When you get the pin out the top you will see the two depressions that accept the detent ball. So far I have been able to find every part here stateside. Terex was bought by Yanmar and Yanmar is Vermeer. So a call to your nearest Vermeer dealer will yield good results. Seems there is a warehouse full of parts in Georgia. I am looking for an operators manual and a used ditch bucket. Anybody got one? Curious if these machines have a float position for the blade. Hope this helps Ed

  14. #14cuttin edge2021-11-25 14:27

    Keep in mind that the blades on these machines are not meant for a lot of dozer work, just to level a bit of material now and again. Even full size machines have a heavier undercarrage you can order if you plan on doing a lot of blade work. None of our minis, 308, or 14 ton machines have float positions. We did however rent a Kobelco with the heavier dozer blade, and the beefier under gear, and it did have the float option.

  15. #15TC352021-11-25 15:06

    Great! Thanks for that. While I was replying to the question I realized the vertical pin can be put in with two options. You should put it in so the detent ball locks the 40mm pins in the open position. Here's a short video. You can hear the detent ball click into position.

  16. #16uffex2021-11-26 03:56

    Compliments TC35 what a helpful reply you gave. Regards