Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What controls what on a Cat 257b?

TonyBolt · 2013-11-30 11:50

I bought a 07 Cat 257b and did not get a manual with it. It came with a standard smooth bucket. I bought a 4-in-1 bucket and after installing it I can’t get it working. (bucket to open and close) I don’t know what all the switches inside the cab are for and what all the buttons on the joystick are for. There are 2 buttons on top of the left joystick, one is the horn and the other is for ? The right joystick has a trigger for your index finger and a roll type switch for your thumb. Not a clue what they do. Can anyone give me a crash course on how to operate the hydraulics on this thing and what the switch are for? Thanks for any info!

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2013-11-30 12:21

    PM me your Serial Number and your e-mail address. I'll send you the section of the manual showing what controls what.

  2. #2TonyBolt2013-11-30 12:47

    Can't get the PM to work, keeps telling me that I don't have permission to access this page. Serial # CAT257BJSLK05934 Email - [email protected] You replied to a question I had about a week or so ago about No panel lights on a Cat 257b. Will not start. It has not did that anymore. You mention that you would send the electrical schematic that's always good for diagnosing electrical issues. If could send it also I would appreciate it too. Thank you for you help.

  3. #3farmkid16_20022013-12-02 20:58

    257b First make sure the hydraulic hoses are connected to aux hyds. The thumb wheel on the right joystick will open bucket by rolling forward and close when rolling backwards. These thumb wheels are famous for going bad when hooked to computer they will not return to zero setting but only the dealer can hook up to it. Could be the solenoid also on the control valve under the seat on the right hand side, all hyd functions are pilot oil control but the aux hyd should be electronic.

  4. #4powerjoke2013-12-02 22:24

    Crap I just got out of my 257b about an hour ago with a. 4-n-1 and I can't remember either lol, the right stick thumbwheel operates the bucket/aux and if I remember right you push the thumbwheel and pull the trigger and it stays engaged as if running a trencher or auger etc. I have 4 buttons on the left and I think one is horn I don't remember what the other 3 are ........ I also have an electrical connection so maybe it's for running a 6-way blade or stump grinder or something ?

  5. #5Nige2013-12-03 06:51

    I sent him the diagram from the O&M Manual showing what controls what. I assume that's why he hasn't been back ...........

  6. #6TonyBolt2013-12-03 11:14

    Thanks you all for the replies. I wish I would have found this web site before I bought the 257b. I would have bought something else. As far as the running of the machine it's great for what I'm doing, but it has a mind of it's on. You get in it one day and it starts, cuts off then starts with no problems. Park it for the night; get in it the next morning and nothing! I mean nothing; I got out checking to see if someone had stolen the battery out of it. I tried everything I could think of and Nige suggested some things but still nothing. (Again thanks Nige for the diagrams) Said the heck with it. Went out the next day and climb in, set down lower the safety bar turn the key and what you know everything working just as if nothing was wrong. This has happen twice in least the 2 weeks of owning the thing. As far as the aux hydraulic they have not worked at all. So after all the aggravation I decided to take in to the local dealer to have it check out. I was not sure when it was serviced last so I’m having a 2000hr serviced done to it. It has 2250 hours on it. I’ll feel better knowing that everything is fixed and serviced the first time and then I can maintain it after that. I drop it (and a blank check lol) off yesterday evening, now just waiting on a call. Will post the outcome when I pick it up. Tony

  7. #7Cmark2013-12-03 16:05

    I know you've now sent it to the dealer, but for future reference and anybody else who's interested; The aux hydraulics are controlled by an ECM. The system may not be "faulty" per se. It is fairly configurable and may just need Some software switches changing (with ET) to suit the particular joystick fitted. It also works through some of the tiny relays on the fuse panel under the seat which may be missing or may need swapping places. Just depends on what you want the aux hydraulics to do. There is a second ECM which controls the interlock and starting system. This is not, however readable with ET. You have to troubleshoot it with flash codes, but as you have no power at all, this isn't your problem. If you open the back door, there's a row of largeish relays on the left hand (I think, maybe right?) wall. One of these is for main power. Next time it plays up, give these relays a tap and see if it springs to life.

  8. #8TonyBolt2013-12-09 15:14

    Ok got my skid steer back from the dealer on Friday and here is what all was going on with the machine. As far as the aux hydro not working, it was the thumb wheel switch on the joystick. Cost: $365 for the joystick and 2 hours install labor at $92 per hour. Total $549 for a $20 on/off switch. And they replaced it with a joystick that did not have the trigger button at your index finger. When I question this I was told that I did not have the wiring going out with the aux hydro so why put that joystick back on it because it was a $109 more than the one they put on it. Not sure if I should make them change it or not, what would you do? I don’t need it today but not sure if I will need it in the future. This one is for the people who like to help others out in trouble shooting there problems. Now, as far as the machine losing all power. Let me go back a little and explain what was going on. I bought this 257b (no attachments) at an auction about 4 weeks ago. I bought it home and unloaded it with no problems. Rented a tooth bucket from the Cat dealer until I could find a 4 in 1 bucket to buy used. I put around 4 to 5 hours on the machine just playing around the house getting used to it. Parked it in the garage at dark one evening and went out for dinner with the family. Came back that night 3 hours later and my son wanted to know how to run the machine. Told him to get in started it up. He told me that it would not start. No power, no panel lights, horn would blow but that’s it. I check the battery had 12.8 volts. Check the main reset button, not that. Checked all safety switches. Took the panel down with the key switch on it and check for voltage, had power coming in and going out to the relays. Taps on all the relays still nothing. Give up for the night. Went out the next day, got in the machine hit the key and had power, started it up as if nothing was wrong the night before. Used it 2 or 3 days with no problems. Used it last Saturday for 6 hours, parked it garage late that evening. No problems. Sunday need to work on my truck so I was going to move the skid steer out the way and guess what, the dang thing would not start again. No power to anything but the horn. Try everything and anything to get it running but nothing. Went out Monday and started up again as if nothing was wrong. This is when I decide to take it in to the dealer. Now as far as what was wrong with it. Anti-Theft Mode. The ECM was program to run 7am to 7pm Monday through Saturday only. The fix, reprogramed it to run 12:00am to 11:59pm Sun to Sat. Now it will cut off for 1 minute at midnight. Was told to have it set to run 24/7 they would have to replace the ECM with one that did not have the Anti-Theft Mode built into it. Cost 4.5 hrs. labor $414. My take on all of this, I don’t mind paying for the work to the ECM and programing it. You can chase something like this around for and long time and never find anything. But $550 to replace a broken switch in my book is just plain out wrong! Hope this will help out someone with a problem they have one day.

  9. #9Nige2013-12-09 16:22

    So it's fitted with the optional Machine Security System (MSS). A lot of rental kit has it so as to stop unauthorized perons driving machines away outside working hours. Needs a dealer guy with Cat ET to re-program it. Moral of the story (but too late in your case): Do your homework and know what you're buying before shelling out the cash for a machine. As regards the $550 for the switch, it's the same deal as the expert guy who was brought in to troubleshoot something where the owners had tried and failed. He spent a while doing diagnostics and ended up chalking a cross and said "Replace that". When his invoice arrived it was for $5,000. When the customer questioned the amount and asked for a breakdown they got this reply - "1 Cross - $10. Knowing where to put the cross - $4,990". You were in exactly the same position. You had no manuals or other technical literature and so you went to the expert - the dealer. A lot of times the dealer (I know, I used to work for one) has his hands tied because a lot of small parts like your failed thumbwheel are not available separately. The amount of labour to replace the joystick would be about the same as that required to replace the thumbwheel if it was available. The only difference is the price of the part required.

  10. #10Sweller2022-10-04 08:26

    Nige I also have a 257b just purchased and putting new motor in it. Can you send me the control functions for in cab like you sent Tony. I have no clue about the joy sticks or any of the rocker switches. Also the wiring diagram. We got everything hooked up and we are just getting a clicking sound and lights go out on panel, so I'm thinking a ground? 2004 caterpillar 257b SLK01055 [email protected]

  11. #11Nige2022-10-04 16:35

    I'll send you the electrical schematic. Search for Cat Publication SEBU7732 on eBay or wherever, or you can download one for $52 from https://catpublications.com/

  12. #12Sweller2022-10-04 16:56

    Thank you for the info. The electrical one would not down load. It says down load unsuccessful.