Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What could it be?

joekackson · 2024-12-30 15:19

Hi all - I have a 2020 TB235-2 with 300 hours on it. This morning, I was doing some light-moderate work moving some old logs and one log had limbs still on it that got hung up in another tree. Obviously, these don't have a lot of strength while turning, but I forced the branches to separate by swinging the boom. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a clicking sound when I rotated the turntable. No matter how smooth I am with the controls, it can be felt and heard as soon as I start to rotate and just as I come to a stop. I contacted the dealer, and naturally, they want me to get it to them. Taking the cab off is a full-day job at $175/hr. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened? I've ran smaller machines and beat them up in the past and never had an issue like this. Just can't imagine that I damaged it, but unfortunately it looks like this will cost me.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2024-12-30 15:52

    When did you last grease the swing bearing or the swing pinion.? Might be worth a try to lash some more grease into it.

  2. #2joekackson2024-12-30 16:06

    Hi there, I greased it just a few days ago. I just added more and rotated it just in case. There appears to be some play in the turntable up and down if I extend the boom out and raise or lower it slightly. It's definitely not as smooth as it was. I just can't imagine that I damaged something so easily.

  3. #3Nige2024-12-30 16:08

    That does not sound good.

  4. #4joekackson2024-12-30 17:03

    Not at all. With 300 hours on it, I can't imagine the bearings would be worn, and I don't know how I could've damaged something from swinging it around. Frustrating beyond belief.

  5. #5ianjoub2024-12-30 17:32

    Did you check for trapped debris? Maybe a branch got in there and makes noise.

  6. #6joekackson2024-12-30 17:35

    From what I can tell, there is nothing trapped. It definitely sounds like metal on metal. The rotation is nowhere near as smooth as it was earlier.

  7. #7Nige2024-12-30 18:18

    If there is “some play in the turntable” to use your words, then there is definitely wear in the swing bearing. The only question is, how much wear.?

  8. #8joekackson2024-12-30 18:31

    Fair point. Just odd to see wear at such low hours, no?

  9. #9Nige2024-12-30 18:34

    I agree. It really needs one of the Tak specialists to chime in with a procedure for measuring the movement so as to put a number on it and determine how good/bad it is. I’m sorry I have no idea what that procedure would be.

  10. #10joekackson2024-12-30 18:36

    No problem. Appreciate the responses.

  11. #11Nige2024-12-30 18:51

    Here's how to do it on a similar sized Cat machine (3.5 ton) to give you some idea.

  12. #12joekackson2024-12-31 08:20

    Does this look normal? Grease leaking out? I guess I can't upload a pic. I noticed grease leaking out from one location

  13. #13Nige2024-12-31 09:35

    You can upload a photo. Click on the "Attach Files" paperclip that appears in the bottom LH corner of the screen where you type your text. Just so you know, in order to get grease evenly distributed around the swing bearing the normal practice is to apply grease, roatate the upper frame by 90 deg, grease again, and continue that process moving 90 deg each time until you get back to where you started. It may be that you simply added too much grease in one spot and some of it has leaked out. Also - the procedure above is for greasing the swing bearing. There will be a totally separate procedure for greasing the swing pinion teeth. Consult your operation/maintenance manual.