Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What did I end up with?

Awmosby · 2023-07-18 23:51

Here's a predicament that wasn't expected. I've been looking for a backhoe to go on my 580B for a while and finally found one a few states away through an equipment auction. The listing said it was a model 35 and came off a 580B So, I got it at a decent price and freight wasn't too bad to have it picked up and hauled. Needs new hoses, seals and snap rings on some of the pins but it's in pretty good shape otherwise, so meh. I got it off the trailer and wrestled up into the yard then started looking at it a bit more closely and the mounts seemed... wrong. The uppers are not right and it wasn't something that was noticeable in the auction photos. I took a tape to it and the upper mounts fall pretty much dead even with the arms on the tractor, not to one side or the other. The bottoms are fine and the distance top center to bottom center is fine. So what model hoe did I end up with? I can't find a plate anywhere on it. Since the measurements work out otherwise, do I see if I can have arms fabricated or grind out the upper mount blocks on the backhoe and weld them further out?

Replies3
  1. #1MG842023-07-19 07:22

    That hoe is from a much newer machine, mounts look very similar to those on my ‘87 480E. Probably came off a similar vintage 580, could have also come off a track loader. Not sure on the mounts, I’d be inclined to cut the upper mounts off the hoe and fabricate ones that fit your tractor.

  2. #2Old Doug2023-07-19 07:41

    I bought a hoe that is a case i wonder what year it was from it is a extend were you pull a pin out manually slide it out then replace the pin. I wonder if it would be very easy to go off the serial number on them or do they have numbers on them ?

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-07-19 08:02

    Look on the side of the tower that encloses the rods for the control valve. I don't think there is any way to determine the year of manufacture once it is separated from the tractor it was put on at the factory.