How can I be a machine operator without any experience in the usa? I prefer to be a machine operator than doing OTR truck driving and being away from home all month.
Experience and seat time
I get what you are saying here, but seat time doesn't come easy. I cleaned a lot of catch basins and sewer junctions before I was allowed to run equipment with one company... Little did they know I already had 3,000 hours on elevating scrapers at the time. Super was kind of amazed when I got my chance to show off.
most don’t begin as an operator. I think most begin as a laborer then move up to operator. Most anyone can sit on a seat to pull levers. It takes thousands of hours to become smooth and efficient. Then once you get better at the controls you must know the process for example while running an excavator on a pipe crew. Things like how far to excavate, when to drag a trench box, when to add bedding stone when to lower pipe in the trench. I know with our company we like to begin on our crew by starting as a top man. Then move to pipelayer then to backfill/ compactor then loader operator, and then main line excavator. The thing is that the best operator has been a good pipelayer. And the best loader operator has been a good topman. We don’t have work classifications. We all work as a team to get the job done and go home to our faimilies. I’ll also encourage a new guy to operate the loader or backfill excavator before or after hours or during lunch to get more seat time.
Well said PipeGuy. The trick isn't running the machine. It is safely and profitably completing the task to which you are assigned.
i WAS WORKING FOR A ROUSTABOUT CO. AS A ROUSTABOUT/ MECHANIC WHEN NO ONE WAS AROUND I WOULD GET ON THE TRENCHER BACKHOE START PLAYING. ENDED UP DOING ABOUT FIFTEEN YEARS IN A 580E. GOOD LUCK
Hopping on a machine and running it on lunch breaks or after hours is great as long as you have permission and know the controls. It is best to have some supervision though. Sneaking onto a machine when know one is around is a good way to get fired! Machines can be extremely dangerous for someone without experience and they can also be seriously damaged by someone not familiar with all aspects of them. Some people just aren't meant to run machines as well. Every time I see a newbie hop in a skid steer they figure they have to show off and see how fast they can go. I just shake my head. You run it like all day long and you'll be crippled up in no time. Let the machine do the work without forcing it instead trying to set a world record. You don't want to take the next day off because you cant walk and your back is killing you. The most important part of running a machine is knowing how to make the finished job look like it's supposed to. That comes with experience and some good guidance is a great help.
Just study how to use it i know for sure you'll get use to it
I reckon to a excellent operator you need to be a lazy labourer. I hate moving dirt with a shovel. ;-)