Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you consider a worthless piece of equipment?

chidog · 2023-01-29 17:23

Track loaders here. Yeah they can lift stuff but that is about all they are good for. One outfit I worked for had one of the older 977's and it could barely move itself, and they wanted us to use is like a dozer. I've run the Internationals and the Cats, don't care for them at all, maybe for a home owner where speed doesn't matter one would be okay.

Replies138
  1. #1heymccall2023-01-29 18:39

    Hmmm. Wonder why I have 3 of them? Stripping topsoil on a ROW before utility installation. Supplying and removing materials to aid in utility installation along a ROW. They also keep my dump sites dressed and settled. Glad I'm not narrow minded

  2. #2_Weldman_2023-01-29 18:50

    Built my driveway with my 977K, busted rocks buried in the ground with it, maintain 6 plus miles of private road to my house, flattened and cleaned up a torn down house with mine, plowed snow, plowed through a hillside and 900' for emergency fire break/ driveway with mine in 12 hours. Lastly moved stuff around the property as needed and pulled vehicles stuck wherever out here, and used it as a scaffold. Seven mph is top speed, we ain't trying to win the Kentucky Derby here, how fast do you want to go, might want to look into not tracked machinery. Yep it's like a Swiss Army knife for around here.

  3. #3DDoug2023-01-29 19:02

    I owned a Fiat Allis 12g for a few years, it was pretty worn out, but ripping tree stumps out it was the best.

  4. #4chidog2023-01-29 19:23

    I guess having non loader pads helps a small amount. Sorry, I'm mostly a dozer person, but can operate many other machines as well. A 977K maybe a way better machine than the ones I have run I don't know. I have thousands of hours dozer clearing, and never liked trying to do that with a loader, but then again the ones I ran had loader pads. One thing about the cats I just hated is the bucket control being azz back wards. Pull to dump? Stupid

  5. #5Shimmy12023-01-29 19:42

    631 scraper with no push cat.

  6. #6suladas2023-01-29 19:47

    Years ago I was digging a basement addition for a guy and he said he would move the dirt with his old track loader, never really see them around I thought it would be so slow. It is slow, but it sure can move some dirt in a hurry. They will out push or dig any CTL any day without a sweat. I think their purposes on construction sites are limited, but for a farmer? They could be super handy.

  7. #7skyking12023-01-29 19:49

    Nod to the pimpless can above. I'm not fond of fixed angle dozers that are one way or the other.

  8. #8CM19952023-01-29 19:52

    If I only had one piece of equipment to make a living with it would be a rear engine, hydrostat Cat track loader. Absolutely love my '04 953C.

  9. #9petepilot2023-01-29 20:27

    best grading system ever invented pull both levers to lift and roll bucket at same time to spread

  10. #1092U 34062023-01-29 20:47

    Tree shear

  11. #11CM19952023-01-29 21:06

    SSL/CTL 6-way blade.

  12. #12_Weldman_2023-01-29 21:22

    A piece of equipment that doesn't run. If it can run no matter what it is, I will find ways to make it more useful than just it's intended purpose.

  13. #13digger242j2023-01-29 21:35

    Well, I'm a little disappointed, CM. I had no doubt which side of that question you'd come down on, but I honestly expected your reply to be more along the lines of, " Blasphemy!! " I had to give the question a little thought, but I'd have to say that a backhoe attachment on the front of a skid steer was more trouble than it was worth, even 30 years ago when I last had the misfortune of being put on one.

  14. #14Welder Dave2023-01-29 22:02

    Skid steer rototiller. Maybe with a high flow machine would be better but still don't think comes close to a PTO rototiller in terms of efficiency. Also a certain brand of hyd. breaker but the dealer renting it was even worse. Don't know what brand but would only work for literally 5 minutes until the oil was at operating temp. and then completely quit. You'd have to wait over 1/2 an hour for it to work for another 5 minutes if you were lucky. Took it back to the dealer and they were aware of the problem! They gave me another brand and it worked flawlessly.

  15. #15Steve Frazier2023-01-29 22:09

    I worked a lot of construction in my early years and around here I only saw track loaders in landfills, it was very rural and spacious here then. BUT...... I worked down in cramped Westchester County and saw how well a track loader works in confined areas. The company was leveling a very small lot for a structure and when I first pulled up there was barely enough room for the machine and my ten wheel dump to pull in. He went to work on the Cat track loader and had me loaded lickety split and it wasn't long before there was plenty of room on the same lot. In their element they can't be beat!

  16. #16Tyler d4c2023-01-29 22:25

    Backhoe attachments on any thing be it a skid loader wheel loader dozer tractor track loader. A square baler is also a very useless item that is literally way too much work. A trencher is about useless in our area 9 out of ten times it's too rocky to use. I realize in other places it would be great tho

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-01-29 22:32

    Standard backhoes are OK if you can move the machine in the backhoe seat. Skid steer backhoes either have a seperate seat or you sit in them and can't see what you're doing. A former neighbor made levers to go to the steering levers from the backhoe seat to make the backhoe much more useful.

  18. #18crane operator2023-01-29 23:15

    Hydraulic clamshell for a crane. I bought one years back in a pallet of stuff, and I've never even thought about getting anything rigged up to run it.

  19. #19heymccall2023-01-29 23:17

    My sub for boring uses one on their crane when my hoes aren't available or, can't reach.

  20. #20crane operator2023-01-29 23:30

    I'd love to to find a use for it, I just haven't yet. we're all rock here, so its pretty limited for digging here. I thought I was going to hook it up for cleaning out a sewer plant pit, but that didn't pan out. Its in my yard if I need it!

  21. #21JD955SC2023-01-30 05:25

    953s, 963s, and to a lesser extent 973s and 943s are extremely popular and long lived machines in my area.

  22. #22Willie B2023-01-30 08:03

    When the hole for my foundation was dug 43 years ago I knew little about excavation. Most cellars here were dug with dozers at the time. My soil is boulders, they are typically potato shaped, some as big as a HUMVEE. It was dug by a family I've since become very close to. The boss sent his nephew to dig it. He unloaded an International 150 track loader. 150 model comes from 1.5 cubic yard Drott 4 in 1 bucket. I'll guess the machine weighs 20,000 LBS. It took days to get 11' deep in all the impacted boulders. After that it was somewhat quicker. Drag backward to knock down a big (typically 2 cubic yard) rock, get it into the bucket. Only a few spots was he able to scoop a bucket full of gravel. The little bit of gravel he found was needed to give the machine something under the tracks. I never see a new track loader. Charlie Abbott loved them, probably owned 20 total IH 175 model. I feel track loaders have been replaced by faster working machines. They seem slow to me. Before the big excavators became common, loading in a gravel pit was mostly done with cable shovels, a VERY efficient way to load. A good operator can load keeping up with several tandem haul trucks.

  23. #23oarwhat2023-01-30 08:24

    Here in Buffalo,NY track loaders are rare. We have wheel loaders all over the place because of the snow. One job the guy had a little 450 Case track loader. I was impressed with what he got done with it.

  24. #24Old Doug2023-01-30 08:46

    ??? Maybe you have different trees than we do. We had alot sheared here and the stumps didnt matter so it worked out good.

  25. #2592U 34062023-01-30 08:53

    Had one show up as a demo unit. Wasn't impressed. For the cost you could buy a nice chainsaw and still have a pretty big wad of cash left over.

  26. #26kshansen2023-01-30 09:06

    Yea but then you could not sit in the warm operators seat listening to tunes on your ear buds! Or yacking on cell phone!

  27. #27Old Doug2023-01-30 09:16

    You do have different trees than we have here . We have ever greens here it takes half a hour to cut your way back in to find the trunk. The good thing about a shear is they shear it then can carry it to a pile. I have alot of trees to do some day i would gladly saw them off and push them up into piles but i dont think it is the cheapest way to go.

  28. #28Old Doug2023-01-30 09:20

    Any thing with a engine and no seat.

  29. #29Tinkerer2023-01-30 09:52

    chidog; You must not have ever ran a 973 that is in decent shape. I ran them many times. The hydrostatic drive in them is what made them so versatile. Absolutely no comparison to any of the 977's I ran.

  30. #30terex herder2023-01-30 13:46

    But after you buy 30 chains because you dull them sawing in the dirt and wear out 1 chain a day after resharpening every hour your pile of cash is gone and your knees are full of sticks. I hate tree shears from the jagged stump. I think a skidder mounted rotary saw is the better method. They can get much larger trees than a shear, cut close to the ground, and can grind out the stump if desired.

  31. #31Truck Shop2023-01-30 17:43

    When I worked construction the company had 2 953's and 1 963. All three got the guts run out of them, very little trouble/problems. The operators liked them, did a lot of work with very little down time. So I guess speed with possible issues or not so fast but reliable-I would take the latter imo.

  32. #32Jimothy2023-01-30 17:56

    Saw a snow blower today that couldn’t even fit a foot of snow in it and you had to bend down to reach the handles… only thing I can think of is to throw it through a store window to get a snow shovel?

  33. #33Welder Dave2023-01-30 17:56

    Track loaders definately have their place. They can do the work of several other machines when required.

  34. #3492U 34062023-01-30 19:21

    I just don't see the point of a tree shear in this region. Anyone who's cutting down timber for profit would be using a buncher simply for volume. The cost of a tree shear is pretty high too. Even a small one is dang near $20k if I'm remembering it right.

  35. #35CM19952023-01-30 19:32

    Digger just trying to live up to a New Year's resolution to be more tactful with a sprinkling of pleasantries. I'll admit that statement did test my convictions.. However it is Blasphemy! A track loader is the Swiss Army knife of construction equipment! Thanks Dig that felt good. Now back to those resolutions..

  36. #36terex herder2023-01-30 19:42

    Different regions. If you took all the trees of value in the entire state of Kansas you could probably haul them off in a week or two. Here, trees are cut because they encroach on pasture or cropland. Stumps at ground level you can drive over are best. If the land is going to be farmed you can take out the root ball, but otherwise that disturbs a lot of grass, plus you get a lot of dirt in the burn pile. Even the walnuts are referred to as gunstock trees, 'cause that is about all the longer piece of good lumber you can get. Hackberry, locust, Siberian elm, western red cedar grow good easily.

  37. #37John C.2023-01-30 22:09

    Track loaders were popular clearing machines before I started wrenching for a living. The excavators with thumbs took over that business completely. Track loaders then became the goto for demolition, particularly on commercial buildings and some on residential housing. There are still a few on landfills in eastern Washington. The issue is more geographic that anything. I never cared to have to work on one, lots of climbing and trying to fit into small places. I also didn't like the old ones with power shift transmissions because to work on the engine you had to lock the bucket up in the air and work directly under it. I don't consider any machine worthless. It just needs to find the right owner with an application to use it for.

  38. #38Tyler d4c2023-01-30 22:19

    I'm going to add any deere crawler models Mt though 450b any with dry clutch. Some of my earliest memories is fixing rusted together clutches........

  39. #39HardRockNM2023-02-02 02:45

    Shaft sinking is the only thing I know of them getting used for around here.

  40. #40Willie B2023-02-02 08:02

    I see them advertised for sale often "......Just needs steering clutches......." Been sitting in the weeds 10 years because you can't steer them. Even if it were true, steering clutches are a lot of unpleasant work. Then these abandoned beasts need years of TLC to revive them. If you don't live in Arizona, you might have to do it twice.

  41. #4177Ford2023-02-02 09:11

    I'm going to say a box blade on a light duty tractor in rocky ground, drives me insane how terrible that combination is.

  42. #42Welder Dave2023-02-02 17:17

    That seems like more a wrong tool for the job deal than a useless tool.

  43. #43stinky642023-02-02 18:37

    How about the life support system for a vagin...Nah not going there

  44. #44alco2023-02-04 00:06

    HR says I'm not allowed to call people useless anymore. So I think I'll just keep quiet on this one.

  45. #45Welder Dave2023-02-04 00:21

    Some people are worse than useless and cost you money and time.

  46. #46cuttin edge2023-02-04 11:01

    New machines come along all the time to replace old ones. More power and comfort. The younger crowd moves towards them, and condemns the older ones. But take an old cable run shovel and put it in the hands of someone with a lot of time in the seat, and suddenly it's not so useless anymore. One guy hates a tree shear, and another finds it quite useful. Tit for tat I guess

  47. #4792U 34062023-02-04 11:12

    I've always been the guy that could care less about creature comforts. As long as the heater works good in the winter and it doesn't break down excessively I'm all good. Don't even really give a crap about A/C. Rarely even use it in my pickup lol.

  48. #48NepeanGC2023-02-04 13:10

    As someone who owns a tree shear, and has worked out in western Canada, I agree a tree shear would not be my weapon of choice west of the rockies. That said, here in Eastern Onterrible, 90% of trees are less than 8-10" DBH, so a tree shear works very well, and doesn't have the liability of firing material like a feller buncher. For us, they work exceedingly well on a 10-15 ton shovel, and can easily clear/stack 1-2 acres a day, which is about all we every seem to do for new custom homes. My vote for most useless machine is skidsteer backhoe. Tried one once. Never again.

  49. #49cuttin edge2023-02-04 14:28

    And you know what it's like to run a real excavator. But to some guy renting one, with no equipment experience, he might think it's way better than shoveling. I've run a back hoe, and I know the convenience of swinging my seat around. Imagine my annoyance the first time I ran a back hoe attachment on a farm tractor with a cab. Getting out of the tractor, climbing on the back hoe. Maybe not being able to quite reach, and having the front bucket half dug in the ground to keep from moving when you dig. Climbing down, back into the tractor to move a foot. Left the bucket flat that time. I was annoyed with it, the guy that owned it loved it. Just all a matter on our personal preference I guess. I carry a plate tamper, and a jumping jack in the back of my truck for compacting places where the roller can't get. New guy on my crew keeps wanting me to ditch them both and get a 1000 pound tamper which he prefers. My work truck is only a half ton, and my lift gate will barely lift it.

  50. #5092U 34062023-02-04 14:31

    I worked at a rental shop that had a skid steer backhoe attachment. In the couple years it was there I think it might have went out once.

  51. #51OzDozer2023-02-05 04:55

    I've seen very little, by way of worthless equipment - but I've seen a lot of worthless operators!

  52. #52Old Doug2023-02-05 08:52

    I think it would be ok but it would need two operators or one very young one.

  53. #53kshansen2023-02-06 07:59

    And I saw more than my share of worthless upper management people! Most of the immediate supervisors were not bad but seems like the last few years every level you went up the ladder they got worse. Just too far removed from the actual work to understand what was needed to make things work!

  54. #54Acoals2023-02-06 20:15

    Backhoes. A poor excavator and a lousy loader. Something only a farmer could love . . .

  55. #55ianjoub2023-02-06 20:24

    " What do you consider a worthless piece of equipment? " Tits on a bull.

  56. #56Tyler d4c2023-02-07 12:14

    My own nipples just there for looks

  57. #57Pantano2023-08-28 00:08

    A worthless piece of equipment, my first wife!

  58. #58hvy 1ton2023-08-28 00:17

    I'm allergic to junipers and black locust thorns are poisonous; both grow like weeds here. I have 2 shears.

  59. #59Willie B2023-08-28 07:13

    I'll say backhoes on very small compact tractors are very limited in usefulness. I see hundreds of them rusting away unused. I have sons & extra sons. I was installing invisible fence one weekend, my son & his friend showed up with a little 23 HP Kubota backhoe loader. They traded for the weekend. With my full sized machine, I could drive the teeth vertical into the sod, part it, make a shallow trench 6" deep. Working 8 feet at a time, I could lay the wire & squish the trench closed. I didn't need to actually dig a ditch. With the little machine it was necessary to straddle the property line & actually dig a shallow ditch with 10" wide bucket. It was a slower project, but it worked. Got to the gravel driveway, took 2 hours to dig across. Same machine, different day, we had a customer had installed his own underground conduit for utility power to his home. He overshot the power pole & the conduit came out of the ground 3' past the power pole. Instead of hauling my backhoe to do the job, we took the little Kubota. What would take minutes to excavate with a full sized machine took 6 hours with the mini. Worst problem was the reach so short the spoils kept falling back into the hole, had to move often to move the spoils pile. Best to limit their use to those who retired too young & want to plant posies or shrubs.

  60. #60Welder Dave2023-08-28 14:25

    The little backhoes are useful for some things but I think the fact people can have a backhoe (for a lot less money) is a cool factor and Kubota and other brands use that in their marketing.

  61. #61cuttin edge2023-08-28 20:42

    Not sure what they look like in your neck of the woods, but I would sooner see the one with the scales, than the one with the creeper in his hand

  62. #6292U 34062023-08-28 20:48

    I have mixed feelings on that. Lots of junk on the roads these days that shouldn't be.

  63. #63Welder Dave2023-08-28 22:17

    Good to have inspections but don't go after guys just so you can give a ticket. I'll never forget when I got pulled over by the truck unit. I was carrying a 45 HP tractor on my 14K skid steer trailer behind a 1 ton. I just got gas and made sure all the chains were tight. I think they may have been waiting for me because I barely made it back on the road. One guy asks for my papers while the other guy is going around checking everything (and saying it's all good). Then the first guy gives me a $150 ticket because he claims I'm overweight and don't have the weight numbers on the side of the truck. I tried to explain that when I registered the truck and trailer nobody there mentioned anything about needing to put weight numbers on the truck. I know in the past if it's not a serious offence they would give you 24 hours to correct the problem. Not this guy. There was absolutely no safety issue at all, I just didn't have some numbers on the truck. What a bunch of BS. Several people told me I should have fought it because the guy was guessing the weight and never put it on the scales. I've seen so many idiots driving half tons pulling larger skid steers, on too light of trailers, that are clearly overweight with no numbers that are a clear safety issue but I get a $150 ticket because I was never informed I needed to put some numbers on the side of the truck. Just an ego thing for some of these law enforcement goofs. Go after the clear violations.

  64. #64Georgia Iron2023-08-28 23:20

    I used to think that. But they shine on larger jobs that require moving material such as gravel on big building pads. They are 2 fold better than a skid steer. Hard to beat 3 forward gears and way less dust to eat. The hoe is handy for digging out light rocks.

  65. #65Acoals2023-08-28 23:22

    Wait until you try a real loader . . .

  66. #66Georgia Iron2023-08-28 23:24

    Depends on what you are doing. But if it takes more than a few scoops we bring in dump trucks.

  67. #67Welder Dave2023-08-28 23:43

    Cat didn't get into backhoes because they are poor sellers. They are one of the most popular machines there is.

  68. #68JaredV2023-08-29 08:43

    A lot of guys have started their business with a backhoe and a pickup. Drove them everywhere until they made enough money to buy a dump truck and trailer. The driving factor that forced them out of residential use around here was when the authorities started going after you for getting a little mud on the road. If you need to move from one lot to another in a subdivision, you have to load up anyway so may as well have an excavator. I wouldn't sell them short on loader work. My boss and I were loading ourselves with 1-1/4"- with his clapped out 580k. At the end of the day we had hauled 600 yards.

  69. #69Acoals2023-08-29 11:09

    A backhoe is just like a Swiss Army Knife. Handy if that's all you can find in the bottom of your backpack, but otherwise generally useless for anything in particular. Except opening letters, I guess . . .

  70. #70Acoals2023-08-29 11:18

    3rd gear in the backhoe =

  71. #71JaredV2023-08-29 11:53

    I've got an old Oliver backhoe based on the 1550 tractor so long wheelbase. Not so maneuverable but dang, that thing rides good.

  72. #72Georgia Iron2023-08-29 13:04

    Welder Dave. I have been using a cat 4 x 4 back hoe on my last job. It is strong and I can hit a pile of gravel in 2nd gear just fast enough for the speed and weight of the machine to get a nice heaped scoop. Acoals as far as third gear goes, it is plenty fast enough to hit ruts or other unlevel areas and dam you hope and pray you don't wreck. Loaders are risky to move around a lot close to big concrete crews, can't see enough or hear enough. Loaders are definitely faster. But we don't get them as an option. Either a back hoe or a skid steer and a mini ex. I would rather have the back hoe. It just moves faster over the big areas we are doing. One thing I absolutely don't like about them is they are really tippy and I have more than once thought I was going to lay it over driving over partial loads of gravel...

  73. #73_Weldman_2023-08-29 13:37

    Try this with a backhoe for speed…

  74. #74IceHole2023-08-29 15:15

    That does screw with my head too. May end up switching hoses to fix it.

  75. #75Tyler d4c2023-08-29 15:51

    Switching hoses doesn't do a good job of it it makes the detents not do the right thing

  76. #76Welder Dave2023-08-29 16:01

    I meant backhoes in general are very popular not just from Cat.

  77. #77cuttin edge2023-08-29 18:04

    Yeah but the guy with the creeper in hand is not a mechanic. In the 80s an MVI for a commercial vehicle was every 6 months. They cried about it and made it every year. Now in NB an MVI for a personal vehicle is every 2 years, and they are considering doing the came for commercial vehicles.

  78. #78JaredV2023-08-29 19:58

    I was told by a long time owner that was for ditching. You work crossways to the ditch line, roll the bucket all the way forward, put the teeth at the near edge of the ditch, and then with the two levers working in the same direction push them both forward and it lowers the boom and rolls back the bucket simultaneously, scooping out a rough ditch.

  79. #7992U 34062023-08-29 20:32

    I've often wondered if I could override a CVSE officer if I got pulled over for some BS violation and I whipped out my Red Seal truck & transport ticket. Wonder how that would go down?

  80. #80AzIron2023-08-29 20:51

    up to 8 backhoes the work we use them for will out perform any excavator in variety at about the same price pound for pound and the places I take backhoes on a regular basis would be a lot of work for a mini ex and sometimes near impossible for something on steel tracks In my very un qualified opinion I could never get away from backhoes and go all excavators my profitability and flexibility would drop a lot

  81. #81Welder Dave2023-08-29 20:54

    Read John Griffin's post about tree's and it appears they officers at the weigh station didn't know the rules regarding cranes.

  82. #82Willie B2023-08-30 07:43

    I have land 3 miles from home. I can be there in 15 minutes driving a backhoe. 100 yards is steep. I can't make the hill with an unloaded truck towing a heavily loaded trailer. An excavator would force me to unload out at the US 7 intersection & walk an excavator 1/2 mile. I can use one machine to dig, load, & a multitude of other tasks an excavator can't do alone, would need a loader also. An excavator & skid loader paired might do the job, they'd have to be quick to make up for transport time. As another example; I had a square hole to dig. Customer wanted 15 x 15, 6' deep, flat, square corners suitable to pour full of concrete. He specified the spoils be placed 100 yards away. It was just far enough from home to justify using the trailer. Loading & unloading twice each & doing the job, including levelling the floor of the dig took 8-1/2 hours. Had I hauled in an excavator, & skid loader, then shuttled the spoils 100 yards with the small loader bucket on a skid loader, I'm pretty sure it'd take much longer. No argument, a 5 ton excavator will dig faster than an 8 ton backhoe. A skid loader will move soil well, the small load capacity is a limiting factor. Can't beat the versatility of a backhoe.

  83. #83cuttin edge2023-08-30 18:57

    My father was a mechanic all his life. The last 30 as a T&T man. I remember him going to court because of something like that. I remember how mad he would get at trucks getting towed in to the shop when there was no need at all. Once a fella was towed in. He had a crack in the angle that bolted the fifth wheel to the frame. Well past the last bolt. it could have been cut off at that point and not made a difference. Worst part was, he was hauling a tandem dump trailer load of road salt, and they towed him in with a single axle wrecker, still hauling the trailer.

  84. #84materthegreater2023-08-30 21:33

    Willie, how long is your trailer? I don't move backhoes very often but I moved a Ford 555D today and the boom hung off the back of the trailer a bit. My trailer only has a 20' deck including the beaver tail.

  85. #85Willie B2023-08-31 21:11

    18' flat + 5' beaver. John Deere 410C with long lip loader bucket & extend a hoe I could only catch the bucket teeth on the extreme rear of the trailer. Case 580 Super N outweighs the JD , but is 2.5' shorter. I remember people towing backhoes with loader bucket over the tailgate of a single axle dump, front wheels off the ground. Others used a short trailer, loader bucket in the air over the truck body. Vermont Agency of Transportation might take a dim view of that. One small scale excavator towed all the time with little or no chains, flipped his JD 350 (?) into Baker Brook one day on washboards.

  86. #86materthegreater2023-08-31 21:38

    I've never liked the idea of transporting equipment with the loader bucket up, though I have done it for short distances on rare occasions. I now have a bigger truck and bigger trailer and the Ford fit a bit better but it's still not ideal. Current trailer shown here has 17' flat, 3' beaver.

  87. #87Welder Dave2023-08-31 21:42

    Looks like an older ** backhoe in the 1st pic.?

  88. #88materthegreater2023-08-31 21:46

    Yep

  89. #89Welder Dave2023-08-31 23:37

    I think the backhoe might be a 220 but what is the tractor?

  90. #90skyking12023-09-01 01:53

    Several of the contractors I have worked for over the years had backhoes in the fleet. R T & T was notable for bidding and doing 8" ductile iron water mains. He had a Case excavator that sat quite a bit, and a few 580's and mostly 590 4x4 extendahoes. We laid miles of ductile with the extendahoes. They were fast, and had plenty of power for the job. We had enough reach for the 18'+ long sticks of pipe. I'd load a trailer of pipe, pull the slip on forks off that hoe and tuck them under the pipe, and then put them on a hoe on the job and scatter pipe. We ran a crew of 3 operators and a pipe layer. I can't see how we could have done it with only excavators as quickly. Backhoes rule when you have the right kind of job for them, enough space to work, etc. I do think the little backhoes on kubotas are a joke, only because I value my time. If I have digging to do ( and not with the company iron) I will rent a 35 mini or similar before I fit my large self on one of those little TLBs.

  91. #91skyking12023-09-01 01:58

    I've dug one ditch with a bobcat skidsteer backhoe. That was enough! I do enjoy all the new kit that can go on a CTL or skidsteer except for that piece of junk with another seat on it.

  92. #92materthegreater2023-09-01 06:22

    Not sure, that was several years ago. Wasn't my machine.

  93. #93Georgia Iron2023-11-23 09:18

    Let's see a mini do this

  94. #941693TA2023-11-23 09:49

    Don't ask my wife this topic question regarding anything I own.

  95. #95Acoals2023-11-23 10:04

    Why do we want to do that ? ? ?

  96. #96Welder Dave2023-11-24 00:40

    Wouldn't going along both sides on top be much easier and safer?

  97. #97Old Doug2023-11-24 11:40

    Ever saw a Herzog cartopper? I worked for Herzog several years ago.

  98. #98skyking12023-11-24 12:34

    I don't think the other side is accessible at all, and even an extendahoe is not going to reach the middle.

  99. #99skyking12023-11-24 12:36
  100. #100Zewnten2023-11-24 20:48

    There's a company I know of that just drive an excavator on tracks from car to car, no guides as far as I can tell. Freaks me out haha

  101. #101Georgia Iron2024-08-21 22:17

    Getting hauled down the road in Atlanta today, I saw one of these. It was pretty dang awesome. Government & Defense | JCB Discover JCB's advanced solutions for government and defense sectors. Explore our robust machinery designed for efficiency, reliability, and superior performance. www.jcb.com I guess I need to get out more because I have never seen one. I want one

  102. #102Welder Dave2024-08-21 22:30

    It looks a little crude and visibility is severely restricted. For military it might be OK but for general use I'd rather have a conventional backhoe.

  103. #103Georgia Iron2024-08-22 01:37

    Ok Dave. Did you see the specs on it. Locking diffs, big tires, 4 in 1 bucket, snorkel, ac , 2 operators, 60 mph, 200 hp 6 speed, qsb 6.7 Cummings, 27,000lbs. Power Side shift forks It's a beast. My kids would love a seat...

  104. #104Welder Dave2024-08-22 02:43

    Sorry, but it doesn't seem very practical for anything other than military use. There are backhoes with 4 large wheels. I think Hydrema makes some cool backhoes.

  105. #105Willie B2024-08-22 08:08

    Pretty impressive machine. I like the mobility. It can drive 60 MPH on a highway.

  106. #106CM19952024-08-22 09:53

    That contraption reminds me of this movie - The Pentagon Wars (TV Movie 1998) ⭐ 7.1 | Comedy, War 1h 44m | R www.imdb.com

  107. #107Welder Dave2024-08-22 16:53

    Contraption is the first word that comes to mind. Maybe if they made a civilian version with much better visibility it could be considered practical. I imagine it would be pretty scary to drive at 60 MPH.

  108. #108Truck Shop2024-08-22 18:41
  109. #109chidog2024-08-22 19:23

    Easy to disable it. Aired tires rubber burns shreds etc, exposed hydraulics, etc etc. Huge waste of $ and poorly designed.

  110. #110Welder Dave2024-08-22 19:43

    What is that? Looks like it scoops dirt up on a conveyor or something.

  111. #111Truck Shop2024-08-22 19:47

    Don't know, just thought it was odd.

  112. #112Welder Dave2024-08-22 19:48

    That it is.

  113. #113Georgia Iron2024-08-22 21:24

    They have 3 different armor packages. The one I saw on the hwy was decked out. I bet they have the mechanical drivetrain and hydraulics figured out on how to take a few hits and get out of dodge. To me it looked like it was designed to protect the operators from small arms. It made an armored humvee look weak. The hydraulic system is comprised of 2 fixed displacement gear pump sets and one electrically operated emergency pump feeding the open center loader and backhoe control valves. Hydraulic integrated circuit manifolds control suspension, steering, parking brake, transmission services, and cooling fan drive. The system incorporates:– • Gear pumps for high reliability, low noise operation of main hydraulics • Electrically driven emergency pump allowing limited operation of main hydraulic functions in the event of engine failure • Integrated hydraulic handtool circuit to HTMA type 2 with 50 foot hose reel • Full flow 10 micron filter to ensure that oil stays free of contaminants • Auxiliary hydraulic connections on loader and backhoe for optional attachments Three operator selectable steering modes available. • 2WS for on-highway travel. Power assisted mechanical front steering and locked rear steering • 4WS for loading duties and confined sites. Power assisted mechanical front steering and synchronised hydrostatic rear steering • Crab steer for parallel drive when digging close to walls and other obstacles. Power assisted mechanical front steering and synchronized hydrostatic rear steering Bridgestone 445/80 R25 tires on steel 2 piece rims. Hutchinson VFI runflat inserts fitted to preserve mobility in the event of tire burst or deflation runflats and crab steer.

  114. #114Georgia Iron2024-08-22 21:34

    Dave they have a version in the pdf that is a normal enclosed type cab....

  115. #115Welder Dave2024-08-22 21:59

    Nothing opened when I clicked on brochure except 1 pic. I think it would be big and clumsy and maybe too heavy as well. The loader bucket is a long ways in front of the driver. It would be interesting to hear what operators of it have to say.

  116. #116Georgia Iron2024-08-22 22:01

    when it asks for your information scroll to the bottom and click skip it should open the PDF

  117. #117JD955SC2024-08-23 07:49

    Eww a JCB

  118. #118Truck Shop2024-08-23 08:33

    What would a civilian need this for?

  119. #119Georgia Iron2024-08-23 11:32

    You could take or leave the armor. But the machine has been upgraded in lots of ways, if you have spent much time on a backhoe you should be able to figure it out... I would like it just because of the second seat. I wish every tractor I had, had one.

  120. #120Truck Shop2024-08-23 15:12
  121. #121Welder Dave2024-08-23 16:19

    I think the military JCB would be more of a hindrance than a practical machine for civilian use. Too big, too awkward, too heavy, too clumsy and most likely too expensive. I would bet a standard backhoe half it's weight would out work it by a large margin. As a military machine it may have a good purpose but as a productive TLB not so much.

  122. #122JD955SC2024-08-23 19:19

    For when the local .gov gets uppity

  123. #123AzIron2024-08-23 19:50

    That looks like a long day on that

  124. #124Truck Shop2024-08-23 19:58

    Detroit & no hearing protection, if he's still alive he's high performance with twin hearing aids.

  125. #125Welder Dave2024-08-23 22:51

    Yeah, the exhaust pointed forward doesn't fool anyone.

  126. #1268V712024-08-23 23:01

    The only worthless iron is one you have invented more than it has made you or a machine that has that has an operator that makes it useless ‍♂️

  127. #127rookerrobert2024-08-24 16:50

    I don't think any equipment is useless I believe any and all have there place in the right time. I have ran some that thought had seen better days but still gets the job done.

  128. #128HardRockNM2024-08-25 01:45

    Spending some time around early 994s may change your mind.

  129. #129Welder Dave2024-08-25 02:13

    What was wrong with early 994's?

  130. #130Shimmy12024-08-25 02:51
  131. #131rookerrobert2024-08-25 11:05

    lol....you need to know the first grader I ever ran had a gas and diesel motor some guy call the knuckle busters. But it still done the job.But I also ran a cable type d-7 also gas and diesel that thing would hurt you...the lever to had to crank the gas motor when into the hood and if the gas motor didnt crank but backfired you had better turn that lever loose or you would end up across the tractor on the tracks on the right side...I know from experience I was pissed.

  132. #132rookerrobert2024-08-25 11:07

    yeah that is a big loader for sure!!!!

  133. #133HardRockNM2024-08-25 14:20

    Poor reliability, very poor service access. Everywhere I've worked can barely keep them running; one mine basically wouldn't allow the thing out of sight of the shop.

  134. #134Welder Dave2024-08-25 15:44

    That's quite interesting.

  135. #135hvy 1ton2024-08-25 20:56

    German Schürfraupe or scrapedozer

  136. #136OzDozer2024-08-29 10:44

    The yellow tractor scooping up dirt in the field could also be a Nissha-Menck Scrapedozer, made in Japan under licence to the German designer, Menck. The initial idea was produced under the Nazis before and during WW2 by a German gent named Hugo Cordes. Then two German gents named Menck and Hambrock in Hamburg collaborated to produce an improved version of the Scrapedozer during 1943. In some recent period of time (date unknown to me), the Swiss company Frutiger took over the rights to the design, and they are now sold as Frutiger Scrape Dozers. Frutiger Scrapedozer - ideal machine for earth moving Earth movement with scraperdozer. The scrapedozer is the optimal machine for earth movements on transport distances between 50 and 500m. www.scrapedozer.com German Inspired Scrapedozers at work in Japan www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk

  137. #137Welder Dave2024-08-29 15:37

    If they're run like in the video in the 2nd link, the undercarriage shops will be seeing $$$$$$$! They're like a mini scraper on tracks. Carry dozer would suit them better than a D11.

  138. #138OzDozer2024-08-29 20:14

    They were designed to operate in slushy, swampy conditions, where there's satisfactory firm footing, up to say, a metre deep. In those conditions, wheeled equipment struggles.