Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you guys think

PSDF350 ยท 2008-08-07 14:01

of the Kenworth c500 trucks? Heres a link to one I was thinking of going to look at. http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1613922&guid=217b62ded5bb4f598535b73c11c62d33

Replies14
  1. #1curly2008-08-07 14:31

    I haven't met a KW I didn't like(well ok the T2 is a pile of garbage), but I have no familiarity with that model.

  2. #2PSDF3502008-08-07 15:26

    Thanks curly!!

  3. #3Sharky2008-08-08 00:27

    C 500's are excellent trucks. Have driven several over the years. They are stout and can take some abuse. Here are a few pics of some I drove for years. Load em up! Depending on the price, It looks like a decent rig.

  4. #4PSDF3502008-08-08 10:11

    Thanks Sharky!! Nice pics thanks! They are asking $45,000, it has a new front axle, sander and body were put on new in 2001, the truck has 292,000 miles but motor was completly replaced by cat at 100,000 miles (dropped piston or something) Brakes have also been done, and dot inspected. Here's another I like (don't know why) maybe the price or maybe becuase it reminds me of a duck billed platapus.

  5. #5dumptrucker2008-08-10 08:00

    Seems like a good buy, maybe a little high on price,try to negotiate. Nice thing is you can either sell the winter equip. to recoup some of your money or you can contract out to the state dot. I believe NH still hires private contractors to plow roads. They stopped doing that here in vt about 15 years ago. good luck.

  6. #6PSDF3502008-08-10 08:16

    Thanks Dumptrucker!! No worries on the negotiations. I don't buy anything like that without them. And yes NH does still do some hiring. But not sure what i'm doing yet, waiting on a couple ducks to line up.

  7. #7Sharky2008-08-10 13:54

    Here is an older one we had, attached to a 120t peerless. 400 Cummins with a 5X4, #65000 rears. As mentioned, the price does seem a bit high, but not out of the question depending on the condition. NH salt is tough on things. I grew up some in Groveton, and with the economy the way it is, you should be able to get it cheaper than the asking price.

  8. #8PSDF3502008-08-10 17:09

    Thanks Sharky!! That looks like a beast. So what do you think is a good price?

  9. #9euclid2008-08-11 08:36

    Looks like a nice unit since it is also DOT inspected which is a tough point to bargain with since they have done the work and it isn't something you found on the inspection after the fact....But being is the economy is sluggish I'd ask 10K below and then work from there. I am against insulting a fella but it is a private sale and you know going a dealer on trade in would be much less than his asking price... So I look at it both ways in other words a good price yet firm negotiations. Best of luck on the deal.

  10. #10PSDF3502008-08-11 09:50

    Thanks euclid!! Just an fyi though, it is a dealer that is selling it.

  11. #11Paystar2008-08-11 21:56

    Drove an early 80's model. Heavy spec tandem dump with Cat power. Very good tough truck and I like the looks. Solid cabs, can take lots of abuse and no squeaks or rattles. I priced a new one (2008) last winter, for a tri-axle dump application. Here's some fun facts for you (in Canadian dollars.) It was with a C15 475 Cat, 18 speed, 20 and 46 axles and long enough for a 20.5 foot box. It had Diamond interior with leather and full guage package. The C500 was over $20,000.00 more than an identical spec T800. The salesman said this is due to no discounts or incentives on the C5, as it is a custom built specialty truck, so if you want one you have to pay. It was $144,000.00 for a cab and chassis. Add $3000.00 for extended day cab, or $9000.00 for 38 inch aero cab bunk. Real nice truck though, especially now that you can't get a T800 with the high hood any more.

  12. #12PSDF3502008-08-11 22:23

    Thanks Paystar!! Why are they a specialty truck?

  13. #13Paystar2008-08-11 22:33

    Well, I guess the best way to explain it is they are a servere service custom built truck. With so many configurations and custom specs for things like oilfield and jungle work, they're not mass produced off the line, so they don't offer all the special sales incentives to get you to buy them, as their core buyers are the guys that are custom ordering a unit for an intended purpose. Like the salesman told me, you could get a T800 that is capable to handle far more than it will ever see in on road duty, so there is no point in buying a new C500 unless you are into some extreme hauling. It's kinda like buying a Cadilac to go to the corner store when a Kia will get you there cheaper.

  14. #14PSDF3502008-08-11 22:48

    Thanks that makes sense.