Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you think?

ddigger ยท 2014-08-10 12:13

I am looking at a machine that is coming up for sale, it is a 2005 John Deere 330lc with 5910.4 hrs on it verified. Very clean machine with coupler/thumb and matching bucket/aux hyds. Through a little detective work I was able to track down the last 2 owners both local and very good outfits with good service programs. My biggest concern is while I was inspecting the unit there is a oil warning light on the dash that will come on every once in a while with no rhyme or reason as to what function or engine speed of the machine. I suspect a bad sending unit. Also just above it and just below the fuel warning light it looks like someone has placed a piece of tape over a light, anyone know what that would be? I spoke to the last owner and he was unaware of the issue which doesn't surprise me as its a fairly large company. He did say its a good machine and they are only selling it because they simply never use it. So what do you think take a chance on it? Instead of shopping for new I have decided to go this route, Hell I just turned 60 and thought I am not going to spend 300 grand, just so I can work another 5 or so yrs. My 95 Cat 330l is still going strong with 25000 hrs on it. I figure I can squeeze a few more yrs out of a good used unit. As far as all the emissions crap in this state, they keep pushing back all the deadlines so I will just run it till they say I cant!

Replies16
  1. #1Colorado Digger2014-08-10 14:19

    Doesn't look bad at all. Did you ask the guy's at the sale site what they think it is going to bring? They will have, or know about the past history as well. Are you sure you want the coupler? I don't know about the warning lights and such but electrical demons can be a real cause for some mental anguish. All the Hoes went fairly cheap at the Denver sale, so if that means anything... I would think about waiting until late fall/ winter. You know your machine will make it, so take your time. It's not like your 330 is down and you have to buy something. CD

  2. #2clintm2014-08-10 14:19

    why don't try to find another cat like you have in my experience once you figure out the in's and out's,twerk's and perk's of each model of machine it's easier and cheaper to run and own them you normally have a good idea what's wrong with it almost before it happens as long as you have been running yours you know that model better than any body. if you look around could probley find another one with lower HRS than yours and then you could all ways use yours for parts if you don't find one with a thumb and aux hyd you could always transfer yours over if you do happen to find one in my part of the world I would be glad to take a look at it for you there is a couple of good contractors still running 330b's in my area

  3. #3clintm2014-08-10 14:30

    check with your local air quality agency I know that in some areas they will give you a grant to junk your machine and buy a new low emissions machine as long as you put enough hrs per year on it in certain bad air quality locations some areas are up to 50% cost of the new machine but you have to run it for so many years about 5yrs. something you have to think about the new ones burn a lot less fuel per HR so that plays into your bottom line @ the end of the year

  4. #4ddigger2014-08-10 21:19

    Thanks guys all something to think about. My last excavator before the cat was a JD 792 that had every bit as many hrs when I replaced it with the CAT, so I am comfortable with a brand change and product support. And yes I do qualify for a grant from air quality but my outlay for a new machine would still be around 150k with a 3 yr commitment. At my age that's still hard to justify. It would be different if I could charge more for a new machine but the rate does not change. For those that don't know, for at least the last 20yrs nearly every single hr I work is by the hr, and I am always busy, I have been truly blessed to have the customer base that I have. And again thank you for you thoughts.

  5. #5clintm2014-08-10 23:25

    just thinking here can you sell it after three years if so it should still be worth about 125-170 just thinking. I often wonder about your setup customer wise and payment wise. sometimes I envy your setup no employees =no headaches just you and your hoe I don't know of any one just running a one man show with a 330 size machine in my area theres a lot with dump truck and skid steer or mini excavator,rubber tire backhoe . there is one guy with a 670 jd grader that sets up a lot of stone for a few of the mid size paving contractors.I don't think the greedy contractors could see the benefit of a guy like you with the experience and efficiency that somebody like you bring's to the job site . I have heard that some federally funded job's won't allow you to run older equipment and California won't let trucks in unless they are certified clean have you run into that we hear every thing over here on the east coast about California rules and reg's but don't know what's the truth and what's B.S.

  6. #6ddigger2014-08-11 20:14

    clintm, yes I gave some thought to the value a new one would still have when I do finely pull the plug, and I still have a hard time justifying it. Plus I`m not sure I wouldn't like to keep it around for a pet or to cherry pick the occasional job or two. That would be hard do to with a high doller tractor. Its funny what you say about the one man show with the 330 size machine, around here its not that uncommon although in 89 when I started there was only 1 other guy and he did not have a thumb. I think part of the reason there are more here is I made it look pretty easy and many thought if he can do it so can I, most of those guys didn't last. I do have 3 close friends and 2 frenemies that have the same size hoes as mine and we do trade work back and forth trying to take care of all the contractors we serve. I`m union and work for many of the bigger outfits in the area Granite, Kewitt, De Silva Gates, to name a few. Although my bread and butter is a small Land Clearing Contractor I have been working for since I went on my own. The company sold about 8 yrs ago and the new owner liked how it all worked so much he never changed a thing. He says when I retire he`s going to sell out. Last yr I only worked for 3 different contactors. This yr so far only one. My main guy pays like clock work every 30 days. In fact I`m so spoiled they even call the lowbed and the bills go straight to them. As far as the emissions stuff its not as bad as you hear, its all based on HP of your fleet and being a 1 man show with one piece, I fly pretty much under the radar. Were in the middle of several levee projects and a ton of highway work and its never mentioned. I just make sure I stay current on all the registrations and stickers they want you to display on your iron. I have done the employee and several machine thing and I enjoy this a whole lot more. Take good care and I hope everybodys work load just keeps growing.

  7. #7clintm2014-08-11 20:55

    thank's that the way these boy's work with dump truck's they buy one do ok for about three months think hey this is easy i'll get three more and make four times the money and just ride around in the pickup and pick up check's 8-12 months the repo man looking for them then here comes another genius and does it all over again but nobody here will work together and they just keep cutting each other's throat until there all broke. i've seen these idiot's deliver a load for one of there (friends) that couldn't get to one of his regular customers as soon as he dump's out he's trying to get the customer for himself

  8. #8CM19952014-08-11 21:00

    I have been intrigued by your working situation as well Ddigger, as it's not common in my area either. You seem to have hit the sweet spot in the O&O realm.

  9. #9JGibson2014-08-11 23:02

    If your only planning to be in a few more years. And obviously something is right with your 330, have you considered a cat certified rebuild?

  10. #10ddigger2014-08-12 09:11

    No, that is not something I am interested in.

  11. #11cutting edge2014-08-13 09:39

    Ill assume from the picture of the monitor, that this is a 330 clc, not LC. There is an active engine code if the exclamation mark is lit up. 9 times out of 10 on the 8.1 liter engines it has to do with the connectors on the injection pump. clean them well, you may even see some black corrosion on the pins of the solenoid..clean them. These engines are also prone to debris getting caught in the check valves on the low pressure fuel side, but this usually leads to stalling or hard/no start. PM me for any more info.

  12. #12Deeretracks2014-08-13 11:14

    There is a battery light under the tape on the monitor. If that is the way the PO fixed problems with the machine I would be leery about the rest of it too.

  13. #13ddigger2014-08-13 21:51

    Thank you for your replies, I had the local JD dealer check out the machine yesterday, showed no codes and was told in short it was a very solid unit. Sale is in the morning. We shall see.

  14. #14old-iron-habit2014-08-13 22:37

    Good luck, May things go your way.

  15. #15ddigger2014-08-16 10:04

    Thank you. I went to the sale, the machine went for more than the value I was willing to pay. It was like a feeding frenzy of hungry sharks the entire bidding process took less than about 30 seconds from opening bid of 30k to selling price of 90k I was out at 65k where I had set my limit on this one. Oh well next time, I am not in a big hurry. Thanks for all of your replies!

  16. #16CM19952014-08-16 18:19

    Auctions are bringing crazy money for used iron.:dizzy