Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you think about the Korean Excavators

CAT D8 N ยท 2010-10-03 09:35

Hi all, I will be buying an Excavator soon and was considering a CAT320, but for financial concerns have ruled it out. I have been seeing many of Doosan, Daewoo, and Hyundai Excv. around and doing a grate job. I am thinking its better to buy a brand new one "Korean" that will work with no major problems for a couple of years, instead of buying a pig in a bag CAT at the same price. So what do you guys think??

Replies22
  1. #1joispoi2010-10-03 11:52

    "Pig in a bag"?.......

  2. #2Dozerboy2010-10-03 15:14

    I think Doosan, Daewoo, and Hyundai are all crap. And don't go thinking you won't have any major problems for a couple of years. You just won't have to pay for the repairs only the down time. Not that the samething can't happen to Cat ETC but they are better machines.

  3. #3CAT D8 N2010-10-03 15:25

    Its an expresion that my OZ mate keeps using when we consider buying a machine that we did not do any inspection on, so it could be good or bad or God knows what... so its a pig in a bag..

  4. #4CAT D8 N2010-10-03 15:44

    Point well taken, but on the other hand the cost totally out weights the benefit when you buy a second hand CAT it could have down time and expenses than you could imagine and you could end up with a half witted machine. I had that happen to me when I went buying two CAT loaders that cost me double what they did to buy on repair expenses and ended up with two loaders that cant do the job of one put together. What I ma trying to say here is that in my opinion I would be better off to have a new machine for the same price of a second hand CAT that would be doing a good job with at lease a one year guarantee on it which means no major fixing expenses and if there is any down time I just get my operator to run a different machine tell its back and running.

  5. #5dayexco2010-10-03 16:12

    i've stuck less money in repairs, and had less downtime with my 210 hyundai than a competitor friend of mine with a 320d cat...go figger? we bought them new same year, both have about 4k hours on them now. he paid about 35k more for his cat, we both put approx 7k hrs on them before trading, and his cat won't be worth 35k more than the hyundai at that time. just the interest on the 35k for that period is nice to have in the wallet.

  6. #6buckfever2010-10-03 18:11

    parts avalibility would be my only consern. if you can get parts easly for a korean model go for it but a cheap new machine that sits for two weeks waiting for parts is no good in my opion.

  7. #7stock2010-10-03 18:33

    Volvo is also a Korean machine,both Doosan and Hyundai are using component parts from European and Japanese manufacturers.do believe that doosan use cummins engines. Doosan make everything from ships to cathedral engines, trains and hyundai like wise. I have worked with many of these machines on sites and hand on heart they didn't suffer any more break downs than the so called "good" machines. A lot of the manufactures are buying and making parts in China so,as well as buying in to companies there for manufacturing equipment . http://www.doosan.com/en/main.do

  8. #8bigrus2010-10-04 04:43

    More than one good manufacturer of equipment The name brand American machine is not straights ahead of its oppossition that it once was. There's plenty of good equipment in the marketplace now & some real good deals if you push the sales rep's too. Remember that someone has to pay for all extra the "fat". Good luck with your search & project

  9. #9watglen2010-10-04 07:42

    Hey! I know this one. "Pig in a bag", originally "pig in a poke" refers to the old english method of buying meat. At the time you would go to the market and buy meat in a bag, site unseen. However, there was a feral cat problem in London at the time. When you got your pork home, you learned you had a cat instead. Just like buying used equipment.

  10. #10CAT D8 N2010-10-04 07:50

    Now that's what I wanted to hear... Thanks :thumbsup Yup they are available, thanks That's to tell ya... I'm almost converted... Thanks mate :thumbsup

  11. #11CAT D8 N2010-10-04 16:05

    Thanks for that English lecture mate Well ironically all our pigs in a bag ended up being CAT's loool

  12. #12stock2010-10-04 16:15

    "so you let the cat out of the bag" or let the cat out, or put the cat among the pigeons are all derived from this practice of selling cats as piglets....................

  13. #13Dozerboy2010-10-04 19:50

    We had a brand new 385 Cat cost us big time in down time on a job too. It has just been my experience that on low hr Doosans and Daewoos we have had several issues some took quite some time to correct. I guess it comes down to what has worked for you in the past and dealer service. Not many guys run Cats here because the dear isn't any good. I don't think I have ever ran a Hyundai that the hyd did seem out of whack on and many people around here agree with me.

  14. #14watglen2010-10-04 20:03

    I know older hyundais were a little behind on the hydraulics, weak and slow. I got that from the dealer. I thought the newest series were caught up to current designs though.

  15. #15dayexco2010-10-04 20:55

    i'm curious...how many different hyundais have you operated? and seat time in each one? i can say that the hyd seemed outta whack on my dad's hopto 300 also. and many people here would "probably" agree with me. my hyundai runs...5.9 cummins, "not a fuel squeezer, that's for sure"....and a kawasaki pump. not sure who makes the valving/computer components..but, it performs not a bit different than my 210 case, the 690 deere i had, the 200 hitachi i had, the 6620 koehring i had, the drott 50 i had, the FE20 fiat allis i had, the rh 150 ruston bucyrus i had.............

  16. #16stumpjumper832010-10-04 21:45

    daewoo / doosan vs. cat is just a different shade to the ford / caddy game. I evaluate the quality of the machine, availability & cost of parts, and quality of the dealer before I purchase equipment. Dealers are a big factor in what equipment I purchase. For instance my local Kubota dealer is a snowmobile dealer first and foremost, and he thinks very highly of his time, and he thinks that he is doing me a favor by accepting my trade.... So my excavator is a takeuchi...

  17. #17CAT D8 N2010-10-05 11:26

    Well has says it all I'm going for a new Korean Exc. Thanks every one.

  18. #18joispoi2010-10-05 13:55

    Thanks for that. I'd never heard the expression "pig in a bag" as reference to a cat. The other term for cat that I didn't understand at first is "beef with broccoli". :beatsme

  19. #19jcbmanuk2010-10-05 15:21

    i personally found the hyundai ok to operate, i hated the daewoo! constant screaming from the hydraulics ! but thats my view

  20. #20buckfever2010-10-05 19:50

    now this is completly second hand but a guy i know bought two doosan excavators and hates them with a passion. says they are put together poorly and they don't hold up to heavy work. I have never operated one and their starting to sell in my area. anyone ever hear anything like this?

  21. #21Dozerboy2010-10-05 20:26

    I have ran quite a few 15-20 maybe from 500s down to 210s. I can't even begin to guess on seat time for each individual machine. Its not normally more then a few days before I done with a project or am needed else ware. Now that jcbmanuk brings it up I don't notice it as much on the newer ones that I can think of. I think there newest ones are signified by a -9 and the previous was -7. We have noticed on -7s. A 250-7IIRC that the last place I work owned was horrible. I had to change up the way I load ADTs because I kept grazing the side "boards". I'm not a guy to complain about equipment that is difficult to run but the hoe was very aggravating for me to run. I have ran several 360s that don't start worth a crap when it gets even a little cold.

  22. #22Iron Horse2010-10-17 20:32

    Mine is Chinese , the fit and finish on the cabin is typical Chinese but the rest of the machine is good . Parts are not a problem , most of the clones have American Cummins engines , Jap Kawasaki pumps , Toshiba swing motors and HyDash final drives . Hoses , undercarriage , pins/bushes , slew gear etc can all be sourced locally so don't be put off by parts availability . Be warned tho , resale value is way down on generic machines but if you get 7000 hours out of it and sell it to a farmer for $30K you wont have lost anything . The depreciation you will claim against your tax and the money it will earn you makes up the difference .