Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What do you think happen here?

Canadian_digger · 2013-01-29 17:35

This can't be good! What do you guys think would cause this? Machine is 2010 310sj. I just did 2000hrs service and changed the hydraulic oil and filter and seen this when I took the filter off. I bought the machine used with 1500hrs. So I don't know it's past history.

Replies17
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-01-29 19:31

    Have you cut the outer shell of it yet?. Could be the wrong oil, out side temp/bypass, vent not working, just a few thoughts.

  2. #2willie592013-01-29 20:40

    Definitely looks like filter restriction. Think I'd do as sheepfoot suggested and cut it open. Also, change the filter more often, maybe 100 - 200 hrs and see how it's doing. If you get brass filings out of the filter might have pump going down.

  3. #3excavator2013-01-29 21:02

    I changed the hyd. filter on a Deere 624H that was collapsed like this. My thought was that there had been a hydraulic spike that the relief couldn't handle. Caused maybe by the bucket hitting something while moving or something falling on it while suspended?

  4. #4Canadian_digger2013-01-29 21:44

    I will cut it open tomorrow. Should I take the new one off to check it? I probably put around 20-30hrs on it since I changed it.

  5. #5bill onthehill2013-01-29 22:00

    Probably would not hurt. I wonder if it could have been air bound? Maybe whoever changed it did not fill it with oil before installing it.

  6. #6Canadian_digger2013-01-30 16:41

    Cut the filter apart today. Didn't find much, little bit of black dirt that looked like rubber but would fall apart when you touch it. No metal at all.

  7. #7Delmer2013-01-30 18:15

    If there wasn't anything unusual in the filter, I'd wait a couple hundred hours to check the new one. And then just to be sure it hasn't collapsed. Where is the filter in the system, suction or return? I always thought return filters are vulnerable to collapsing if enough air gets into the system and a cylinder is turned into an accumulator, when the valve goes the other direction, that fluid has air pressure behind it.

  8. #8bowen2013-01-30 20:53

    What brand is the filter? I wonder if it's the correct one.

  9. #9cutting edge2013-01-31 00:33

    I've seen this a few times with tranny and hydraulic filters....cause was always not warming up the oil slowly on cold days.

  10. #10robin yates uk2013-01-31 00:35

    the same thought came to me as well,,,using incorrect filters results in stuff like this

  11. #11cutting edge2013-01-31 00:43

    Its the correct filter.

  12. #12Canadian_digger2013-01-31 17:23

    It is the correct filter. It is a John Deere filter with the right part number.

  13. #13fpgm042013-01-31 22:26

    Just looking at the JD Technical Manual for the 310SJ, it says... “As the hydraulic oil filter element starts to plug or when the oil is cold, pressure at the filter inlet increases. When the filter becomes restricted to the point where pressure at the filter inlets increases enough to overcome outlet pressure plus a set spring force, the hydraulic oil filter bypass valve opens allowing unfiltered oil to flow to the reservoir. Based on that, perhaps you have/had a sticky bypass valve. If aggravated with cold oil and/or running the engine too fast with cold oil, it would seem to me you might have overwhelmed the ability of the filter and damage it. Are there any fault codes in the instrument cluster to indicate the vehicle had hydraulic filter restrictions in the past? Has the vehicle been running in cold conditions, particularly at high RPMs before the oil is warmed up?

  14. #14bowen2013-02-01 05:53

    This is kinda interesting and if real cold temps is the problem I wonder if this is only a JD issue. Has anyone seen a Case do this? If you was just doing normal mainenance you may have no idea when it happened. Way there any strange symptoms before the filter change or did the new filter help anything? I have been told to crank a cold machine and let everything warm up before using it. Is this issuue related? And is the hydraulic pressure or flow thru the filter increased significantly when actually working the boom vs. letting the machine idle at 1000 rpm? When it's cold I keep my boom up and lower it as I am starting it. Could this be bad? It does relieve the load on the hyd pump so it's easier to turn over.

  15. #15DGODGR2013-02-01 22:13

    I would think that lowering the boom will load the pump...not unload it. Obviously gravity is helping but you are still asking the pump to pump oil to the back side of the lift cylinders. This puts a load on the engine. To the OP's issue. I have a Deere 544J. I have noticed that on really cold days, even after extended warm up, that I can get the hydraulic oil filter restriction light to come on. When I saw this thread I immediately thought of that and I bet this is what happened to your machine. I wonder if my filter has imploded like the one pictured. If I was you, I would check the new one too. I bet that the temps are still pretty cold where you are. For some reason my Deere is the coldest blooded machine that I have ever owned (despite the lies that the Deere salesman told me). If the filter has not torn I would think that it still does the job. I would certainly sleep better if I replaced it. If the new one looks the same I would look into different oil (lighter weight) for the winter months.

  16. #16Bob/Ont2013-02-01 22:36

    I think it's a filter issue caused by the enviornment of the filter. Warm up time on very cold days down around the old Zero might help. This is the result of the Correct answer to every question as my high school auto teacher would say. "Difference in pressure". Filter microns are getting tighter every year so you need to warm up your oil at low throttle, low pump flow low pressure diff across filter and it should help. Later Bob

  17. #17bowen2013-02-04 06:23

    I don't know exactly what the pressures are doing, but the engine sure turns over faster on cold days as the bucket is dropped on a 580SE.