Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What does Cat call a cam follower?

Vetech63 ยท 2018-02-03 13:06

A follower? a lifter? a tappet? Cause my parts guy at Cat had no idea what the hell I was talking about. I said look on the valvetrain page, its the part between the pushrod and the camshaft. He said "are you talking about that barrel looking thing?" LOL.....I kid you NOT!

Replies7
  1. #1AllDodge2018-02-03 13:39

    That would be something to hear, wow I have always called them lifters (solid or hydraulic) but understand when someone mentions tappet.

  2. #256wrench2018-02-03 13:41

    How did this guy get qualified as a partsman? Don't know about newer engines, but a couple of my old Cat parts books from the 50's and 60's called them lifters. Maybe on overhead cam engines they are called something else.

  3. #3kshansen2018-02-03 14:32

    OK you made me look! Looked in parts for a 980K, the newest machine we had at the quarry when I retired, C13 engine: The winner is "Lifter" . but like AllDodge says I would have no problem with any of those terms. I'm sure there may even be a few others that I can recall of the top of my head! I can under stand the term valve lifters for when most engine were valve in block as the part in question "lifted" the valves. So when we went to valves in the head shouldn't the term be changed to "valve lowerers"? Then what about the horizontally opposed engines, call them "Valve pusher sidewaysers"? OK, enough dumb thoughts for today!

  4. #4Ronsii2018-02-03 16:52

    Ah.... come on.... we both know they should be called 'Greenhouse gas release devices'

  5. #5Junkyard2018-02-03 18:55

    I betcha I know which one it was at Warren....first feller you see when you come in the front door....? I can't imagine the older guys doing something like that. This on the sick 3306?

  6. #6Vetech632018-02-03 20:22

    Yep, I still can't hardly believe it. I don't expect a parts guy to know everything, but that is pretty basic knowledge.

  7. #7Junkyard2018-02-03 20:50

    I would sure expect them to know that....he was transferred from another dept at Warren, I don't recall which. Maybe rental? Oh well. When Kim leaves that's gonna hurt. I like Dennis as well.