Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What does everyone think of women getting into wrenching on heavy equipment?

Vetech63 · 2018-03-06 07:53

It has to be coming soon......right? I saw a gal driving a forklift company service truck yesterday . Hell, I couldn't believe how attractive she was too! I asked my wife last night what she thought about it. First dam thing she asked was "What did she look like?" ...........I lied. I'm all for it!

Replies68
  1. #1kshansen2018-03-06 08:31

    I'm all for anyone who can do the job to get into the business. That goes for any job out there. I think it is wrong to over look any source of talent based on some old ideas.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-03-06 10:07

    I knew a girl that did fuel injection.. she was GOOD.. dam GOOD.. I was teaching a girl to do it once.. but we ended up between the sheets & THAT was the end of that.. Lol The girl I knew that did it for a living was good, but I just couldn't take her seriously for some reason..?? We didn't work together long, maybe a week, as she moved on.. maybe I just didn't get to know her??

  3. #392U 34062018-03-06 11:10

    I love seeing women in the trades. Nothing hotter than a good looking gal who isn't afraid of getting dirty.

  4. #4Trashman2018-03-06 11:22

    Its beyond time for them to enter the work force... I am for anything that will make it easier to find a good mechanic.

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-03-06 14:33
  6. #6Junkyard2018-03-06 14:53

    I'm scared she would be smarter than me! Now that I think about it that's not saying much..... I'm all for it. I would think they'd have to be pretty thick skinned to work some places. They'll have to fight off dang near every swinging d**k on the job.....

  7. #7Graham12018-03-06 16:10

    Why not? But they will have to be very determined to overcome the prejudice they will get. There is a girl, Amie, her in UK who operates a duck better than any guy I’ve seen. She puts up YouTube videos as Duck girl. This one she is grading out stone on a new road backing up round a corner as she goes, then as she slews round you realise she still has the trailer attached, incredible skill. Graham

  8. #8thepumpguysc2018-03-06 16:32

    Depending on the situation.. Something that I cant stand is> weather its a guy OR a girl is> someone getting paid to do a job & constantly asking for help.. can you lift this, can you start this bolt, can you break this loose??? My standard answer for THAT TYPE was> yes I can.. Why cant YOU?? you get paid money just like me.. Now naturally.. if there was a "trick to it", I would show them..

  9. #992U 34062018-03-06 21:08

    That is exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't figure out how to without sounding sexist lol.

  10. #10Junkyard2018-03-06 21:16

    Be careful...feminists are hiding everywhere So much has changed the last couple years I'd be scared my friendly banter would be mistaken for unwanted advances and I'd be another casualty of the #metoo movement!!

  11. #11Jumbo2018-03-06 22:29

    As a retired electrician, my philosophy was: If you can screw pipe together and pull wire with the rest of ‘em, you can stay, if not, down the road. I have sent more men down the road percentage wise than females. What screwed us in the beginning was we fought minorities and females in the trade. (Before my time just barely.) If we would have accepted them to begin with, we would not have had court ordered quotas where every drone came into the trade to meet quotas. We could have had the choice of the best, but we fought it. It was bad planning back in the ‘60s. My only run in I had with a female was when one of my foremen stormed into my office threw her hard hat at me, hit me with it and told me either her check or “that worthless azzhole’s check, I don’t care which, but one of us will be gone in 30 minutes." I had HIS check in 15 minutes. She ran my big pipe crew. Over the course of a three day weekend, her crew put in 1500’ of 4” and 3000 feet of 3” all prefabbed and ready to screw together. She was not only dynamite to work with, but cute too. My wife really likes her.

  12. #12Bumpsteer2018-03-06 23:52

    Being in the design business for over 35 years, I've dealt with male & female engineers, sales, parts, tech support, etc. from various countries across the globe. Honestly, I don't care it I get a little green man from mars to deal with, as long as they are qualified and do their job. Ed

  13. #13kshansen2018-03-07 08:16

    Very well said Jumbo! I often wonder what talent is out there just being wasted because someone doesn't get the opportunity to show what they can do! There are lazy worthless people in any group you want to put together. Many years back my brother was in a government program where he had the opportunity work along side a group of immigrant migrant farm workers, a group that is much maligned by some here in the USA these days, he says any one that calls them lazy should try living their life for a week! And anyone who is upset saying they are "stealing our jobs" is free to sign up the next harvest season in the area!

  14. #14DMiller2018-03-07 10:41

    Have met gals driving truck(do well), operating HE(do well) but in mechanic on HE I was NOT impressed years ago by those looking for the wages but not the effort to make them. Wanted cranes, lifts, special tooling that NONE of us had. Had little ability for heavy work like 'Manhandling' Cummins Heads off a block, setting a cam gear with welding gloves fresh out of the oven by hand, grabbing a rod/piston/split collar ring compressor to set a cylinder group by hand, driving a Sunnen hone off a heavy electric two handed drill to fit/set DD sleeves. Fought with the same in power plant, not enough weight to swing a 24", 36" or larger valve manual handwheel against system pressure but plenty azz to whine when 'Men' would not automatically come to their aid as we were all busy with our own work. Some manage well, most that want equality don't see their frailty until they cannot do the physical side work then whine 'Unfair'. Some things are just best left to guys while some women can do better, cannot just call as to all available.

  15. #15DMiller2018-03-07 10:54

    What scared me in the businesses and public was when Women wanted the exhilarating work AND pay as fireman. We had guys dressed out in bunker gear handling 2 1/2" lines by themselves, same guys broke 250-280lbs NO GEAR ON so if went down IN a fire scene took at least another of that size to get them out, the women and girls were always mad the rescue dummies were so 'Artificially heavy' and when told to pick a guy to save would arbitrarily try to pick the smallest guy, even those at 180lbs were immobile objects when they tried. Became a requirement as to life and fire scene safety they had to be able to pull a body out at least that size, 180-250lbs.

  16. #16wornout wrench2018-03-07 15:48

    We have a young lady working in our shop. She is awesome. Tough as nails. Yes, sometimes she needs help with something heavy, but then, so do I. I don't think of her as a woman. I think of her as one of the crew. She has never pulled the woman card. Never claimed to have woman problems (if you know what I mean) She goes to work and she does her job. Her attitude and work ethic are one of the best on the crew. Conversations in the coffee room might not be the same as they would be if it was just an all male crew, but that is fine. We can pretty much say anything as long as the "C" word is not used. Once again, that is fine. Sometimes a little manners even at work is a good thing. She got us one time. We were comparing welding burns. I can't remember the whole conversation, but when she got to the part about the piece of slag caught in her bra and, in her words, sizzling between her tits, the crew lost it. She is a great kid, it would not bother me to have more like her working there at all.

  17. #17DMiller2018-03-07 16:02

    Never said none were good, just all too many want the money and are not that handy. You got one in a hundred on the crew there.

  18. #18wornout wrench2018-03-07 20:11

    You got that right. And we know it.

  19. #19old-iron-habit2018-03-07 21:45

    I had a 40ish year old minority women working for me on some hospital jobs in California in the mid 1980s. She had been a special events coordinator for a company that sent her all over the world setting up high profile big name events. Made a ton of money in her words and "got" to meet a couple hundred self centered a**holes. In her heart she always wanted to be a carpenter so she left the glamor world and become a carpenter apprentice. She was one of the best, hardest working, willing to learn apprentice that I have ever had on any project. I almost cried when she become a journeyman and left me to be a supervisor on her own projects. And then I had some that wanted a pay check and some one else to do the work. I don't care what sex, color, or race the help is as long as they have a desire to do the job right and show up with some ambition, be sober, awake, and drug free.

  20. #20Hobbytime2018-03-07 22:22

    if they can do the job without special treatment then no issue, but when they get a job and same pay as a male and get special privileges or dont have to do some of the dirty work then no...

  21. #21willie592018-03-07 22:35

    Just my opinion, but I don't think it's unusual that more women aren't "into wrenching", but not because they aren't mentally or physically capable, but rather it's not something they naturally gravitate to. With that said, there are most certainly exceptions. The local Bobcat dealer here has a women who works the parts counter. Bar none, she's one of the best parts people I have ever worked with. Loud mouthed, will bust your chops in a New York second, has a helluva sense of humor, a few swear words here and there when the computer isn't cooperating, will banter with you like a bar buddy, and the best part, she's damn good with the parts program, I wish there was more like her, I don't care if they're male of female, she's just damn good.

  22. #22td25c2018-03-07 22:36

    Like I say to the wife ......... " You galls got liberated back in the early 70's " ... " Why are you calling me on the cell phone in 2018 complaining about a mechanical problem on a vehicle " ? LOL ! That's part of life .

  23. #2392U 34062018-03-09 19:36

    I've only worked with 2 women in my time. Both were mechanics. One was a Journeyperson and she was top notch. Not afraid to dig in and do the job. The other was a 2nd year apprentice and I watched her struggle for 30 minutes trying to tighten a hose clamp. Each year of the apprenticeship is 1500 hours on the job work. If someone can't figure out how to tighten a hose clamp after that much time on the job, it might be time to think about a change of career IMO.

  24. #24RayF2018-03-09 19:55

    I have seen male apprentices that were more useless than that

  25. #25thepumpguysc2018-03-09 20:30

    amen to that, Ray..

  26. #26DMiller2018-03-10 07:18

    ANY one that is useless in a field needs to stay the hell out, they see the money only as a draw while NOT physically able or dependent on support or unable or unwilling to purchase tooling required should just walk away. Knew all too many working from a old tin no name tool box with tools scattered under oddball names where the sockets and wrenches were only dependable on rounding shoulders of fasteners or when offered schooling to advance a career would decline as could not afford to miss a days work or pay for the training. They were trying but could not understand they had to spend a little green to make better green. Had to fire a good many of these who would half twist a wire on electrical and wrap in tape considering it a 'Good Repair' when we had connectors and heat shrink they would not conceive of using as "Too Expensive". Trying to 'Save' hydraulic lines by wrapping with hose then welding or general purpose wire rather than make a hose up trying "to save the customer some cash" but actually costing them twice. Hack and patch mechanic to get it off the field floor and into a good shop or nearer to a repairable position is one thing but being IN the shop and doing hack and patch is not regarded as a good mechanic. Worst case to fire, boss hired a guy off word of mouth from another friend that the guy just needed a break. Needed money to buy better tools and could or would be a good man, supposedly a journeyman. Boss thought I was being cruel. Long term Customer had three OLD framed dump trailers all manner of hack and patch needing lights fixed to get out of DOT sights. The guy installed the lights well that needed change, had to stop him when did do the half twist crappy wire connections then walked out to inspect the first one. He could not find the wire to feed the side lights(inside a tube) so 'ran a new wire' and spliced it in but UNDER the frame. Asked if he thought was good, he said yes so I raised the bed. He had NO IDEA was a dump trailer, had not seen one do that(28 years old). With that the wire pulled away, I showed him the conduit and returned to my work to let him fix it correctly. Went back out, he never opened a conduit box weaved the New Wire around the tube and spliced it outside the conduit. Had to stop him again, took a screwdriver from my pocket and opened the first box, there was the wire, all he would say was "how'd you know that was in there?" explained the way were to be paid, .3/hr per lamp, any rewire was time and materials but NOT if the wire was still viable as we could not charge for that, he wanted to argue the wire was no good as it was not passing power, I repeated to open another box that had two broken connections within, he only argued the wire Had to be Bad as turned the connectors green. Walked him to the office, clocked him out and sent him home. Took me a little over an hour to remove the wiring he had placed, fix the bad connections and make certain ALL the lights worked. He had spent over five hours in replacing two lamps, three bulbs and running wire not needed. Boss hired him back next day where he was put on one of the other trucks, had the hydraulic line rubbed and seeping to the mast, he was the one to wrap it in rubber hose then used half a roll of tie wire to lace it on, we were a Weatherhead line making shop, had ALL the hose, dies, crimp sleeves, fittings one could ask for, could have just replaced it in the time he had in it where the boss ended up making the line in twenty minutes handed it to him to replace and he argued his repair would hold, boss fired him on the spot. He sold his tools the next week, went to driving a school bus.

  27. #27thepumpguysc2018-03-10 07:38

    WOW..!!! I love hearing stories like that.. I've got "heavy duty mechanic" friends that LOVE to open up injection pumps to "save" some money.. & when they f-it up, I get the call.. I end up telling them.. "you KNOW a "hammer mechanic" cant fix an inj. pump."..

  28. #28Vetech632018-03-10 08:16

    My service manager 25 years ago hired a supposed heavy equipment mechanic with a ton of experience, by application of course. I was suspicious the first day when all he brought with him his first day was a hand held toolbox. The second day he walked up to me holding a tube of grease in one hand and the grease gun in the other. Looking extremely confused, he asked me holding both up....."how does this work?" Day 3 he was unemployed again.

  29. #29check2018-03-10 08:16

    Some of you guys must be oblivious of the laws that have been put in place. If you are an employer and you fire a White male, there are much less potential consequences of that decision. Any time you fire a woman or minority or decline to hire them, there is the danger of a discrimination lawsuit. If you did nothing wrong, you will most likely settle out of court because it's much cheaper than defending yourself. Then you also have to consider the expense of having men and women working together. I remember when women started working offshore when I was in the oilfield. They had to provide separate living quarters for them. If the women were attractive, there were all sorts of problems with the men. Married men would be assigned to a platform with a woman and the resulting affair ended his marriage. Then he married the woman he was working with. Then she was re-assigned and cheated on him.....on and on like a stupid soap opera. Management could not put all the women on one production platform by themselves because the platform would be dead. They didn't hire the women for their experience or ability, they hired them because they were women. Meanwhile, much more qualified and capable men worked in lesser jobs. Employers should be free to hire and fire as they see fit. You can't mandate value.

  30. #30crane operator2018-03-10 08:21

    My wife answers our phones and does the scheduling. She gets some static from customers who call in and want to "talk to someone who really knows". She knows the questions I'm going to ask, and can get most of the info I need to do a job, or if I need to go look. Some customers just need to talk to a man. Now if I could get her to fix the cranes too, and I could just sit in the cab and pull levers, that would be heaven.... Not really, I need something to do.

  31. #31Vetech632018-03-10 08:22

    again, the same service manager was attempting to hire another heavy equipment mechanic. We had a pretty good looking female come in, walked into his office and asked for an application. She had never worked on heavy equipment, but had some experience with tires, brakes, light mechanical on cars and trucks and her references were good. He could have hired her and EVERYONE in the shop would have been glad to help her on ANY job if she needed. He wouldn't even consider hiring her, and his reason was "Because everyone in here will constantly be helping her whether she needs it or not. She would be too much of a distraction for the entire crew."

  32. #32thepumpguysc2018-03-10 09:19

    Saw a show on tv about "unjustly fired".. Had a SMOKIN' chick on there that was fired from CAT, for that exact same reason.. She musta been a secr. because every time she walked thru the shop, everyone would stop working & stare. I'm sure she got a BIG settlement..

  33. #33check2018-03-10 09:19

    When I was a young mechanic, it really hacked me off that guys employed in stupid jobs like retail got to meet all the babes. I would have liked to work around pretty women and I would have helped them myself. In reality, men and women working jobs together is a complicated and delicate situation, and in many cases expensive for the employer. If women can do the work that men can, why not start a company with nothing but women? A mechanic shop, a plumbing shop a welding shop all women. You know the answer....one chance in a million it would survive without government assistance.

  34. #34DMiller2018-03-10 09:20

    There does come the problem of wandering eyes and hormones, both sides. Anyone we ever hired at the Independent shop HAD to work alone, could get a hand in dire conditions but we were a production rate shop where if you slowed your job to aid another your own income suffered. Had to be tool hod, work appraiser, mechanic foremost and then the janitor to clean your own mess back up. We had assigned bays but if got too many long term care jobs in would alternate the spares for sporadic short jobs and the guy doing the work was expected to clean up the mess after. Would work outdoors year round snow rain or shine, road or service calls were T&M for the most part where we would establish a patch or get a temp repair if had to getting it back to the yard or just tie up the destroyed parts and have dragged in. Only time did not was HE in the field and HAD to make repairs there, even engine overhauls were at times done in the field on the fly, especially ag irrigation pumps or working fleeting tows on the MS River at Alton Pool. Nothing as nasty on God's Green Earth than cleaning Detroit Diesel Centrifugal oil filters, by hand standing on grating a few inches above the bilge waterline. We made quick work of those just to get off the tows. Could not see a woman doing that without chucking her guts. Was the most nasty odors and fixed in place stains I ever dealt with.

  35. #35Welder Dave2018-03-10 12:44

    The thing that really gets me is how some of the people doing the hiring base it strictly on what someone has on their resume without really checking things out. Yeah, a resume can look really impressive but there are so many people that embellish their resume that the bigger question is why are they looking for another job in the first place? I'd much rather do a job test and show them what I can do. Worked in a couple shops that had women welders and they were just as good or better than any of the guys. Talk in the lunch room toned down a lot though. Also worked with a few guys who thought they were just the cat's meow. Didn't take long to see they were all talk and didn't live up to their own hype. I provide tech support in my job for company branches and contact centers where customers call in. It's supposed to be an internal company thing. Yesterday a girl from the contact center called but said the customer wouldn't tell her what he wanted and wanted to speak to tech support. I said ask him what he wants and I can get you the best person to help you. She said all he said is it is something to do with a hole. I said I need more info than that and she said he refused to tell her. I told her if he can't give you some idea what he's looking for I can't help him. I suppose I could have talked to him directly but there's no reason he couldn't have told the girl what he was looking for. Sometimes there is a need to talk directly with a customer but outright refusing to talk someone beforehand is just plain arrogant in my opinion.

  36. #36old-iron-habit2018-03-10 13:54

    Its not only the women. When I was still young, we needed a bigger snatch block for a couple of beam picks on a bridge job. The job supt asks me, "Hagar, what's that pulley we need called"? I replied that's it's called a snatch block. He said, "I ain't going ask that women at the counter for a snatch block". I shrugged. Later after a few beers he told us that he had went into the rental place and told the women behind the desk that he needed one of them big pulleys with a hook on it. She replied, "It's called a snatch block. What size do you need"? We laughed and teased him every time he was headed to the rental store.

  37. #3792U 34062018-03-10 13:57

    I'm definitely a lot more cautious at work when I'm around women these days though vs my younger years. Hardly speak to them or even look at them unless I absolutely have to. With all the stigma around sexual harassment these days I'm not giving anyone a chance to take shots at me.

  38. #38check2018-03-10 15:31

    Lot's of people have been burned talking to middlemen (or women) and getting their message twisted or mis-translated along the way. I hate being mis-quoted. I want to do my own communication whenever possible. I worked as a fleet mechanic for a poor-boy outfit that had 8 Mack trucks. I was the only mechanic there and I wasn't a Mack specialist, just an all around mechanic working cheap wages. They had a habit of letting the owner's wife, who was also the office manager, fetch parts for the trucks. The Mack dealer was 45 miles away and they weren't about to let the mechanic fetch parts himself. So the woman, who has a bossy disposition tells me "There are few things I hate more than wrong parts". I tell her "I agree completely, that's why I like to get them myself". I knew what parts I needed and in many cases could get the number out of the book, but you know how parts are...always changing the numbers, selling parts packaged with other parts, numerous variables etc. etc..things change when you get to the parts counter. If I had been a Mack specialist I might have known their habits better. It was the only job I was ever fired from and I've had more than a couple dozen. a few weeks later when I hesitated to fill in for a driver and drive his truck for drivers wages, which was less than the rich $8 an hour they agreed to pay me (never said anything about driving trucks when I hired on), she fired me. Another thing that factors in about tradesmen and communication is that most of us aren't great communicators in the first place...if we were we wouldn't have to skin our knuckles and bathe in grease. We often aren't skilled at tip-toeing around women's delicate sensibilities.

  39. #39wornout wrench2018-03-10 15:42

    And that my friend hit the nail right on the head. Several years ago, one of the companies I worked for had an "incident" at one of their other divisions. I don't remember exactly what it was, but some of the boys were a bit disrespectful to a couple of women that they had on their crew. Guess who's daddy was a lawyer. Yup, one of the girls. Now admittedly, what was said was pretty crude, but once again, not knowing the whole story... In the end there was a company, for lack of a better word, "policy" although you would never find it written anywhere. Basically if there was a minority working for the company, and they made any complaint, be it sexual, racial or anything. The person(s) accused would go home and the minority would continue to work until the complaint could be verified and dealt with. So if there was a woman working on the crew and you said good morning with the wrong kind of smile, you could go home without pay. You are seeing this kind of thing all the time now. How fair and equal is this?

  40. #40DMiller2018-03-10 16:19

    I have witnessed that, was warned that it was NOT acceptable to be Jovial in the workplace any longer. We were joking around in some idle time, the woman did not understand guys being playful with each other, sparring and slap sticking, she took affront to this activity stating it was demeaning to the supervisor. Over the next few weeks she was working her qualifications booklet, would ask someone to watch the desired actions and sign her book, many disappeared too busy, she got mad and went BACK to the super who looked her directly in the face telling her she had defeated herself scared/alienated the boys as to being sued or fired and they would have little to do with her, was suggested and she did change crews. She finally dropped out when the machinery got too complicated as to interactions.

  41. #4192U 34062018-03-10 16:51

    I've had a run in back when I was 18 or 19 and new to the trade. Had about 1 year experience at that point. Buddy accused me of being racist and that the only reason I wouldn't listen to his advice was because of his skin tone. I shut him down instantly in front of witnesses by telling him "I could give a #### if you were black, white, Arabic, Asian, etc. I don't listen to you because you're a complete ####ing idiot!" This dude lost his eye on the job within his first 2 weeks there because he did something I explicitly told him not to do. Had zero respect for him after that point.

  42. #42JD955SC2018-03-12 18:37

    I know an amazing young woman who was a good heavy equipment mechanic and a hard worker Sadly she was run off but is now much happier where she is at She was a litte short on body strength but made up for it by being able to snake into spaces no one else could The only thing I fear working with a woman is false accusations. I don't joke around in a dirty way but there are innumerable cases of women burying innocent guys under sexual harrassment accusations to get ahead or get revenge. In a world of guilty to never be proven innocent and the very real threat of financial ruin and career leprosy it gives one pause to welcoming the opposite sex into the workplace.

  43. #43RayF2018-03-12 20:37

    Unfortunately there is blame both sides. How many women up in the office have had the tap on the shoulder and the hard word put on them. It was rife in many workshops. The chickens have come home to roost! I have been in shops line boring and along side me a girl is busting her gut with a cheater bar undoing wheel nuts off a haul truck while a group of men 15 feet away are standing around chatting. I know who gets my respect.

  44. #44Welder Dave2018-03-12 20:41

    I understand wanting to talk to someone directly but if you can't even give the person a general idea of what you're looking for it sucks to be you. All he had to do was say he needs a drill bit, hole saw or it's for an electrical panel, etc. and I gladly would have either tried to help him or put him in touch with a tech who could. Blind arrogance shouldn't be rewarded. Sometimes the customer is a total jerk and they expect you to read their minds or know exactly what they need with little to go on. A couple years ago had a guy looking for a throttle cable for a gas compressor he bought 10 years ago at Princess Auto. I told him he should talk to them as it was one of their private brand compressors. He said they no longer have parts for that compressor and got all pizzy because I couldn't give him a part number. I told him I could transfer him to our compressor specialist who might have an idea. Then he gets all pizzed off because he had to be transferred again. He was extremely rude to the compressor specialist as well saying what kind of industrial supply shop are you that you don't even have a throttle cable... (for a no name compressor he bought somewhere else) Go pound sand!

  45. #45check2018-03-13 13:08

    Some people simply have no idea to what lengths manufacturers go to muddy the waters with as many different parts as possible, just to ensure early obsolescence. His anger was appropriate but misdirected.

  46. #46Mother Deuce2018-03-13 18:09

    I have 39 years in the Operators. I have owned my own gear and trucks along the way. I have wrenched my own whenever possible. I am female. My father was an operator my mother kept the books. I always thought operating was a far site better than hanging out in the office. As far as doing the job... not as good as some, better than most. I will retire out in a couple years. I paid my dues just like anybody with a different set of plumbing. I have never let gender hold me back. I am big and ugly and on the mean side. I always considered it it helpful when I was in a blade... kept the tail down. If you took the female operators out of the mining industry tonight, it would not get out the gate in the morning.

  47. #47DMiller2018-03-13 20:29

    I have met those as you, worked side by side never threw in the 'I am a Woman" trump card or whined they needed extra or special help. You are a special gift to those that worked long and hard, you ate with us, drank and cussed with us, raised hell at the mechanics/drivers/owners as us, you ARE one of us. I DO appreciate those women that made their own way busting their butts to be as good as they could at the jobs we have all had.

  48. #48wornout wrench2018-03-14 06:08

    Your last line hit a cord. I worked mining for a bit. Not long, bad mine. I left because I felt that they were going to kill someone and it was not going to be on my watch. Another story for another thread. The mine I was at had, god I forget, how many young women driving trucks. Cat 793's. One of the girls was a mere 18 years old. In a word, they were AWESOME. Best drivers we had. Got the production and didn't destroy the trucks. Slow and steady. The men driving. Ugh!!! Freaking cowboys on bucking bronco's yeehawwwwwwwww. A friend of mine worked with us years ago. Learning to drill and blast. She was "one of the crew" Good worker, hell of a good person. Single mom doing the best that she could. If the rest of the crew had her work ethic... I have worked with all kinds of people, different races, different genders. Some of the worst I have worked with have been the white trash alpha males. Gah! Basically what it gets down to is I really do not care what gender you are, what race you are or what god you pray to. If you can do the job, get along with the rest of the crew and not be some kindergarten kid that I have to spend my time baby sitting, we are going to get along just fine. Nuff said!

  49. #49Vetech632018-03-14 06:40

    I just remembered something from a few years ago. I was on a big mass dirt moving job where the foreman on the job was a guy I knew from another company. He was complaining that the last 3 guys he had operating the excavator (CAT 336? I think) were having trouble keeping up with the trucks. I looked over at the excavator working and didn't see what the problem was. The operator , after watching for a bit, was getting full buckets with fast cycle times and smooth operation. I remember thinking "Dam, that's looks pretty dam good to me! What are your expectations!?" He called on the radio to tell everyone it was break time, and I watched this small girl get out of that excavator and bounced over to where me and the foreman were standing. As she got closer, she got younger.....LOL I remember thinking " You got to be kidding me!" What really impressed me? The fact that the girl was his 16 year old daughter helping her dad while on spring break. He told me she was a better operator than what he could hire at the time and had been operating equipment most of her life.

  50. #50DMiller2018-03-14 06:58

    Start them early and work them as your own employees, they will be tough, unwavering and happy, an example of expectations and well groomed for the positions. But that according to some is against child labor law, stupid people.

  51. #51gtermini2018-03-14 10:59

    A local guy who runs a straw baling outfit mostly hires high school gals to run baler and rake. He says they are way better than boys the same age because the boys never call when something breaks; they either just keep running or try to "fix" it themselves. Both cases usually leading to more downtime. He says the gals jab the clutch, twist the key, and wait for the mechanic/crew lead to come take a look if anything even sounds off.

  52. #52Vetech632018-04-05 07:50

    I have taken my daughter with me out in the field at times over the years since she was 13. She was never a prissy girl and wasn't afraid to get dirty. She is now 30 years old and called me yesterday out of nowhere and asked if she could come along again sometime like we used to do when she was younger. I said of course! Its been a few years since she has gone with me and the last time I had her removing grouser pads with my 1" impact gun. She struggled at first until she figured it out, then kicked it into high gear and got the job done. She just loves to take selfies of herself holding impact guns, or parts, or whatever for her facebook page. I gotta say, I'm looking forward to it!

  53. #53funwithfuel2018-04-05 07:54

    That is so cool.

  54. #54moriboy2018-04-05 12:56

    If you are qualified, you get the job. I have found that for detail oriented tasks, such as quality control or dealing with money, women have done better for me than men.

  55. #55Welder Dave2018-04-05 20:12

    Just look at all the women who worked in factories in WW II. Women make excellent Tig welders as well because they are more delicate with their hands. I've also worked with some women who were a lot more abrasive and potty mouthed than the men.

  56. #56td25c2018-04-05 22:08

    Thought about this thread when I was at the doctors office yesterday . All female staff .... I was out numbered from the beginning ..... Asking allot of questions then telling me what to do ....... " Hey lady's ".... I'm already happily married . Need to see Doc Adams

  57. #57DMiller2018-04-06 09:09

    I see a Nurse Practioner(Gal), she is more strict than ANY male Doc I have seen and Much Less forgiving of my lacking attitude. Her staff is all women, all MEAN women!! but they do take good care of a ornery old man! Grandmother was always repeating, "Women are mean, Men are stupid(they keep coming back for more meanness), Men are Dogs"(Meaning Insatiably Horney). She meant every word of it and I believe her.

  58. #58Hobbytime2018-04-06 10:04

    nowa days I dont think gender as much as personal attitude on getting the work done is what counts..just sit back and watch all the millennial males cry about getting their hands dirty or having to get up early for a job..technology has made many jobs equal for men or women, just look at the joystick controls in equipment now compared to the heavy levers and muscle needed to move them in older equipment, sometimes a lighter slower touch is needed than heavy handed that the male counter part seem to have...if you can do the job it doesnt matter what or who you are....

  59. #59Wes J2018-04-06 10:53

    I took my 1 year old son to the doc a few months back. Most of questions I had to answer were about why his mother didn't bring him and why I was alone.

  60. #6092U 34062018-04-06 11:03

    My mind immediately went here when I read your post:

  61. #61Vetech632018-04-06 16:20

    Ive got a manlift boom to install wear pads in soon.......and I have a 13 year old grand daughter that I believe can fit inside the main boom to scrape the dried up grease. Better let her mom know Ill be calling soon.

  62. #62kshansen2018-04-06 19:20

    Anyone who has worked on this equipment for any time probably wishes they had a 13 year old grand daughter to reach that one bolt or hose. Not sure if you should be telling her mom what the day with grand dad is about. Just tell her you want some "quality time" with your grand daughter.

  63. #63td25c2018-04-06 20:28

    Same deal with me . Nurse Practitioner . For the most part they do everything the old Doc would have .

  64. #64td25c2018-04-06 23:32

    Answer the question with a question in that situation .

  65. #65John C.2018-04-08 11:45

    To put a summary on all this, I don't care what gender, race, nationality, skin color, language, family type or size, age, color of hair, number of teeth, amount of working eyes, state of hearing, education degrees, political party you belong to, who your parents were, how tall, short, skinny or fat you are. If you show up on time, do the work assigned in a safe manner and try to ensure everybody else goes home at night intact and don't create a hostile environment with everybody else around you, then you can have the job.

  66. #66sled dog2018-04-08 13:57

    John, WELL SAID, Sir. Well said !!! Chuck

  67. #67kshansen2018-04-08 17:26

    If only people in certain places in this country could understand that, we would all be better off! Not stated in the above but I also feel ones religion or the lack of one should not be a factor. I know if I'm laying on the road bleeding from an accident cause by someone texting or just plan not paying attention to their driving I'm not going to be doing a survey to be sure someone coming to my aid looks or believes the things I do!

  68. #68partsandservice2018-04-08 23:11

    Which certain place would be referencing? Bigots are everywhere.