hey guys i was just wondering what you guys think each truck brand focuses in on and strives to make it the best thing in there truck i mean like such as quality ride qulity looks performance ....ive heard mack is the work horse and volvo is a cadalac and that kenworths and peterbilts are like the ford and mercury in the truck market
Here we go
All you are buying with the name (pete, kenworth etc) is the frame and cab. The suspension, trans, engine etc can be the same no matter what hood it is under. IE you can get a Cummins engine, Eaton trans, Hendrickson suspension, in many different trucks. That being said from the trucks I have driven, Petes and Kenworths cabs seem to hold up the best over the years (doors don't sag, no cracked dashes, sqeeks rattles etc). Had a 99 International once that would keep cracking in the firewall where the clutch pedal mounts, tons of squeaks and rattles. In my opionion they are cheaper for a reason.
i have always heard you cant beet a mack off road be dump truck or concrete truck as getting around. they have a double frame under them and reduce the twisting in the frame
You can get a double frame on most any heavy spec truck. Mack is a great truck or was..... not so sure since the Volvo cluster %&*(. The Ford L series was also a great truck for dump work until Ford sold the line off and now they are history. Several of my friends run International, KW and Pete's for dump trucks and all do well. Speaking from my experience with service trucks Freightliner, Hino, International and Ford were on the low end of price while Peat and KW were upper end prices.
The volvo cluster%&* has reduced Mack to a shadow of what it was. Engines are different, transmissions are different, cabs are different. I have run Macks for 20 years and am now done with them unless I can pick up something pre volvo cluster%&*. I know guys with the Mack Granites and they hate them. The "R" models are done several years ago and volvo has made a mess out of the "CL" power train.
i personally like kenworths but i heard there getting weaker everytime pacar changes a design
How about Oshkosh? I would think that would be about the most "bullet proof" truck out there. Not worth a crap for OTR but should suffice for anything else. There are lots of engine/tranny combinations available. If someone has one that they think is a POS, I'll gladly take it off their hands.
The older Western Star trucks were super good in the off road industry but since Freitliner bought them out I like Petes for what I do now.
It kind of depends on whether you ask this question to a driver or a mechanic. But I'll wave the Kenworth flag and say Mack ain't the only "Work Horse" My trucks go through hell and if they eventually crack a frame cross member, I can have it changed out by lunch. Don't try that with a Sterling.
MACK TRUCKS for their STRONG and RELIABLE atributes. A MACK R-MODEL will still working 'till the end of the WORLD. I go with a MACK because ENGINE, TRANSMISSION and AXLES /CARRIERS are MACK built.
well we got a 89 international thats very good for us .... and a ford f-700.... i like them but ford still is way better than sterling even though a sterling is pree much a ford