Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What engine and shuttle does my case 580b have?

3steps56 ยท 2013-05-01 02:16

I have a case 580b with hydralic shuttle. I understand this model had two possablities for shuttle. How do I tell which one I have? What engine does it have and how much horsepower? Engine sounds good and has 80 to 90lbs cold oil pressure.

Replies7
  1. #1alrman2013-05-01 16:42

    Does this machine still have all the tags on it? Engine should say 188 & take a good look at the machine PIN / Serial number tag - does it have any stray letters stamped on it, like an "R" for Rockwell?

  2. #23steps562013-05-03 00:30

    Tags are for the most part unreadlable. Somebody painted Backhoe. Dirt grease and all. I will check the engine seems like I did see 188 stamped on it. It has new decals on it 580b construction king. Enclosed cab with windows.

  3. #3PAwrestling#12013-05-03 06:16

    Everyone can correct me if Im wrong cuz im new at these myself but with the problem im having with mine ive been told by one case dealer if it has a short drive shaft from shuttle to rear axle it is a mechanical shuttle. This is what I have in my 580C

  4. #4sheepfoot2013-05-03 17:44

    3steps56, your machine could have a 188D or 207D case engine 188 is around 50 hp,holds 5 qt oil. The 207 rated at 54 hp, also 5 qt oil. PAwrestling#1 the B is a different build than the C series, the hyd shuttle and the mech shuttle are a different bear due to the torque tube, there is no external drive shaft.

  5. #53steps562013-05-04 02:25

    Sheepfoot I assuming this is a case engine then. Not cummins or something else. I got 5qts of oil and a filter. I read somewhere here that fram ph8a or ford fl1a would work. I also bought 5 gal of hy trans oil and filter for the shutttle. I got a filter for hydralic system but haven't got the oil yet. Correct me if I am wrong but the hydralic fluid level when full should come out the petcock on the left loader arm when it is opened up. Shuttle oil should be at top mark on stick when it is full. Should shuttle oil be checked with engine running or not? Should the shuttle dipstick be screwed all the way down when checking fluid level.

  6. #6sheepfoot2013-05-04 10:44

    The 580B had three engines all case, 188 gas, 188/207 diesel, yes to the plug in the left frame and need to pull the plug on both loader frames to drain. It's about 11 gal loader/ backhoe. The shuttle 16 qts, after changing filter and fluid, start engine to charge system, bring it up to temp, shut machine off and immediately check the fluid level and add as needed, I just let it site on the threads when checking

  7. #7Mudpile2013-05-04 21:00

    Thinking you got the 188 diesel, it was the most common. If it were a 207 it would have 4 bulges on the left side of the engine block for the larger journal connecting rods. Case did make some engines that had 188 internals in the 207 block though. The only way to be sure which shuttle, is to remove the shuttle cover and look at a clutch housing. Sometimes Twin Discs get changed out with a Rockwell, some 580Bs do have a T or R stamped to the right of the model #, on the tag, right side of the steering housing.