Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What engine is in my Komatsu D38E-1

COLWelch ยท 2024-09-23 16:35

Can anyone help me determine the engine in my Komatsu D38E-1? There isn't a tag on the engine but the Dozer serial number is: 4740003P086051. I've had the dozer for 35years and it's run fine but the engine is in need of repair/replacement. I'd like to get a long block or even a drop in engine but without knowing what is in it now the sellers are no help. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Replies3
  1. #1epirbalex2024-09-23 17:09

    4D94E best guess .

  2. #2coalrulz2024-09-24 19:53

    Parts book D38E-1 P085799-P086238 shows your machine originally had a S4D102E-1. This is similar if not identical to Cummins 4B engines. Basic specs for engine:

  3. #3COLWelch2024-09-25 12:16

    Thanks !! I compared it to a Cummins $B from an online engine for sale and it looked similiar. I also enhanced the image of the online engine and saw this number series on the block: 51 81-04-015 which is also stamped on the engine block from my engine. Is it safe to say by this that is a Cummins 4B or could I put this Cummins in this machine? The engine sellers also want to know the HP ... as they say theirs is a 115HP. Any help on this question would be appreciated!