Our machine seems to suck a lot of air and require frequent cleaning or changing of the air filter. This is farm use of land clearing, pond or terrace building. Prior to our purchase, the engine ate dirt because of a collapsed air filter. While we try to maintain the filter in a clean state, we are curious how often others are blowing out or changing the engine air filter or what others are doing to save buying filters. The parts lookup shows a field installed conversion kit to a round style filter...does Nige or anyone have thought on why this is or if it's a better "old style" setup? We do know the newer D4 machines have a different filter design also.
You should be aware that to do any research requires a machine Serial Number as a starting point.... Also it might help to statre what Part Numbers of air filter elements you are using right now.
Yup, sorry. RST00704. 539-6920 primary with 346-6694 secondary. The conversion kit is 455-2621 or group 544-8961.
There is very little information out there TBH. I can't even find any document explaining what the purpose of the alternative air cleaner arrangement is..... First thing I would ask the dealer is whether Cat offer a turbine precleaner option for the D6K2. Attached the installation instructions for the 544-8961 kit.
Interestingly the instructions show replacing the current setup I have. Thus far the dealer CSA does not know of a different precleaner option than that on the face of the air filter box. Likewise, no information on the alternate air filter setup. I'll check with the shop manager as well to see if they have any knowledge of it. I wonder why cat offers the alternate arrangement.
There has to be some documentation somewhere, maybe it's Sales which I have no access to.