Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what ever happened to Hippo rollers?

Demoguy324 ยท 2010-09-15 17:59

Back in the mid 90's and early 2000's i was hard pressed to find a sewer project that lacked a Hippo vibratory compactor mounted on the back of a D5C or D37E dozer. Now I can't even find them in a google search. did the company fold, or were they replaced by something more effecient?

Replies6
  1. #1powerjoke2010-09-18 23:23

    a what?..... Pj

  2. #2mitch5042010-09-19 00:34

    PETA got them outlawed; you can't flatten hippos anymore, you have to move them to a new habitat

  3. #3qball2010-09-19 00:36

    that is one of the funniest things i have ever seen.

  4. #4tonka2010-09-19 00:39

    Is "hippo rollers" the same thing as cow tipping only in Africa?

  5. #5Demoguy3242010-11-15 02:53

    I finally found paper evidence of their existence! from May 1997 issue of Michigan Contractor and Builder: Apparently patented by "JB Development Inc, Holt MI, close to where I grew up which would explain why no one else had heard of them and why I had seen them all over... http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z269/demoguy324/Misc%20Michigan/sc002405e3.jpg

  6. #6nickbowers2010-11-15 03:04

    i have seen a couple in aus too