Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What exactly is a track loader? A compact track loader?

TALLRICK ยท 2007-10-14 23:25

Silly question, I know. But a lot of guys today refer to a skid-steer type machine with tracks as a "track loader". I have been told that whet I call a "track loader" is actually a crawler loader. Now here's a question for you experts, why are track loaders unpopular while the rubber track machines are so desireable? Perhaps it's because it's harder to transport a track loader than a skid steer type? Maybe the newer style machines are faster? More expensive to fix the old steel track machines? Any input is appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1Steve Frazier2007-10-14 23:40

    I can only describe a track loader as a bulldozer chassis with loader arms and bucket in place of the push arms and blade. There are some pics here: They have their place and can do some work that other machines can't do as well. The place I've always seen them is at landfills. Due to their size and the steel tracks, they are very costly to maintain. The machines you are referring to are called Multi-Terrain Loaders or MTL. They are similar to a skid steer with tracks. The reason they have become popular is they are not a lot more expensive than a skid steer, yet can go places a skid steer never dreamed of. They are easily transported with a one ton truck and are less costly to maintain than their larger brethren.

  2. #2PSDF3502007-10-14 23:43

    There also called mini track loaders.

  3. #3TALLRICK2007-10-15 01:19

    That's what I thought. The newer tracked skid-steers are less expensive new, but used can be more expensive than an old track loader. The track loaders I am familiar with and have run are pre-1980 and big beasts. A friend was joking about comparing a CAT 955 to something like an ASV rc-100. The older loader is slow, but geared nicely for pushing, and probably has better torque and traction, Yet the rubber tracked machine has more "horsepower" and is faster moving around. Also when I think of a mini-track loader I think of an rc-30 or a dingo with tracks. For an occasional rural home or farm user , I think the traditional track loader is a better choice.

  4. #4Tigerotor77W2007-10-15 03:28

    To clarify some points... a Multi-terrain loader (MTL) is Cat's name for what appears on the outside to be a skid-steer with tracks. Everyone else (bar ASV) calls it a compact-track loader (CTL). A mini-track loader is a smaller machine, less than 30 horsepower, and is along the likes of a Toro Dingo, Bobcat MT55, or Kanga. There are also stand-on wheeled units that several companies also produce. A "track loader" is the 955, 977, 973, 953 (Cat models, anyhow) loaders. Much as a CTL or MTL is seen as a skid-steer with tracks, a track loader is sometimes simplified to a dozer with a loader instead of a blade. For heavy production, generally speaking, the track-loader will still win. For lighter duty work -- spreading topsoil, tight conditions, etc -- the CTL or MTL will likely win.

  5. #5lgammon2007-10-16 22:39

    cheaper to maintain??? well we just put rails, sprokets and a rebuilt the front idlers on our 953b we did the labor i house i think the parts bill was around 5-6 grand. from what i hear new tracks on a mtl is 6-8 grand....so how are the cheaper to keep up? will never understand how people think that a track loader is an out dated dinasour and the ctl's are this great new thing that you can't live with out? i think a lot of people just want what is new.

  6. #6TALLRICK2007-10-17 23:48

    Since I tend to like what few others do, I am getting more and more interested in classic track loaders. As long as I can get one going without spending too much it would be great to have one. Even a disosaur can be a hard worker. I have seen those old machines sit for years and be revived, and I doubt that a rubber track can survive sitting for years without needing replacement. The decision I have to make is whether to go for the low cost or free project, or look for a modestly priced running machine needing only maintenance and simple repairs.....

  7. #7Deas Plant2007-10-19 10:25

    Resurrecting dinosaurs. Hi, Tallrick. IF you can find a dinosaur 'dead-un' for free and for which parts are not yet made of 'unobtainium', there is a certain satisfaction to be had from restoring it to fire-breathing life once more. It depends very much on how much spare cash and time you have, your mechanical will and aptitude and your 'restoration fever' level. If you are seriously lacking in ANY of the above qualities, you might be better advised to look for a 'runner', preferably one that doesn't need bulk bucks spending on the running gear right away. Happy hunting.

  8. #8TALLRICK2007-10-20 02:04

    Very good advice. Its been a while since I worked on the "big stuff", but in a way is more pleasant than wrenching small stuff like skid steers. Parts are the problem, but there is something exciting about resurrecting a piece of history. If I was a machine, it would be better to be someone's yard machine instead of Chinese scrap metal! The bad thing is that old track loaders and dozers here suffer greatly from the sand which when wet seems to act like a slurry that destroys moving metal. I am looking around, if the right machine is there I will give the rebuild a try.If not I can always put it in the yard and paint my address on it!

  9. #9bildrrick2008-09-27 14:00

    While I don't care for the cost of maintaining (by bobcat) of my compact track loader, I do like the availability of the service and parts.

  10. #10Iron Horse2008-09-28 00:22

    There is horsepower and there is torque , a Bobcat motor would only have enough torque to start a big track loader engine .

  11. #11stumpjumper832008-09-28 09:11

    when your comparing trackloaders to compact track loaders, look at the fine print. For instance a Deere 450c. Now look at the numbers that move dirt. Breakout force, tipping load, dump height. Here is what I found on the deere and the Gehl 85 / tach 150. --Deere-- --Gehl-- Breakout - 14.360 pounds Breakout - 8,669 pounds Tipping load - 9,200 pounds Tipping load - 7,056 dump height - 10' 9" Dump height - 10' 6" Bucket size - 33.75 cu. feet Bucket size - 20 cu. feet Horsepower - 70 Horsepower - 92 Yes, the ctl has more horsepower, but the older trackloader has him wooped in weight and bucket force, and here is how the bucket size shakes out. The Deere only has to move three buckets to the Gehl's 5 to keep even. So the ctl will need his mobility to even try keeping up. Oh, and it better not be flat and smooth, and straight, cause the deere has him in travel speed too.

  12. #12special tool2008-09-28 10:17

    This is a very important point here. The modern rubber track loaders use more HP to make more ground speed. The HP is a factor of a higher RPM range.