Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is a Cummins Signature 600?

dieseldog5.9 · 2024-02-15 18:22

I am very familiar with an N14, and have stayed as far away from X15 as I can. I have been shopping for a truck with a 3406E or a C15 or N14 but a truck with a signature 600 has come available and wondering what this is all about.

Replies6
  1. #1Junkyard2024-02-15 18:52

    Don’t recall exact details but early in the life of the ISX they offered 600 HP 2050 TQ. It was their answer to the C16 600 Cat. What did signature get you specifically? I can’t say. I used to run with a guy that had one and it was a good running truck. He had Australian fuel codes and some other tweaks. I don’t recall there being anything bad about them. It was quite a few years before any emissions BS.

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-02-15 21:10

    Early version-IIRC production stopped in 2001 or so built about three years. Some of the first were equipped with Australian ECM's--and those versions were 700 plus hp. Those were removed as per Cummins and reset to 600, No variable turbo no erg. Twin cams had some issues along with the wedge timing, and liner issues. But most all should have been retro fitted by now. * Rough on drive tires.

  3. #3funwithfuel2024-02-15 21:58

    Weren't the fuel cams soft in those or am I thinking about the ISXs

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-02-16 07:03

    Yeah, twin cam, that went away in 2007 IIRC, early ISX was twin for awhile.

  5. #5dieseldog5.92024-02-16 15:46

    So is this an engine to stay away from due to short run on parts availability, or a hidden gem? Stay the course looking for an E Cat/C15

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-02-16 17:42

    I would think it's the safest on your pocket book. IMO. No one needs to tell you it's all about reliability, you already know that.