First post - old farmer here looking for advice. I need a dump truck to use to haul dirt and gravel to develop a barn site. I have found 2 trucks in my price range, both 1983 with Big Cam Cummins, one with an Allison automatic and one with a ll8 transmission. The manual is a Ford L8000 and the auto is a GMC Brigadeir. Both and in the 350K mileage range and both with similar issues with needing tires and brake work and some electrical work. Both run good and start and stop. Other than differences in Ford vs GM and parts availability, which transmission (and clutch vs torque converter) is more costly to rebuild and if you were making the choice, which would you choose and why? I am in the rolling foothills of NE Georgia and will be on county gravel roads and state 2 lane highways when hauling loads. Off road will not be rough ground but level sites that can get a bit sticky if any rain. What advice would you offer me? Thank you for your time.
I would keep looking. There are better trucks out there, don't get locked in on those two.
The automatic gets the job done just fine, and the cost of R&R for an automatic vs a 9 speed were the same. We have replaced 2 Allison's and an Eaton Fuller 9 speed. We did the labor ourselves. The amount of time plus the cost of a reman transmission ended up being the same on all three trucks. I personally own a Ford L9000 with automatic, and previously owned an International with a DT466 and Allison auto. They get the job done. You aren't setting speed records, but frankly, that isn't your goal. Reliably getting your gravel hauled for less than hiring it out is the goal. You may, or may not, succeed in that goal. It's a coin toss with a 40 year old truck whether it will complete the next mile without a catastrophe. I hauled 5 loads one day last August and suddenly sprang a transmission leak on a cooler line. That would have been expensive if I hadn't gotten lucky and caught it almost immediately after it happened. Old trucks have old truck problems. @skyking1 is right, nicer trucks exist. Buying a newer, more expensive truck from an existing manufacturer (Pete, KW, International, etc) would probably be a better route, and then sell the truck when you're done with it. I know a few guys that have gone that route and were able to sell the vehicle for really close or at what they paid for it. Just make sure to buy something for a reasonable price that someone else would want to have.
Nothing wrong with either. I have a 90 R series Mack i use for same thing. Gravel yard is ~a mile away, so never bothered to put plates on it even.
Given those two choices I would do the Ford hands down even though the Ford dosnt have much dealer support they are still very easy to keep going and find parts for new or used the GMC was a odd duck even when new I love Allison autos but in that vintage of old farm truck I would take the 8ll
Parts availability for the Fords isn't great, but there were a lot more of them around then the GMC's. Some stuff for the Fords is still available because they used a lot of parts from the pickups in the cabs, and there is a lot of aftermarket support for old pickups. I don't know about the Jimmy's in that regard.
Big Cams are good engines, but--1983 vintage does not have lower press fit liners, those didn't arrive till 1985. On any 855 that vintage the Achilles Heal is the possibility of leaking liners, even though the mileage is not high. Liner porosity and liner movement will/can cause the liner O-rings to start weeping. Plus both will have the old style head gaskets and not the newer Celastic N14 style. Just something to think about. * Plus either one of those are a pain in the *** to do any major engine work on let alone, simpler stuff.
I’d lean toward the ford. Pull the check plugs on the diffs and trans to see how furry they are. What kind of shape are the beds in? Are they both budd wheels or daytons? Manual tarps? Electric tarps? Certain conditions could sway me away from either one.
Tarps? Been a long time since I've seen a truck with a tarp on it!
If you are building a barn, Hire the trucking, build the barn and move on, maybe you spend 2-3k on trucking it is cheeper than fixing up a truck to go on the road, and register, and insure, and put tires on. and the barn is done sooner which is the goal by the sounds of it.
Thanks to each of you for your comments - exactly what i was looking for to the man. I can use a truck for a lot more than just the two barns i am building - I was not clear on that so I would prefer to own a truck. I agree on age and the issues that go with it. My "06 F350 shut off mid trip Sunday - not sure yet if a 300.00 repair or 10K repair. I run a lot of old stuff - you defiantly have to buy it right and plan accordingly. Yes, a newer truck would be ideal and the money IS made on the buy not the sale - thanks for reminding me. I will post pics when I make my buy - the two GMCs look nice. The Ford looks well, like a 2x4 with a nail was used to beat the dirt off it.
Maybe I missed it, but are you looking at single axle or tandem class 8 trucks? In that size I'd definitely be looking at tandems, in my experience single axle class 8 trucks do not go well off road at all. Too heavy and too much weight on the front axle.
tandem.
We recently picked up a tandem dump. It is nothing fancy: 1989 IHI L10, 8ll, walking beams. For us it will be a site truck & I can see the advantage of the really low gearing on the 8ll (5.29 rears). Haven’t had a chance to use it on site yet; but it sure moves around our hilly/icy yard better than our single axle tractor (with diff lock). My buddy has a single axle L8000; has been a good solid truck…
Tandem for sure. I have several mid size trucks w 5 speeds and split rears. I slip a lot.
Allison 750 reman is 10k 8ll probably 3.5k If go with which ever had the best condition engine, trans, diffs, etc The manual will be better but the Allison will do just fine.