I have a real old Dozer that says GM on it, pretty sure it is a twin engine supercharged GM. The mechanic just charged me $2,200+ for my Backhoe and said that with a few hundred dollars he could probably get it running. He also said " a few hundred dollars " with my backhoe and that ended up being $2,200+ lol. Trying to see if its worth messing around with or just junk it
Well, that would be a Terex or a Euclid and will have a GM diesel in it. The C6 I ran had a cable operated blade. I remember it would push dirt, but you had to run it fast and push a little dirt each pass. The Cat D7 we ran next to it, would push a lot of dirt, but it would push slow. At the end of the day, the Cat always won it seemed. I don't know if it would be worth fixing that machine or not. Depends on how much you will use it, and if it is supposed to be an everyday machine or not. If you are just going to use it around a farm now and then, and if it does not need a lot of work, it might be worth spending a little money on it.
Are you sure it’s twin engine? I don’t recall a c-6 having 2 engines. The tc12 did
The machine is worth what it weighs. The cost to get it running is a black hole for your bank account, especially if you pay someone else to do the work.
The C6 was not a twin engine machine. I just noticed the mention of twin engine above.
If you are on FaceBook there is a Euclid/Terex page there and they would be able to give you the info you need.
If it's a twin engine TC12/8280 it's desirable but would likely cost a lot to get it in shape. Can you post a pic. of it?
If it has two engines, it is not a C-6. The twin model if I recall was old when I was young and I am 68 yr old. The 12 model was about the same weight as a D9 of that era. I suppose if it does not cost too much, shows signs it will run OK, and you have a need for it, it would work out for you.
Hey just got home, thank you for the replies! I figured it was scrap metal at best lol. It has not ran in who knows how long, the mechanic swears up and down it will run, but.. I don't know.. I'll take a couple pictures for you really quick since you all were so quick to respond! Thanks
Firstly your mechanic is probably a great guy but is overly optimistic its going to take $300 in batterys to get it cranking unless you happen to have some extras means we don't know your setup I wouldnt be surprised if it started but running is a long ways from working Do you need an old dozer might be worth spending a bit on if you can get some use out of it before you got that far though need to try to decipher why its parked any history on it trans bad, finals blown, undercarriage so worn it will fall off in ten feet Oh still want some pics though(;
The biggest question is if it a twin engine Euclid TC12 or newer Terex 8280. If it is some people would be drooling to have it! If your mechanic could get it operating for $3000 (not just the engines running) you'd have a very unique and fairly rare piece of history. Any other Euclid or Terex is just another old dozer.
Good morning. Ok so it must be a TC-12, I will get pictures shortly after work. I don't think it is a Terex. It still has its factory yellow so I'm assuming it is a Euclid? I do know it is a twin engine so it can not be the C-6, my apologies with the pictures, I just have to upload them and do not have time currently. Thanks for all the help And yes you are correct, my mechanic is a real nice guy, but his " couple hundred dollar maintenance " guesstimate for my backhoe turned into $2,200+ lol. None the less great guy, but once he starts cracking things open he makes sure not to cheat me in labor.. " While I got this out I might as well get you this " and so on and so on lol. I'm sure you all know how it goes
Again I will get pictures, but 100% sure it is the twin engine so it has to be a TC-12 or something of the sort. I would most definitely make use of the dozer, but at this point I am on a mission for an excavator. I am trying to figure out prices for this and my Ford 655D with an " Extend A Hoe ". Who knows if this dozer runs though or where to get parts even lol
100% sure it is NOT, I REPEAT, NOT the twin engine, my Mechanic laughed at me. He said if it was the TC-12 he would give me his $15,000 boat. He was telling me how awesome it would have been *IF* it was a " twin engine ". Long story short it is a Tractomotive Corporation Tracto Shovel Model TS-5. I just tried googling it with no info, but good thing I have the means to take it to the scrap yard lol
Scrap is cheap right now, I'd bet you'll be better off selling it as is, or at least trying to sell it to somebody who wants to tinker with it. If you let your guy loose on it, you already know there's no limit. Getting the engine going is the easy part, lots more that went wrong to leave it sitting. Do you have any history on the machine? Senile old farmer bought it new to drive around the yard, and then parked it in the top of his barn for 50 years?
The tracto-motive part is just the loader. It's probably mounted on an Allis Chalmers crawler. https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=...tomotive+Corporation+Tracto+Shovel+Model+TS-5 .
I'm 100% sure that any equipment you look at should be fully inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at. You got all our hopes up it was a TC12 and it's just an old AC. Darn. LoL
I had a concern when yellow paint was mentioned. It should be lime green.
lol! Terrible.. Initially I had no idea what a C-6 even was, all the information I had to work off was " I think it is a C-6 " and I also heard " twin engine blah blah ". I was confused my mistake. The guy was just saying how great it would be IF it was a twin engine. I am working overtime so it was miscommunication. What do you guys think its worth? Let's say I want to deliver it to my mechanics garage ( the same guy telling me he can get it started for a few hundred ).. What do I tell him? Should I just tell him he can have it and if it works out for him he can give me some labor on future shop work? Or is there a going rate for a dozer with its tracks buried 2-3 inches in the ground
I give him credit though LOL! He never let me down, but golly is he confident.. This thing is buried 2-3 inches in the ground, paint flaking from everywhere, looks like it is out of the movie Mad Max and this guy looks me dead in the eye telling me he is getting'er done and it will VERY LIKELY run.. my gosh ahaha
i'm thinking that machine might have a Buda engine in it.
If memory serves me, the C stood for "Crawler" and the 6 was because they were powered by 6-71's.
Could be an HD-5 with a tracto motive loader. FWD
I can not upload 4 photos I think I have to shrink them. It only let me upload 2. I do not think it is the HD5, I don't know
2 cylinder Detroit 5 speed trans
There it is Tones, you found it lol! What model is that? That one is identical to mine
TS5 based on a HD5 Allis Chalmers
2-71 Detroit in it. If you scrap it I want the engine. I don't have a 2-71 in my mangy collection of screamers.
old iron; you might keep an open eye on old railroad stuff. There were countless refer cars that had 2-71 power for the compressors.
That is pretty cool little unit
A heck of a difference to a TC12. You could hide this little jigger in front of the blade.
2-71's or 2-53's? The railcar gensets I've seen were 2-53's, not saying there weren't 2-71's.
Thanks for all the help everyone! Tones you're right, I butchered that one. WelderDave wanted to kick my butt, but at least give me credit for immediately letting you know as soon as I received clarification. My mistake for the confusion lol, that was a fail on my end due to the initial miscommunication
Some Trackmotive history but no mention of the TS5 https://contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/tractomotive-wheel-loaders/
https://www.facebook.com/Clarkey49/videos/pcb.2262900797079740/2262907120412441/?type=3&theater Here is a TC12 near Chicago IL. 2 blokes for NZ went over got it working (both engines seized from sitting) packed her up and is now in New Zealand undergoing a full resto
I zoomed up on the posted photo tag and it says 2 71. I could not see the valve covers to see for sure. I would love to have a running 2-53 as well. I have seen them in small generators and pumps before but have always been rusted solid from laying in the weeds.
I had an old Hobart welder with a 2-71, I think it was rated 600 amps at 100 percent and 800 at 60 percent. It was quite the howler at 1800 rpm. It once got me some special police attention at 7 AM on a Sunday gouging a push beam on a Cat dozer.
There is no way it’s going to run for a “few hundred dollars”. No way at all. I would think long and hard if it’s worth it to get it running. Old orphaned machinery is a black hole when you consider parts and support ended several decades ago and the brand is long gone. There is no possible way to estimate costs and there is a reason the mechanical work on these is usually taken care of by the owner/operators instead of a normal mechanic. It’s takes a lot of love, talent, and will to endure the inevitable setbacks during the resurrection of old iron
Most of what you will be paying your man to do will be easy . Check to see if motor is seized > drain , clean diesel tank > check flow to filter > replace filter if you can or just flush if you can't replace > prime injector pump , pump diesel through it abit to flush it > CHECK ENGIN OIL LEVEL , RADIATOR LEVEL and GEARBOX oil > sort batteries > Check for bird and rat nests . Sit in seat , if its much the same as an HD5 there should be a peddle on the floor , left side for the starter I think . note ... be ready to disconect battery in case something sticks . Turn her over for a little while without throttle to oil her , Give her half throttle , a little wiff of starter fluid > start her . Best of luck . The ram spears look good and the plates look like the chains are in pitch with some wear on the plates , thats alright . All the oils will have to be changed before working it , no sense in doing that unless they are showing water before the starting . Others may have bits to add to what I have written .
Best to put a socket on the front of the crank and give her at least one full rotation before engaging the electric starter. Make sure it turns a full turn so you know the engine is free and that no water got into anywhere and is laying places like the blower or on top of a piston or a dozen other little thing might be stuck. Starters having a habit of breaking things that don't want to move. A breaker bar in hand will stop and let you make sense of it. Waiting for a video with sound!