Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what is absolutely necessary to start a stripped 580c

Shrmndlit ยท 2015-05-11 19:14

Hi all. After a long time now I have the injection pump ready to go on the 580 C. quick side note special thanks to scpump guy for the abundant amount of help providing information an fixing the pump. now for the question what electronics would you consider minimum to start the backhoe to ensure it runs properly? I ask this because while it was down I striped the better part of the rat infested wiring and have since had just enough time to rebuild the dash but still have a long way to go on the wiring.

Replies12
  1. #1lantraxco2015-05-11 19:27

    If the pump has a fuel shutoff solenoid, you will need power to that, battery, ground and positive cable to the starter. Jump the starter solenoid after making sure all controls are in neutral. Remove power to solenoid to shut down. Make sure the alternator output stud doesn't have a wire that leads to nowhere, if it shorts you will have all sorts of problems.

  2. #2ghitch752015-05-13 17:17

    bleed the fitlers and the pump.......it should have a hand shut off cable....red nob on the lower left on the dash.......shove it in and give it 1/8 throttle and hit the starter......it will spit and miss till all the air is out of the pump and the injector lines.... i done away with the factory instrument panel and made my own and rewired the whole machine.....

  3. #3Shrmndlit2015-05-17 12:00

    Thank you for the quick replies. I have it set up with the batt to the starter and to the ground. I then take and short the solenoid to the batt as well. She does try to start and I believe I have gotten all the air out of the lines. I still can not get her to catch. I have been reading the tons of postings about how to restart but have gotten no better results as of yet. I have bypassed the filters and am using a clear tube for to a bucket of fuel so that I could actually see the fuel moving in the lines and it does. I even have fuel at the return. Is there anything Im missing here

  4. #4ghitch752015-05-17 13:20

    loosen the lines at the injectors and see if you have fuel there.......i would run it long without the filters in as it don't take much dirt to ruin a injection pump.....

  5. #5Delmer2015-05-17 14:47

    NEVER bypass the filter, if you can't get fluid through the filter it might be a good time for a new one. Loosen the injector line at the injector and crank until there's no more air, repeat for the next line.

  6. #6ghitch752015-05-17 15:34

    can't edit....wouldn't run long...

  7. #7Shrmndlit2015-05-18 09:03

    I guess I should mention I do have a filter in line with the tubing just not the ones on the machine. I bought a new battery and cranking did improve but still no start. I have cracked each line ant through injector and each spits fuel with no air. I shot an extremely small amount of starter fluid in the air intake and it sounded like it wanted to catch but no dice. I think I'll recheck the timing marks and post a pic. Thanks again for all your help.

  8. #8Delmer2015-05-18 09:31

    As long as there's no glowplugs on that, then a little more ether isn't going to hurt it. WHILE CRANKING give it a little bigger shot, then a little bigger.

  9. #9Tinkerer2015-05-18 12:08

    If you don't install the fuel filters you will be repairing the injector pump. That in line filter will allow contaminates past it that will foul everything in a short period of time.

  10. #10Shrmndlit2015-05-18 19:55

    Ok won't try again until filters are in place. I did try with a healthy shot of starter fluid and it started and died lots of black smoke then back to white smoke. I did clip a few shots of the timing marks what do you think.

  11. #11Delmer2015-05-18 21:27

    If it went back to white smoke I'd say you still have air working through. Did it get up to speed when it was blowing the black smoke?

  12. #12Shrmndlit2015-05-19 13:14

    SHES ALIVE!!!! It was timing had to loosen the bolts for the pump and turn it like a carburetor the lines matched up and one turn and she fired off. Thank you to everyone for your help and most of all to SC pump guy. I plan on putting together a new post to walk through the whole process.