Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

what is best manual quick coupler for CAT 312 Hoe

lake side bob ยท 2012-11-07 20:43

Thinking of going the quick coupler route switching attachments on the excavator. Any one have comments on various MANUAL quick couplers??

Replies10
  1. #1TCM2012-11-07 21:53

    I have the same question only for a Kubota KX121-2. Any quick coupler people out there?

  2. #2BigRed2012-11-07 23:36

    Wedge style or pin-grabber style?

  3. #3TCM2012-11-07 23:41

    That's my question. What one is best bang for the buck? Wedge vs pin type.

  4. #4BigRed2012-11-08 00:02

    I guess it depends what you use it for. Some pin-grabbers can use the attachments backwards (if the pins are the same size). I know of guys that turn the bucket around to throw dirt into the middle of foundations, rather than having to use a larger machine with a standard bucket. I would say it depends on your local market. Here north of the border wedge-style couplers are dominent in the market. WBM is the BEST of those IMHO because you can keep the same attachments and jump brands. If you're hoping to pick up attachments at auction, maybe check out whats most common... From a machine capability point of view, the extra length of using a pin-grabber means you lose break out force, as your pin-tooth distance increases by 8-16", depending on machine class. Also your thumb has to be extra long - which can get in the way sometimes

  5. #5TCM2012-11-08 00:06

    Great explanation. I am leaning toward the wedge style for the reasons you say. Simple design. Thanks

  6. #6BigRed2012-11-08 00:16

    just a word of caution on the flavours out there ... wedge angle is everything. CWS angles are shallow, from 6 degrees to 15 degrees. WBM are 20 degrees. You get better wear life from the WBM, even if all the materials are the same. IMAC are considered good too - they are now owned by CWS (for several years). Destec are upside-down wedgebar versions of CWS... I believe that CWS are no longer making their own style of lugging. If you're thinking of going hydraulic then I would go with the BMI design*. They are now sold through Accurate Fabricating since they merged two years ago. But hydraulic couplers are a precision device. Not he best choice for demolition hammers etc. * I should be honest and let you know I designed them!

  7. #7TCM2012-11-08 00:20

    Thinking of a straight up manual wedge coupler. This leads me to my next question. Once I pick a certain coupler brand am I committed to that brand for attachments?

  8. #8BigRed2012-11-08 00:33

    no ... just the style - which is where the guys at WBM got it right. A 200 size coupler on a Deere picks up the same as a 200 Komatsu/Kobelco/Link-belt/CAT/Case/Hitachi and so on... a CWS 200 hitachi only picks us CWS hitachi/deere. The komatsu coupler is wider. The Link-belt/Case will work. CAT/Kobelco are different again. Most attachment companies sell WBM-compatible attachments. CWS calls them 'contractor series' to avoid using their competitors name in their pricebooks etc.! Accurate builds all styles, as they chose not to dilute the market with yet another flavour. I think there is AMI, among others, on the East coast. Your only commitment is the coupler is made to suit the specific machine. However, you can be lucky, for example the Link-belt 200LX/210X2/X3/CASE CX will fit the Deere/Hitachi 200 series, from the 690E to the current G/-5 series machines. This is purely down to the sticks on the machine having the same width, pin diameters and nearly-identical pin-pin on the attachments.

  9. #9TCM2012-11-08 08:07

    I think I can now make an informed decision now. Thanks big red!

  10. #10lake side bob2012-11-11 19:37

    Thank you BigRed for your informative replies. My buckets and frost tooth have the pins not the wedge on the buckets. My question is which manual coupler for pin grabber style is best?