Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Is Fluid Film?

Dano50 · 2007-09-14 13:05

For those unfamiliar or unsure what Fluid Film is all about, I thought I would take a second to explain what sets Fluid Film apart from all the competition. Fluid Film contains no solvents. That statement alone means a number of things: 1) No evaporation. No evaporation means more useable product, which in turn means more bang for your buck. Most competitive products contain as much as 70% solvent, meaning most of what you spray evaporates and contaminates the atmosphere. 2) Non-tacky application. With solvent-based materials, the end product ends up being a gummy, sticky mess. Fluid Film will NEVER get tacky, retaining a super-slick consistency that provides excellent lubrication for moving parts on all metals. 3) Eco-Friendly. No solvents means no ozone depleting chemicals contaminating the atmosphere. It is classified as non-toxic and non-hazardous and is safe to be used inside the home, as well as out in the field. Fluid Film is manufactured using an all-natural lanolin base. Lanolin is of animal origins, extracted from the wool of sheep, which use it as a waterproofing wax to aid in shedding water from their coats. It has been used for centuries for its medicinal and rust-preventive properties. The unique molecular structure of Fluid Film creates a non-drying coating that can last at least a year indoors protecting equipment from rust or corrosion, or a full season outside in the elements. Fluid Film is safe to use on all metals, will not freeze, and will not readily wash off a surface. If you’d like more information, visit our website at www.fluid-film.com . If you’ve never tried Fluid Film and live within the Continental United States, just PM me for a free sample and I’ll get one right out to you. If you’re a fan, post a pic of Fluid Film in action and I’ll ship you out a Fluid Film T-Shirt or hat for free.

Replies45
  1. #1LowBoy2007-09-15 06:16

    I see Fluid Film advertises as a "rust & corrosion preventative", but how does it perform (or does it,) as a penetrant? Can it compare to PB Blaster, Break Away, or comparable products? Just curious...:thumbsup

  2. #2Ford LT-90002007-09-16 22:35

    I'am really surprised you guys in the US haven't used fluid film. Its all I use and its all I have been using for years or longer than I can remember. The parts store and building supply really doesn't carry any other lubricant besides WD-40 which does nothing. The thing I like about the fluid film is it doesn't have a offensive smell. The second its a wax based oil. You spray it on and it does last for a decent amount of time. I use it on truck leaf springs etc or anywhere you need lubrication.

  3. #3LowBoy2007-09-17 06:08

    But, can it be considered a penetrant???

  4. #4Ford LT-90002007-09-17 10:48

    I use it for a penetrant it seems to work about the same as the rest. You really can't consider WD-40 as a penetrating oil.

  5. #5Dano502007-09-17 11:11

    As far as a penetrating oil, Fluid Film will not act as fast as most solvent-based penetrants,such as PB Blaster, Break Away, etc. It is the solvent that gets them to penetrate so quickly. However, without that solvent content, Fluid Film will not evaporate, which means that it will continue to migrate down to work on and loosen stuck bolts and other objects. Spray it on and walk away for an hour to a day or two. It will work eventually. It will save you from having to cut a bolt.

  6. #6Underdog2007-09-17 18:16

    I have been using fluid film for some 10 or more years. Here in coastal florida we get a lot of salt spray. I've found it the best lubercant to use, even better than Lps-3. Equiptment, boats, planes it does it all. It works well as a penetrante, only you must give it time, days not hours. Local napa dealer along with tractor dealers stock it, about $8.00 can here. First post, great forum.

  7. #7Countryboy2007-09-17 18:51

    Welcome to HEF Underdog! :drinkup

  8. #8LowBoy2007-09-17 20:02

    Thanx Dano50. I don't know if I'm patient enough to wait a day or two for a bolt to free up, but maybe some PB first as a penetrating medium, then Fluid Film for continued lubrication would be ideal. I'm surprised, but it's not very common up here in the northeast. I did look on the website to locate a distributor for it, and found our local John Deere dealer supposedly carries it. Too bad he's such a flaming :cussing dirtball to deal with, otherwise I'd stop there and grab a couple of cans. I'll be on the lookout for it in my adventures this week.

  9. #9d4c24a2007-09-25 15:35

    in the uk hi do you know of a dealer in the uk ,i drive a gritter in the winter for a private contractor and he has purchased a new (to us) loading shovel,i would like to use fluid film to protect it for our gritting season thanks graham

  10. #10Dano502007-09-25 15:44

    Here's the info for our UK distributor. They should be able to help you: MarineCo Parade House Liskeard Cornwall PL14 6AF Tel: 01579-340455 Fax: 01579-344075 [email protected]

  11. #11d4c24a2007-09-25 17:13

    thank you thanks for the speedy reply:drinkup

  12. #12LowBoy2007-10-04 16:45

    Dano50...Thanks. Thank you for the sample Dano50. Haven't used it seriously yet, but will soon enough.:drinkup

  13. #13wrenchbender2007-10-05 07:33

    LowBoy, that little can is just right to get you hooked on the stuff. Dano50 sent me a can and when it was empty I ran over to the local Ford tractor dealer( OLD STONE TRACTOR Co.) and bought a few replacement cans. I use it on so much stuff now that it ain't funny.

  14. #14LowBoy2007-10-06 06:35

    You nailed it right on the head,wrencher...I used it for the first time yesterday on my 1/2" ratchet binders that were good and dry and stiff, sprayed some on and they seem to work smoother than they ever have after using other lubes like PB Blaster, BreakAway, etc. I'm anxious to see how long it lasts on stuff in the weather now...:usa I'll be on a search for a distributor for it now. There's one 20 minutes from here at a JD dealership, but the guy that runs it is such a poor excuse of a human being that I won't step foot in the place again. Gotta be another store within range I'm sure.

  15. #15Ford LT-90002007-10-06 17:42

    It really surprises me that you guys haven't used fluid film before. Its got to be one of the most sold spray oils available. I always have a can of it at home or in my tool box. Just the other day the bathroom door was squeeking went and grabbed the can of fluid film sprayed it on the hinges worked it in squeek stopped. Usually do it once a year I don't even remember when I oiled the door hinges last. I use it on my truck strap winches and ratchet straps. My ratchet straps the fluid film is good for months and the straps are always in dirt or dirty dropped in the mud at the landfill. My old man bought 4 cans and sprayed the frame on his 1 ton truck it was rusting it stopped the rust from progressing. If the local parts store didn't keep having it in stock I would be buying it by the case. Fluid film is like duct tape it has many uses.

  16. #16OSCLandscaping2007-10-21 12:49

    I got a sample can last spring and tried it. Stuff works great, I heard about it on LTS. Now I spary it on everything I found out our local Deere dealer stocks it. My wife was giving me a hard time about it, thought I was addicted to it, now she even has a can at home, works great on the slide for the fireplace screen and door hinges.

  17. #17Countryboy2007-10-21 19:59

    Welcome to HEF OSCLandscaping! :drinkup

  18. #18OSCLandscaping2007-10-21 21:30

    Thank You. Righ back at you.:drinkup :beerchug

  19. #19Dano502007-11-05 10:25

    Don't forget, if you haven't tried Fluid Film and live within the Continental United States, just shoot me a pm and I'll get a sample can right over to you. There is no cost and no obligation. :usa

  20. #20Orchard Ex2007-11-05 19:15

    Some guys will do anything for a hat... Here's a pic of me using Fluid Film to keep the racoons from getting into the birdfeeder. A spray every couple months or so does the trick.:thumbsup (Note the hatless user... )

  21. #21Countryboy2007-11-05 19:41

    WHAT?!.....Some how I missed that little part. I will be taking a picture tomorrow. :drinkup

  22. #22Dano502007-11-07 10:34

    I love it! Just PM me your shipping info and I'll get a hat right out. :drinkup

  23. #23OSCLandscaping2007-11-17 17:06

    I love this stuff, I think I am addicted to it:wink2 . I carry a can in every truck, see any rust hit it, any thing sticking, spray it. This stuff really works great and to think our local farm supply store has carried it for years and I didn't know it until about 2 months ago. Wish I had known sooner about the hat thing, will post some pictures soon.

  24. #24Orchard Ex2007-11-17 20:57

    Dano50, Got the hat yesterday, thanks much. The color even matches my hair...

  25. #25Dano502007-11-19 10:16

    This is what the hat looks like for those who are interested in putting up a photo of Fluid Film in action. Remember, it has to be a REGULAR sized can, not the sample cans we ship out for new members.

  26. #26Shotgun2012-08-27 14:26

    What is the best way to remove Fluid Film? How does it respond to welding? I have some off road vehicle frames I'm welding up using oxy-acetelene. Takes a long time, and the rear gets some rust before I can get to the front. Need to use something that won't kill me if I burn it, and that can be easily removed when it is time to paint.

  27. #27APM322013-04-19 15:37

    US Parts Stores Many automotive parts stores are now stocking Fluid Film. Stop in your local NAPA, AutoZone or O'Reilly. It's likely they finally have the product in stock.

  28. #28APM322013-04-19 15:39

    AutoZone & NAPA Stores are now stocking in Maine.

  29. #29APM322013-04-19 15:42

    Just use a degreaser product like Spray Nine.

  30. #30Canuck Digger2013-04-21 23:57

    I use it in my neck of the woods. Along with my equipment, I also run a charter service with a boat that has an inboard, which wonders off into the salt from time. www.riverfishingbc.com Before I take to boat into the salt, I spray the engine and trailer. Works awasome! Keeps the engine compartments corosion free.

  31. #31trenchman2013-04-25 22:13

    I use it on my ratcheting chain binders and it works AWESOME!! I have tried everything under the sun but everything I used would dry out and get sticky within a few days. FluidFilm does not dry out and it doesen't wash away while driving through the rain. I'm a FF user for life.

  32. #32Mr plow2013-07-16 21:07

    I brush or spray fluid film on prit ner everything in the shop. I use it as an under oiler for my trucks. Heck I have even used it as hand lotion in the winter for cracked skin. It's non toxic, won't harm paint. I have had steel in my shop for two years now that I coated with it and there isn't any signs of rust. It's not cheap though, but well worth the money. Martin

  33. #33crazy-mp2013-07-16 21:52

    do you still have the hat offer?

  34. #34powerjoke2013-07-16 22:52

    I always buy it at john Deere dealer......... Btw where is grandview ? He could contribute a little to the thread lol Pj

  35. #35AKSNOW2013-07-17 11:47

    We use Corexit vpcl on a lot of stuff here with good results but would love to try FF. Where can you get it in Alaska?

  36. #36AKSNOW2013-07-17 11:50

    http://www.cortecvci.com/index2.php

  37. #37AKSNOW2013-07-17 11:53

    Cortech vpcl not Corexit! Damn automatic speller thingy!

  38. #38Penciltucky bob2013-10-03 01:02

    Signed up Just come across this site today looking for info on the fluid film. Never heard of it. But, did have my truck sprayed with it as it was recommended. How is it I can get that sample? Just registered an account here Thanks for your time, Bob

  39. #39BobCatMan2013-10-06 12:26

    You might want to send a private message,but I don't think he is around anymore....

  40. #40NH-Eric2014-09-06 08:36

    This stuff works as advertised. I used it on the rollers of my garage door and it is almost silent now. Sprayed a spring on the pool door that rubs on the fence, now silent for the entire season! Bought the sprayer and the gallon, use it everywhere! even smells great, love it!

  41. #41Andrew_D2014-09-06 13:46

    We use both wd40 and fluid film. As stated above, wd40 is a bit better as a penetrant, but FF is better as a lubricant. Also use FF or anti-seize to lube for re-assembly unless it needs to be dry, then use a spray can of dry graphite. Andrew

  42. #42dieseldog5.92014-09-06 14:43

    I buy a 5 gallon pail at a time, and spray it with an old sand blast nozel, on a crew cab longbed truck i us 2 gallons, and unlike other products it doesnt drip off the chassis. reading this post the spray can doesnt smell bad, a 5 gallon pail smells some fierce, takes a few weeks for the smell to dissipate on the daily driver. a 5 gallon pail at napa is around $150, my number one enemy living in the north country is rust, so i spray everything! I have a one ton in the yard with no body on it that got sprayed last year, and you can still see that it got applied, after a year of rain and snow and sun with no cover to protect it.:thumbsup

  43. #43NH-Eric2014-09-06 15:35

    The only issue I have experienced is that it will soften the undercoat on a gm truck. Although if gm wasn't using a frame wax it would be better. No issues on my 2 cars undercoat, just the 2004 GMC

  44. #44tuney4432014-09-06 16:09

    I've been using FF forever,surprised many here have never heard of it.I get it usually by the case from whoever's lowest on Ebay,most times it's Fluid Film King.Comes out to app.$7 per can.I use it mostly as a lubricant on chain binders,zippers,sliding gates,any pins/bushings that don't have zerks,etc.,etc.I also use it as undercoating on my frame pre Winter to ward off rust.Still have my original 208K mile brake lines thanks to FF.

  45. #45thrashingcows2016-11-13 01:50

    Diggin up this old thread, just in case others are not familiar with this product. I have been using FF for many years now....one of the best rust preventive, lubricating and penetrating fluid out there. I go through a can of FF probably once a month or so, I use it on everything from electrical connectors, to rust prevention.