I was looking at a Case 580K Construction King backhoe and one of the pictures is of the specs. tag. It lists a gross machine weight. Usually I see on operating weight though I will admit I'm pretty ignorant on heavy equipment. Is gross machine weight what the tractor weighs with all fluids etc. or is it something else? If someone has a good understanding of this I would greatly appreciate it. I have uploaded a picture of it for reference.
The ROPS is certified for the machine weighing up to the listed amount.
It's a phrase used by lawyers as a key for ducking liability in an accident.
Yeah, that's not a specs tag for the machine, that is just a certification tag for the ROPS- Roll Over Protection Structure. The 4 legs that hold up the roof
I see, now that I look at it closer, thanks.
Exactly. The only purpose of that tag is to state the certified capacity of the ROPS structure. Case has designed the structure to support 17,500 pounds in the case of a machine rollover. The SAE performance standards to which the ROPS was designed are listed on the bottom line. The value stamped on the tag has no direct relation to the machine weight. A "basic" machine will probably weigh substantially less than 17,500 pounds, one with every conceivable factory-fitted extra maybe close to it. If an owner adds non-factoy attachments that take the machine weight over what is stated on the plate that's the lawyers get-out that John referred to above.