i currently have a john deere 27d i have been having issues with my current TAG coupler and thumb. i had the main pin break and it bent the coupler and thumb which i have been able to repair it but after heating and banging on it so many times i have weakened them. i keep having issues of the coupler and thumb bending on me and causing kinks in the main pin which snaps the pins everytime. i called TAG and was told they are 30-40 weeks out on getting parts made and shipped. i can order a john deere wedge coupler and get it in a few days but i ive heard no one likes the wedge style couplers etc.. so i was wondering if anyone knew of another company thats similar to TAG or wain-roy or knows of a better system to go to.
Werk Brau has a manual pin grabber coupler I have mentioned on here before. I think it works well. WB also likely has a thumb as well for a machine that size. I think the WB stuff works well. The last thing I would do would be to put TAG back on there. My personal opinion of the wedge coupler is there is nothing quick about the coupler. No doubt it stays tight, just not fast enough for me and l like the pin grabber versatility.
I put Strickland S-type couplers on my mini excavators. Great people and we haven't broken any yet, unlike my Geith couplers. Last TB180FR S-type I had installed was $7500, including labor, valves, hoses, everything. https://www.stricklandus.com/Products/Quick-Couplers.html If your thumb relief setting is too high, you'll continue to break pieces.
Couldn't pay me enough to use a pin grabber. Wedge all the way. Out here wedge style couplers outnumber pin grabbers easily 4 to 1 on small stuff.
Why not just use the wedge lock style that came on the Deere D series? I fitted one to my 35d last year and it was easy and cheap. (Less than $1k) edit:don’t look too close at my welds! Not pretty but they are still holding
If it breaks again. That is what I'm going to do. And what thumb are you using?
Good day Attached may be of interest. Kind regards Uffex
thumb is made by Peck... that’s all I know about it
Ran an old Takeuchi TB016 for years with a pin grabber and loved it. Best thing was you could put the buckets on backwards and cut tight to walls and foundations. The mini/micro machines don’t have enough power to bust the quick couplers. I’ve used a 35D and 50D with wedge and they have hundreds of hard (borderline abusive) hours without issues. If the wedge gets sloppy, add a little weld to the ears or wedge and tighten it all back up.
What is it about a wedge on small stuff that makes it better than a pin grabber, yet on larger stuff a pin grabber is far more popular?
Must be a regional thing. Its a rare day we see anything pin grabber. Even 35+ ton class machines around here are usually Weldco-Beales wedge couplers more than anything else.