What is the difference in a Ford and a Sterling. Any one worth more than the other? How do they compare to a Int. or Freightliner of same GVW 26K.
What year models are you comparing? Freightliner dropped the Sterling line several years ago.
I thought sterling was a Ford company? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Freightliner bought the heavy truck division from Ford, and changed the name to Sterling. Freightliner then closed down the Sterling division in about 2010, give or take a year.
I guess you learn something new every day and what do they consider heavy trucks because I have seen many new Ford 650's and 750's. I don't know what happened to Ford trucks. The l9000's and such used to be a decent truck and there were lots of them out there but you don't see many made after the mid to late 90's. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
My Sterling Acterra M6500 is a combo of a F650/FL60. If you tear into the dash most of the components say Ford and look just like what's in a F650. Most of the suspension components are marked Freightliner. It's been a good truck. I like the cab much better than the FL70's we have.
I am referring to the years 2000 to somewhere around 2005. Like a Ford 650, Fl-70 , or Int 4200. Been looking for another truck and once in awhile I see a Sterling in my price range. I see a few of the Chev and Gmc c6500 and 7500 also in my price range. My old truck is a GMC 1997 C6500 and it has been a good trouble free truck. When GM changed the body style and moved the engine to the rear a little more, seems they cheapened them. Almost all of them I see the door panels have been pulled loose. Every one I talk to says stay with Int. or Freightliner because you can get parts and service better.
Personally I wouldn't buy a Sterling for the simple fact that Sterling is not in operation anymore. I am sure parts will continue to be available but that's just me. If I was looking at that year range, I would choose a 4700/4900 and stay away from the 4200/4300 models. I haven't owned a Freightliner, so no comment. Had a 650 back in the late 2000's, it was an '04 IIRC. We bough it for the roll-off business and it had a hook lift on it. That particular truck was nothing but problems, it was the year model where the fuel tanks deteriorated from the inside. Happily got rid of that truck. The other single axle we had was a 238 Hino, that was a great truck. Currently the only med. duty truck I have is a 1999 4700. It's an old welding service supply truck we converted to service truck. 466, 5sp (wish it was 6), air brakes. Nice little truck, dependable but won't win any races. The truck is comfortable to drive and has great vision out of the cab. I always felt I was sitting in a hole when driving that 650.
My experience with these trucks have been poor to say the least. The cabs and bodies are junk on these, parts are extremely expensive and not the easiest to get or cross over (on the drivetrain). I have had two different trucks, 9513 and a not sure the other model but it doesnt matter anyways as they both had the same issues as described above. I dont think Daimler made any real improvements over what Ford had back in 1997 or so when they sold out so they are basically the same truck. When Daimler took over i believe the only engine option was either a Mercedes or Detroit, which i also had major problems with both. Not the most informative but i hope this helps.....
As a sidenote, I have a 1991 F800, The local Ford dealer wont even talk to me about parts for that truck. Says that anything over 750 is now "Sterling" parts. Strange. I got my 7.8 engine parts from Sterling, and they came in New Holland boxes? So who is sleeping with their sister here? Ford? or whom? Too much runaroud for me.
RZucker, I know they are a ways away from you but try Way Scarff Ford in Auburn. We had 2 800's and they were always great to work with. I've been able to get parts for my Sterling there too.
It seems like weather it is a Ford or Chev. They are harder to get parts for. I guess I am trying to get a Cadillac truck on a Hugo budget My last truck as I said was a 1997 C6500 GMC Box truck. I took the box off and used it for storage then shortened the frame. It looks that's what I am going to have to do again. I just never see a cab & chassis alone with what I want. I can get a box truck cheaper and take the box off and shorten the frame is no big problem. Its just a certain price range I want to stay in to justify my investment. I have looked at a couple of C 6500 box trucks that came from Lowes or Ryder 2003 to 2005 with the Cat 3126 and around 170K miles for around $6 to $8K. (some are asking $15K) but most of the ones I have looked at the interior is falling apart. I had seen a couple of Sterlings advertised too in that price range (but never actually seen one in person) and just wondered how they would be. Of course if I could I would rather fine a Freightliner or Int. 2003 and up because that is when they changed the body style. My 1997 GMC has held up very well, I have kept it inside, it has the 3116 Cat and 325k miles on it and absolutely no trouble. I have a septic pumper tank on it and it is in good shape and I was thinking of up dating and selling my 1997 and I would get enough out of it to replace it with another newer truck with no outlay in cash and in the end might make a little. I think I could get between $18 and $20k for it. I ran into a old 1984 Int with the 9.L engine that has less than 84K actual miles. The cab is gone. It has a nice tanks with pump. I gave $5K for it and if I can find a good newer truck for less than $9k I would come out with a pretty nice truck with no money invested. Plus I think I can sell the Int for $1500. As it has a good engine, trans and 2 speed rear end.
I say this from experience and trying to save you some grief - you do not want an early model 4200/4300 unless you are a very good electrician - because you will need to be.:cool2 I had a 2003 4300 - ordered it new. 14' contractors dump, premium interior, 466, 6 sp w/ low, air brakes - nice truck except for the electrical gremlins. I finally gave up on have A/C since the dealer would keep it weeks on end only to have it crap out within a day back on the job. When I sold the truck the A/C still wasn't functional. Phantom dash lights would come on and off for no reason. Remember this truck was new (1-2) years old and less than 30K miles at the time and the dealer couldn't straighten it out under warranty. Also had a 7600 that we couldn't keep the A/C running in it either, it was a 2004/5 model. Just my $.02.
We have a Sterling LT9500 , 2006 model and it has had problems with the A/C several times. For some reason it keeps leaking on the hose/pipe assembly from compressor to the condenser/air dryer. First time we had someone out to wok on it they put some of the green leak detector in in and it is easy to see it's leaking as the whole length of the rubber hose gets wet and has a green tint to it. Three times this has been changed and it seldom lasts a summer. I'm seriously thinking of using the last hose/pipe assembly to have the rubber section replaced with a section of Stainless/Teflon hose like used on air compressor discharge hoses. We had an air compressor discharge hose on a Komatsu that cost $100+ and failed once a year. Eleven years ago I modified a fitting to adapt to JIC connectors and got an Aeroquip Teflon hose made for $49. Problem never came back. So hopefully I can solve this Sterling problem. Then again with this Sterling there will be more right around the corner! This thing is way to fancy a truck for what we need, just sprays water on quarry roads to keep down dust. For 1/4 the money they spent on this headache we could have taken a 1980's DM600 Mack and built our own water truck that world work for years with out a hitch.
I heard that 2003- 04 had a lot of electrical problems and some could never fixed, unfortunately that is the years I would have to get with my price range.
Thanks for the info, Its been a good truck. Just the parts thing has been annoying. Most Ford dealerships wont go over an F550 anymore.
Ford heavy trucks was purchased by Daimler Trucks in 1997 and rebadged as Sterlings. It was the Louisville line that was transferred, Ford retained the F-Series heavy truck but was limited to a GVW of around 26,000 due to the terms of the sale contract. I think I remember reading that limit was to expire at some point, I'm not sure exactly. The early Sterlings were identical to Fords, but they went through a redesign a few years after the sale of the division.
Yep, that is exactly what left us owners of 32,000 GVW Fords out in the cold.Oh well, theres lots of scrapyards to haunt for parts.;
Yes, most dealers are useless even if they can get the parts. Way Scarff has a dedicated Isuzu, Ford, & Sterling shop/parts dept. I have never had an issue with parts availability but they made a ton of Acterras so that may have something to do with it.
In my area I run in to the same situation in trying to get any parts or information on my Chev 6500 dump truck and GMC 6500 septic pumper truck. I thought the Sterling would be a little easier. Guess I'll have to focus on trying to find a M2 or Int 4300.
Well just for the fun of it... Dad used to have a saying, "Dont buy a truck from an outfit that makes cars or combines". Just had to add that.
Yes back in the 50's when I grew up in a logging camp out west, some had Diamond-T's and some had Mack (log trucks) some fellow bought some Int's they told him he was supposed to be hauling logs, not hay. I think they called them "corn binders".