Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the most read Heavy Equipment publication?

AmerIndependent ยท 2010-01-04 11:24

As a frequent advertiser in many of the major publications, I'm curious to know what magazines are actually read and therefore, the most valuable use of our advertising dollars. My guess is that if you're reading this, you will more likely to go to the internet when repair work is needed. But what about all those anti-computer mechanics you know? What do they read? Please let me know if there are any other publications that should be mentioned.

Replies29
  1. #1supt2010-01-04 20:20

    Well it's interesting that you ask this. I for one look at Rock and Dirt, Machinery Trader, North Central Truck Paper and Rock Products magazine. The problem I have seen with the larger papers such as Rock and Dirt, (not picking on them, just an example) is that there are so many ad's and the paper is so thick, one dosen't know where to start because you simply don't have time to sit down and go through every ad. It is much easier to surf the internet and far more less time consuming. I guess if I were looking for the best way to spend my advertising dollars, it would be by way of the internet or smaller magazines such as Rock Products magazine, or whatever best suits the type of equipment and/or services you are trying to sell. Hope this helps.

  2. #2surfer-joe2010-01-04 21:25

    Most read? Probably this forum.

  3. #3Abscraperguy2010-01-05 01:00

    You bet. Same here.

  4. #4stock2010-01-05 08:01

    On soft copy this site followed very closely by a few more local ones (geography speaking ),used to get the CJ every month electronically,it was a great publication alas now deceased due to the sudden stop in construction,and for a hard copy I get "Earthmovers" which is a very relative publication to the civil/plant hire industry

  5. #5Abscraperguy2010-01-05 10:57

    I used to get Earthmovers over here all the time but can't find it anymore. I really liked it. It provided a little different perspective on some thing than our North American Mags do. Good little magazine.

  6. #6AtlasRob2010-01-05 11:15

    Drop them a line, I know it goes worldwide from the pics and comments that get printed. I would be very suprised if they would not quote you a price to have it sent direct to your door. Dont forget to tell em where it was mentioned ...HEF :drinkup http://www.earthmoversmagazine.co.uk/

  7. #7BKrois2010-01-05 14:28

    I know around here in New England, a lot of people faithfully bought "Big Truck and Equipment Trader" weekly until it stopped being distributed.

  8. #8AmerIndependent2010-01-05 18:38

    Thanks for your input guys! Just to clarify though, I'm mostly interested in picking the best magazine to advertise in. (internet advertising is another beast, and another poll i intend to run in the next few days ) Even if you don't read the magazine personally, which ones do you see passed around the most? I will definitely give Rock Products a second look. I've considered advertising with them in the past but they are considerably more expensive and don't offer any sort of online support for our products. However, if the readership is there, i can see why it would be worth the difference in cost. From what i can tell, Earthmovers doesn't have as much of a presence in North America which is where we have the best chance of getting business. It's pretty hard to push products internationally with all the customs headaches and shipping expenses. Thanks again!

  9. #9Abscraperguy2010-01-05 21:19

    If you're looking at advertising in Canada. I have a subscription to Supply Post which is a good mag. And when looking for specific stuff I get the Heavy Equipment Trader like the Trader.ca version etc.

  10. #10AmerIndependent2010-01-07 18:41

    Thanks Abscraperguy. I'll look into both of those!

  11. #11AtlasRob2010-01-09 06:16

    That is very fair comment, I agree completely. :drinkup Still a very good read for anybody with an unhealthy intrest in different plant and how it is utilised around the world. Often has articles from mines in the Nordic countries as well as visits to USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Not every issue covers the world but good articles in my opinion.

  12. #12DoosanFan2010-01-12 01:36

    I don't get the others, so I voted for Machinery Trader. Its the only one we have in common.

  13. #13AmerIndependent2010-01-12 17:37

    Thanks for your input Doosan, but now you've got me curious... you receive a Machinery Trader Magazine? All that i know of are the three regions in the states... you'll notice in the photo above mine says "western." What does yours say?

  14. #14stock2010-01-12 18:46

    My says Ireland , strange but it has no mention of the US.

  15. #15AmerIndependent2010-01-12 19:00

    Interesting. So are all the ads for Ireland based companies?

  16. #16stock2010-01-12 19:23

    right -on

  17. #17DoosanFan2010-01-13 12:40

    South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia, and Angola, lol. They aren't the same mag, sorry to dissapoint you, but I think that the format is the same, and well, the name is the same, so I voted for it. I haven't heard of any of the others, but they look like good reads. The one I get passed on to me is usually the 'Plant', 'Civil Engineering Contractor', 'Construction World' and 'Forestry SA'.

  18. #18SmileyMitch2010-02-26 12:48

    Best Publication is My Little Salesman My Little salesman got me the best results over the years. I don't sell equipment all of the time, but when I do this publication works the best. I have used Rock & Dirt, Machinery Trader, Access and Equipment Trader over the years. Machinery Trader gave me equal results, but at 4 times the price!! :usa

  19. #19AmerIndependent2010-02-26 13:05

    SmileyMitch, thanks for your unbiased opinion on the issue. As well as that of bronson, Charles B, D0nny, harveydog, Jim Long, Mackin, Retro, rockmover, wabviak, and webster who also ironically recently joined to place their vote on this ever important issue (then fading away into oblivion never to be heard from again ) and bringing My Little Salesman from way behind into the lead just within the last week. :nono Thanks so much for you're valuable contribution to my pole... NOT!

  20. #20SmileyMitch2010-02-26 13:44

    AmeriIndependent, you are welcome! You got my unbiased opinion. I have used and sold equipment for twenty years. Mostly logging a little earthmoving and road building as well. It was your post of the publication poll that got a friend of my who builds radiators and I talking about this site. Before that I personally was not aware of it. It is too bad that you don't like what your own question created, but the fact is My Little Salesman is my favorite publication. Access and Rock & Dirt are too far east for what I have sold in the past, as I was out west. Equipment Trader was a wast of my time. Machinery Trader is really just too expensive for the results that I got. I have used a dozen other little pubs over the years, but frankly with those I got what I paid for. My suggestion to you is this: contact all of the publications that you listed, ask them for their HONEST answers to your questions and see what you get. Be specific about the type of equipment that you are selling, ask them to tell you how they target your specific buying audience. Then compare what you get. That is what I do when I sell something. Its called doing your homework and making a decision like a man. After all you can ask us our opinions, you can even bad mouth us when you don't like what we say, but the bottom line is that your business and your lively hood are in your hands. Use them for something other than picking a fight.

  21. #21AmerIndependent2010-02-26 14:17

    SmileyMitch, If what you say is in fact true, then I sincerely apologize for my harshness. I'm sure you can see my reason for concern. Obviously, all the people i mentioned: are not giving me an honest opinion, it's just too coincidental. They all also signed up within the last week just to vote and then never visit the forum again. If you are not one of them, I'm sorry I categorized you with them. I have done a lot of research on the matter, I have contacted all the publications (which all have different self serving statistics), and I have run ads in all of these magazines to test the results for myself. I was simply continuing my research by posing the question to the good people on these forums. Naturally, I get frustrated when I see obvious abuse by somebody that doesn't care about the forums and more than likely works for My Little Salesman. Once again, if you are not one of the abusers and are just a victim of bad timing, I'm sorry. Perhaps you could tell us a little more about your company and what you've sold through MLS. I'd be grateful.

  22. #22SmileyMitch2010-02-26 16:58

    Absolutely. I understand. I have been in or around logging and farming most of my life. I grew up on and around equipment. I have spent many years in the cab of some sort of piece of equipment. As a kid it was on the farm. As I got older it was with my dad and uncle in the woods. For anyone who doesn't know it, logging is more than just cutting trees. We make the landings, we often build or repair the roads into the operation and of course we harvest the trees. All the while trying not to harm some sort of endangered owl, moth or grub! My father and uncle had a logging business in southern Washington. My moms side of the family ranch and farm 4 full sections of land out east of La Grand, Oregon. I have operated everything that we have had over the years, including the shovel and chainsaw in my pickup. There is always a need for something. I am no expert by any means when it comes to real construction work or some of the stuff that I have seen discussed on this forum, but I can run tractors, loaders and dozers well better than most, not as good as some. This last two years has been really rough on my dad and uncle. My dad decided to call it quits last year. Prices at rock bottom, little to no income, and growing debt. You get the picture. I have been looking all over this site today because I thought there would be a jobs forum somewhere. But I can't find it. I do find areas that I am locked out of (guessing because I am "probationary"). I am willing to move and will work pretty much anywhere. What I have really loved over the years is buying and selling our equipment: tractors, loaders, log trucks, whatever. I like the "hunt" of both sides of the sale. Getting the best deal and making sure both people are happy in the end is fun. I am no equipment dealer by a long stretch, but I have gotten by over the years as much by putting together little deals here and there as I did on a paycheck. Frankly, since I am back to that subject again, I find as much good results on the internet and networking with people I know as I do in any print publication. I love my wife and kids. I hunt and fish. And I didn't vote for our current president, or Oregon's current governor, but I did vote. That is pretty much my life in a bucket.

  23. #23bigdon06602010-02-26 18:27

    Mill Log Equipment LOVE My Little Salesman! When it comes to buying and selling Heavy Equipment in the Western States the ONLY publication that we read and frequently use is My Little Salesman! I have no doubt that Machinery Trader is a good publication but everyone that I have spoken with over the years that are involved with MT is only because they have done a nice job with their internet. Their printed publication is large, bulky and contains equipment that is many times a long ways from home. My Little Salesman recently came out with their own internet parts module which we are very excited about and taking advantage of. This new internet feature on www.mylittlesalesman.com will make it even easier for customer to be able to locate our $3 million + in parts inventory from manufacurers like Twin Disc, Funk, Rockford and many others. Go east of the Mississippi and Machinery Trader would probably be the best choice. Out here in the "Wild West" My Little Salesman is the Heavy Equipment Bible and the resource that we use! If you need Twin Disc parts and/or Service. Check out www.milllog.com .

  24. #24QuickTrax2010-02-26 19:52

    I use parts connection, we get rock and dirt but I rarely open it.

  25. #25AmerIndependent2010-03-05 16:29

    Thank you for your input QuickTrax! Why didn't you vote?

  26. #26sujiro2011-07-08 04:03

    Hi all, I'm looking for an information about the plant transport . I wanna know what are the tips of Trailer Towing Safety which will I do before I start. Does anyone here knows about it? Thanks in advance. Regards, Sujiro Heiku

  27. #27Sweaver2011-08-05 10:50

    Construction Equipment Magazine.

  28. #28Hutch2012-03-04 19:30

    Well....I found this forum while investagating this very topic. We are trying to figure the same things out ourselves. It took me a week to get as much info as I have gotten on this thread. Thank You! I havent heard of this "my little salesman" but after lookin at it it seems like a winer. We are in Alabama and shipping is a big concern with selling in that region. If I keep my pricing low enough will I have any intrest thru MLS?

  29. #29Huntoon2012-03-14 22:25

    I subscribe to SAE Off-Highway Engineering. Cheers, JON