Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the pros and cons of service beds

still learn'n ยท 2014-05-05 21:43

We are looking at a different service truck we got one that went thru the Joplin tornado and needs fixed up but don't have time to work on it! What is the better service beds have looked at trucks with maintainers stellars (the most likely truck so far) imt's and cant remember them all is there some that you wouldn't go with? Or is just personal preference? Thanks Jerry

Replies5
  1. #1willie592014-05-05 22:07

    One of those questions in which there is no right answer, like which is better...Cat or Deere, opinions and experiences are limitless. Check out your options and go with what you're pleased with. Myself, I've worked with a pile of different brands. Pretty much all get the job done, some had some quirks that I was less than happy about. My current truck as the Maintainer body and crane. And in my opinion only, I'm most impressed by the build and their attention to detail. That's not to say others don't build something comparable or equal, I'm only saying I'm more than happy with it and would purchase another.

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-05-06 00:51

    I had an IMT on my Pete 330 and really liked it. Really nothing to complain about, stayed dry inside for years in Washington rain. Currently have a Carco and really like it also but it's not quite as pimped out as the IMT was.

  3. #3Mike L2014-05-06 07:11

    I've only worked with knapheide and maintainer. the knapheide was a decent bed but the maintainer is in a league of its own. very well thought out and built like a tank. It all depends on what your needs are. I think the better built beds are made to outlast numerous chassis' and the cheaper beds just get traded in with the trucks.

  4. #4still learn'n2014-05-06 08:02

    Thanks guys I didn't know if there was one that wouldn't meet up to the specs of some of the others or not! Some of the things I have looked at is I want a 14' bed and I want a nice work bench on back not just one of these that looks like an after thot and don't have any room to work on stuff on. The stellar bed we are looking at has the crane compartment separate I know that is a good thing is that becoming more popular? Does this look like a good layout?

  5. #5clintm2014-05-06 22:03

    the bigger the better. get most drawers you can.you will fill it up