Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is the “retainer” it mentions

rutwad ยท 2017-03-12 16:21

Installing new seal and bearing on rear axle of Cat 416c. I definitely do not want to miss anything. What is the seal retainer it mentions? I ordered a new seal and bearing which I just put on. Am I missing something?

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2017-03-13 09:37

    I looked through the parts breakdown on this axle and the only "retainer" I can see relating to the axle shaft in what look like a snap ring, circled in red in picture below. I do notice that each of the pictures on the assembly page posted has the disclaimer "Typical Example" so might be some versions had a retainer in that area and yours does not?

  2. #2cuttin edge2017-03-13 11:26

    Not sure if it would apply, but I have seen boxes for wheel seals marked wheel seal retainer. I am assuming they sometimes class the metal part of the seal as the retainer that supports the rubber seal itself.

  3. #3Mark2502017-03-13 15:34

    the retainer was part of the seal group in earlier machines

  4. #4rutwad2017-03-13 16:57

    Thanks! Just wanted to be sure.

  5. #5kshansen2017-03-13 19:38

    Glad mark was able to find a definite answer! Guess I was a little right in noting the "typical example" note in the instructions. I have noticed other times when Cat can fail to update instructions to take in up dates in the design of a component. Reminds me of a project from decades back, a D397 with a pony motor. While disassembling the transmission for the pony instructions said to gear assembly out the back of the housing. Problem was the hole in the housing was maybe 6 inch diameter and the gear was about 7 inch diameter! Needless to say hardened steel gear and cast iron housing were not going to allow that to happen!