Hi Gent, I have recently purchased a Deere 410J Backhoe with about 5200hrs on it. Seems like a good machine but I am having some issues with 2nd gear in the transmission. The backhoe has a shuttle shift with gear selection on the F-R lever. The machine has a ZF trans. All other gears work fine but when shifting into 2nd gear you get about 3 seconds on positive engagement and then the power slips away and you are sitting dead in the water. You can cycle the F-R leaver back to Neutral and then reelect forward or reverse and the same thing happens. I've tried swapping the 4th and 2nd solenoid on the transmission but this does not change the issue. Any insight on where we might look with an issue like this?
I am helping a friend on a 310SJ sort this out now. His tractor will move forward a few feet then nothing. He was pushing a stump over a hill then this happened. I have not looked at the tractor nor am I familiar with JD but I get the feeling it could be a grounding issue. I'm not sure if there is a strap between the trans and the frame or not. If I figure it out I'll report back, this 310 has 2200 hrs.
Interesting. Let me know what you come up with... I've been talking with a local ZF transmission repair facility. They had us swap 2 of the solenoids to see if the problem changed to a different gear. It did not. Next thing was to check pressures and/or air test the clutch pack for that gear. We have low pressure on 2nd gear. Suppose to be 190-230 psi but we only have 60 psi initially then it bleeds off to 25 psi. We think that there is a seal gone on the 2nd gear clutch pack, our hope is that we caught it soon enough and haven't worn down the discs to the point where we have major contamination throughout the transmission and transfer case. Hope yours isn't something like that. If you pull up the JD parts break down you should be able to tell which solenoids control each function. If your grounding idea does not get you anywhere try swapping the solenoids for FWD and REV to see if that changes your issue.
After re-reading your first post I see that your initial problem is second gear all together. I believe the 310 has an electrical gremlin of sorts or it seems that way. Guy dug up a stump and pushed it over a hill has me thinking a stick pulled a wire " just enough " to get sporadic operations. The control say Y1 Y3 gnd. and gives a error code like 741.12
zx , swapped solenoids and it moved the problem as well. Ordering new solenoids and hoping to roll on. Hopefully you can iron out yours in short order.