Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What is this? Unidentified part on John Deere 490E excavator

joelx777 ยท 2022-08-13 16:44

I just put in my new alternator and could not figure out what this thing is. The A is the alternator in the O Is the oil filter. But I can't figure out what it is that the red arrows point to. It looks like a black tube about 4 in in diameter placed vertically and it has a black and a red wire going into it. There's also a little nozzle with nothing screwed onto it. Does anyone know? https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFypSvQZhwuvU3k87

Replies8
  1. #1hosspuller2022-08-13 16:49

    Looks like a disconnected ether dispenser. The fitting on top should have a plastic line that went to the intake manifold. Try to unscrew the bottom. There may be an empty ether can in it.

  2. #2terex herder2022-08-13 17:58

    Find where the ether line went into the intake manifold and make sure it's plugged.

  3. #3hosspuller2022-08-13 18:17

    Good thought ... Opened fitting either loses turbo boost air or sucks in dirt through unfiltered port.

  4. #4joelx7772022-08-13 21:05

    Thank you, I will look and report back!

  5. #5joelx7772022-08-13 21:23

    I can find no mention of "ether" in the JD parts catalog ( https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/74953/srch/ether ), nor in their TM1504 Operation and Test Manual for it, nor the TM1501 Repair Technical Manual. Would this be under another term? Or is this likely some sort of aftermarket add on?

  6. #6willie592022-08-13 21:28

    Could be a cold weather starting aid option if the engine doesn't have a grid heater or glow plugs.

  7. #7Bumpsteer2022-08-13 21:31

    Starting aid, cold weather start (or similiar) Ed

  8. #8joelx7772022-08-13 21:42

    Thank you! I found it under Cold Weather Starting Aid: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/74953/referrer/search/pgId/405033209/partnumber/RE48311/callout/8 I will try to trace this down tomorrow.