Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Is Your Preferred Workbench Depth ?

Tinkerer ยท 2017-11-05 07:18

My new shop is slowly getting done and now I need to decide how deep to build the workbench. I am wondering what everyone's preference is. I purchased a sheet of 4x8 x 1/2" steel to be a part of it. So, I need to be very sure of the depth of it before I cut the plate. If anyone is wondering what I paid for the steel it was $263 and change.

Replies16
  1. #1Junkyard2017-11-05 07:44

    Fixed location or mobile bench? I've got all kinds of different sizes and honestly bigger is better. I'm not sure what kind of space you have to work with, if you have the room and material to build your bench 4x8 I would! One thing I figured out on work benches, if you plan to do any heavy crafting where big hammers and lots of cussing are going to take place don't use casters. Set the bench up to be moved with a pallet jack. That way you can set is down and it's not gonna move. I got one several years ago that's 4x8 or 10, six pipe legs on it about 8" and nice big square feet. 1" thick top. My buddy came and got it out of the field I found it with his late model 580 backhoe and it damn near wouldn't pick it up. Got it to my shop and realized I couldn't move it easily but once I stuck the pallet jack under it was perfect, you control all directions right the with the handle so you have leverage. Just my .02

  2. #2Tinkerer2017-11-05 10:01

    Lot of good info. Junkyard. Room for a 4x8 isn't a problem. The building is 30x60. I had considered a moveable 4x8 on casters. I could move it with an engine hoist if I go that route. No big stuff will be going on it for me. I'm too old for those type of projects. If i cut it down for the wall, what depth does everyone prefer ?

  3. #3Junkyard2017-11-05 10:04

    If it's against the wall I'd say no deeper than you can comfortably reach. 30" or so maybe? I'll have to measure my favorite one, if I can get to it, and see what it is. Shop is a nightmare right now.

  4. #4digger242j2017-11-05 10:31

    Well, the wider it is the higher you'll be able to pile stuff on it...

  5. #5kenh2017-11-05 10:50

    Teh full 48" would leave room for tools, parts drawers, etc

  6. #6check2017-11-05 12:57

    I would go 48" depth and have 18" of junk piled against the wall. That way I wouldn't have to cut the plate.

  7. #7f311fr12017-11-05 18:10

    Plus 1

  8. #8Delmer2017-11-05 19:15

    If it's mobile, with casters or with a rail at 3" for a pallet jack, then put the tool rack at 32" so there's 16" on the other side, and use 1" pine for the back to put nails in to hold the tools. Pegboard looks nice but it's a pain to use. Plywood is fine, but it's harder to nail, hold screws etc.

  9. #9Tinkerer2017-11-05 19:15

    I won't do 48" against the wall because I could't reach any shelves (probably two) above it. I really have three decisions to make. 1 - steel plate against the wall and cut it, or 2 - leave it 4x8 and make it moveable. 3 - solid wood workbench depth against the wall. It will be covered with 11 gauge sheet steel that was left over from another project.

  10. #10Tinkerer2017-11-05 19:18

    We were typing at the same time Delmer ! I'm thinking if I go 4x8 mobile it will be left a flat sheet for welding projects. Except foe a vise sitting on it.

  11. #11Hobbytime2017-11-05 19:23

    I would use the full sheet, its a pity to have to cut and waste any of it....better a bigger table than a too smaller one..

  12. #12DIYDAVE2017-11-05 22:07

    make it round, so **** don't pile up in the corners...

  13. #13icestationzebra2017-11-06 23:40

    I would also go 30-32" deep so you can reach to back. Assuming it is against a wall I'd put a lip on the back to keep stuff from rolling off behind the bench. You could use the cut off piece as a shelf underneath or above, depending on what you need to store. ISZ

  14. #14Tinkerer2017-11-07 07:30

    I am thinking maybe 32" deep and against the wall. I would have a cut off 16"x48" that I could cut into three pieces and weld them on ends and end up with a 12 foot long bench. I could use some 11 gauge to make a fire proof back-splash.

  15. #15Tinkerer2018-01-07 14:30

    I made the final welds on the top of the workbench this past week. I am now waiting for my grandson to purchase some angle iron so the I can fabricate a shelf under it. I have two partial sheets of 11 gauge I can use for it. Here is a photo of it getting tuned over after I made the last weld passes on the underneath of it to pull it flat. I didn't know how much a weld bead will warp a 1/2 plate.

  16. #16dirty4fun2018-01-07 15:54

    I like the using a pallet jack to move the work bench. I helped tear a 300 ton hydraulic press apart to be scrapped. I was able to keep the upper bed, it is T slotted. I think it is 60" X 40" X 4" so not going to be to portable but will be great to clamp down things and such.