Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Euclid green paint

mog5858 · 2017-11-04 11:27

i would like to start painting my S7 scraper when i am fixing up as i go. but having a hard time to find the right green paint. have found a few paint codes but when i try and get them mixed or order them no luck. any ideas on where to get a good paint chip to do some color mach ? i can get Cat yellow and gray all day long. but have not had much luck with green for my Euclid's i have 2 scraper to get done some day. mine are late 50's machines. i live in Canada so let me know what's out there. thanks

Replies27
  1. #1DIYDAVE2017-11-04 20:59

    Gotta buddy who insists its a 1:1 mixture of jd green and yellow...

  2. #2bam19682017-11-05 00:08

    I've always thought that the old Euclids and the old green Steigers were close to the same color. But I have never seen an actual side by side comparison.

  3. #3ScottAR2017-11-05 00:49

    According to paint ref, PPG number 45771. They may have to call ppg for a formula or offset as it may not be in the computer.

  4. #4mog58582017-11-05 09:56

    thanks for the info. hope you have better luck with your PPG guy yes that's a real number but it's not in the computer and after getting him to call said there was nothing her could do for me. i explained to him that this would be more than one Gallon if paint.

  5. #5ScottAR2017-11-06 19:52

    My day job deals with PPG so that guy is me. So, first I pop into the computer the 45771 and zippo. PPG tells me that's a green for the coke company. I ddn't get a formula. I generic search in plant machinery and find 3130 terex green. but only available in delfleet. Pretty pricey. So, PPG tells me that 44775 is Euclid green. They also tell me that an offset is available in 82746 chrysler safety yellow. Our fax machine ate the first two but I could make 82746 so I made a dab and it looks similar. Good place to start at least. If you have a panel that was in the dark. underside of tool box lid, inside air cleaner etc. They should be able to do a scan and get 'er close.

  6. #6mowingman2017-11-06 20:02

    FYI: The Terex green was quite a bit brighter than the old Euclid green, when you viewed it side by side. Many years ago, I painted 2 old Euclid R15's with Terex green. They stood out like a sore thumb, when parked next to a couple of new Euclid R22's we just took delivery of.

  7. #7mog58582017-11-09 16:57

    thanks Scott for your help. i take these new number's in to are local distributor and see if there any help too them. it's nice to get this stuff figure out now so when spring roles around i ready to go paint.

  8. #8mountainguyed672019-02-01 12:16

    Interesting info, thanks.

  9. #9grandpa2019-02-01 21:46

    Isn't that Scotty boy something? He da man!!!

  10. #10mountainguyed672019-02-01 21:52

    I ordered Terex green today, $16 per spray can. Kimball Midwest 80624, I called them directly.

  11. #11Tinkerer2019-02-02 08:26

    Seems awful expensive for a spray can. If it is the correct shade of green, buy one can, then take a sample of it to a paint store and have them match it.

  12. #12Vetech632019-02-02 08:34

    "LIME" is cheaper!

  13. #13mountainguyed672019-02-02 13:01

    Are there places that will do that with spray cans? I don’t know of any local. It’s supposed to be some super duper durable paint, yeah we’ll see.

  14. #14Tinkerer2019-02-02 19:34

    I don't know of anywhere you can get custom made colors in spray cans. But, two lousy cans are $32.00. I hope you aren't going to paint the entire machine with rattle cans. I was suggesting have a gallon custom mixed and start spry with a gun. Either air powered or an airless sprayer.

  15. #15carogator2019-02-02 19:41

    I don't know of any place now, but when I worked for NAPA, we sold Martin-senour paints. We could get custom cans for customers. Back then they were only about six bucks.

  16. #16mountainguyed672019-02-02 19:54

    I ony need to paint the battery cover, after heating it to straighten out dents. I don’t have a sprayer, I was ready to get a gallon and use a brush until I saw these cans.

  17. #17ScottAR2019-02-03 13:45

    We can fill aerosol cans with any color onsite. Not cheap at $25.00 a pop however.

  18. #18mountainguyed672019-02-03 13:48

    And these guys thought $16 shipped was high. Good to know.

  19. #19crane operator2019-02-03 13:51

    My local orielly's parts store will color match any paint you want and put it in a rattle can. Like scottAR says- not cheap, but available.

  20. #20mountainguyed672019-02-03 15:24

    I already have a shipment notice for tomorrow, fast! Shipping was part of the price too.

  21. #21ScottAR2019-02-03 20:53

    That's the day job. You'd think $25 would make this a rare event but we make em by the case at times. Biggest customer is a concrete equipment factory. They can touch up a blemish on a new machine right on the line so they save money vs having to pull it off and send the whole machine back to the paint dept.

  22. #22mog58582019-08-04 11:23

    well, boys, I am going to call my hunt for the right green over. after 3 paint stores and all the wonderful help, you guys have given me with paint codes I have found a color that I am happy with. My local Endura paint store tried looking up using all the paint codes that were found with no results so he just did a general search for Euclid green and cam up with 2 matches already in the computer. so I when with "Euclid green #1 Fleet". the color number is CLR06661. so he mixed me up a free sample little to check the color. the only thing I am not pumped about is that Endura paint is a 2 part paint as I understand you can't mix as you go. I was very surprised to see how little green was in the mix. my paint sample is sitting on some old unfaded Terex green to help show the difference. hope this can help someone else too.

  23. #23Welder Dave2019-08-04 12:00

    I know some experienced painters that have used Endura. It's made here in Edmonton. Very good paint but everything thing has to be done exactly to instructions. There is no margin for error. Not the paint to use on a restoration without some experience using it. Also need a really good respirator.

  24. #24kshansen2019-08-04 18:05

    As I recall Terex green is a little of from Euclid Green. Can't the paint shop scan the sample and come up with a code/recipe. Never had to do it but seems most automotive shops around here can do that.

  25. #25ScottAR2019-08-04 18:40

    Not sure what you mean in "mix as you go." Should be able to mix small amounts by ratio unless their process is very different from what I'm used to. And yes to the PPE with all 2k products.

  26. #26mog58582019-08-10 10:59

    ya that the thing being a hobby guy I used to mixing up a paint gun full and then just dumping what I didn't use back in the paint can till next time. now I got a primer gun/ with a 2.2 nozzle, I don't even have to thin out the paint. most of my experience is been with Cloverdale or trimclad. I do have a 3m face mask with replaceable filters. can one use a mixing /ratio cup or dose one need to use a scale to get everything mixed right? I betting clean up is a little harder as well. I know it's good paint but worried about the learning curve.

  27. #27Welder Dave2019-08-10 12:23

    Contact Endura and ask them about the paint you intend to use. https://www.endurapaint.com/